Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Buy new computer online or local?

Default Buy new computer online or local?

I have been watching the online sellers such as Newegg, Tiger Direct and Cyberpower. They have some very good prices on configure your own computers. I have also gotten a few bids from local computer shops.
    As expected, the local shops cannot compete with a place that sells thousands of computers a year, they are asking around $150 more than the internet sellers with a one year warrantee while most internet sellers provide a three year warrantee. Where I am debating which way to go concerns the reviews from people who have bought online. It seems that for every review that says the computer arrived when expected and
    has worked great, there are the stories of how they didn't work or only worked for a short period of time. Some mention that they paid for items that were not installed. On the other hand, a locally built computer
    can be returned within a half hour if something doesn't work. Most local places have a reputation to protect and will go out of their way to make sure you get what you asked for. I might get lucky and get a computer
    that works great while saving $150, I might have to pack it up and send it back a few times. What are your thoughts?

2. Default

Local, Man, Local

You can return, service, or have tech look at if you have a issue with...

David...
    "Remember, you don't fly a Helicopter. You feel her."

Buy the parts from Newegg and build your own!

i agree w jim. or if u dont have time for that, buy the parts and find somebody local to build it for you. or if u dont have time for that, find somebody local to do the whole thing for u. there is something to be said for buying online, warranty etc. - but boy, will u ever pay for it. and u might even be able to find somebody local to give u a warranty.
    Phil Colvin

I have built 3 buying the parts from Newegg,TigerDirect and a couple of others and had no problems...Saved lots of money over store bought..
    Lou
    PPL SEL
    C150 N5261Q
    Piper Warrior N406DR

If you are even slightly adventurous, build your own! Get a feel for what your build should be. Both budget, and performance criteria. Post that info in the Hardware Forum.
    Most of the folks there are very knowledgable when it comes to DIY computers and will go the extra mile to help you insure it will work as expected...Don
    HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E, i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), HD 7970
    64GB Vengeance @ 1666MHz, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)
    WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)

You guys have just about got me ready to give it a try. This may be a dumb question, but are motherboards usually marked in such a way that it is a matter of plugging in the wiring harnesses to where they are marked? I will google
    "Build your own computer" and see what shows up. This may be another thing where I say" If I had known it was this easy, I would have done it a long time ago" Thanks

If you are interested in building your own, read Paxx's "How to build a computer".

The motherboard is usually well marked, but, you'll need a magnifying glass to read some labels. The motherboard's instruction manual usually has close ups/balloons with details.
    When you prepare yourself by studying the manual, with the board in hand, almost everything will fall into place.
    If necessary, with the mobo out of the case, make your own sketches to help once the board is in the case and some labeling can't easily be seen...Don
    HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E, i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), HD 7970
    64GB Vengeance @ 1666MHz, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)
    WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)

I got two quotes in Canada for a computer built to my list of components. The prices came in at $1700 and $2000. We are now on holidays in Yuma AZ. The parts from Newegg have just arrived. Total cost $895.
    Bruce
    Last edited by abrussell; 02-02-2012 at 04:24 PM.
    I5-2500k@ 4.5Ghz/ 16 GB Gskill DDR3 1600/Nvidia GTX460 1GB// CH Yoke/Pedals/Throttle/TrackIR/Win7/ Fsx Deluxe SP1 & SP2

"Don't let fear or good judgment hold you back"

10. Default

I buy locally myself because I can. Cheaper than Newegg and I can get everything within an hour.