Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Prepar3d

Blog Entries

Default Prepar3d

I know, there have been other threads about it, I just wanted to make one with the name very clear in the subject.
    Ive just watched the official trailer in youtube by lockheedmartin.
    I was appauled to see trying to sell some standard that is the same or inferior to FSX.
    This Prepar3d to me smells like another ripoff, sort of similar to Pro Flight simulator.

I mean, its even below FSX standards when you add to FSX things like Shade, Orbx, and even freeware stuff.
    I know some naive person will eventually lose 500 dollars thinking he will get something.
    I dont buy this marketing idea that its meant only for training corporations..b@llsh
    They wouldnt be advertising in youtube...they are targeting consumers.
    The trailer shows a submarine...how cute, you can sim in a sub!!, whats that got to do with training?
    Very poor!

The trailer has 2:10 minutes. The first 35 seconds are wasted in black screens and intros, then after 55 seconds of just standard FSX plus a few addons of rubbish video, the trailer ends with another 40 seconds of black screens and ending logos. Fishy !!!

And what is Prepar3d after all? Is it made using MS engine? Its so similar.
    At least they have a refund policy. Interesting to see customer reviews in future.
    Last edited by Kapitan; 09-22-2011 at 02:12 PM.
    Kapitan
    Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

Lockheed Martin officially licensed the code from Microsoft. It is aimed at commercial and military users, though they certainly won't turn away the rest of us.

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/news/p...0Prepar3d.html

And they have been polishing up and improving the code beyond the state it was in when they got it.

There's a forum for it at the FSDeveloper site.

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=103
    Last edited by loki; 09-22-2011 at 02:31 PM.

Time to do a little research. LM lisenced the code to FSX and used it to make their program, Prepar3d.

And what is Prepar3d after all? Is it made using MS engine? Its so similar.
    Where have you been for the past few years?

Lockheed-Martin (NYSE: LMT) licensed the entire source code for Microsoft's commercial spin-off product "ESP v1.0" several years ago for some undisclosed millions of dollars, when Microsoft decided to abandon the commerical development enterprise.

Prepar3D is the name now given to L-M's version of the commercial simulation product, but they are continuing in the same direction that Microsoft began to create a "world simulation" platform. One which may be used in a large variety of government and private industry training applications.

I would advise exercising a bit of caution in tossing out potentially libelous comments given that Lockheed-Martin most assuredly has as least as large a legal staff as Microsoft, perhaps even larger...

Understand one thing if nothing else. Prepar3D is a professional level commercial platform, and is not targeted to the casual consumer market. Now, that said...

...L-M is perfectly comfortable with anyone licensing "Prepar3D" for whatever use they wish. Indeed, just recently a number of "really serious simmers" have taken out a "Developer's License" for $9.95/month for the simple reason that -unlike FSX- it is not a "dead-end product." Lockheed-Martin's staff programmers are hard at work continuing to fix legacy issues and add new capabilities.

Orbx as well as other well-known development houses are working on products for Prepar3D, but you can be sure that their pricing will definitely not be the least bit "casual."

Here's a link to a recent article about "Prepar3D":

[top]Lockheed Martin's Prepar3D Software to Soar at National Flight Academy

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/news/p...par3D-NFA.html

You probably should have spent just a bit more time with "Mr. Google" doing some research... Just saying...
    Last edited by n4gix; 09-23-2011 at 02:57 PM.
    Bill Leaming
    Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations
    Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator
    Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium
    Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional
    Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium
    NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

Blog Entries

ok, thanks..my fault
    now its clear, LM bought an obsolete and discontinued engine for millions and its now trying to make some back selling at 500 a piece when very soon a new engine will be out from MS.
    Does LM CEO know about this "brilliant" business?
    Last edited by Kapitan; 09-22-2011 at 03:49 PM.
    Kapitan
    Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

I'd be willing to bet, that the entire L/M board of directors has a copy of that sim.
    More than likely all their division chiefs and plenty of underlings too. Theirs would probably put ours to shame at that.

-unlike FSX- it is not a "dead-end product." Lockheed-Martin's staff programmers are hard at work continuing to fix legacy issues and add new capabilities.
    Gee-Willickers, FSX without the bugs, and a detailed planet. I wonder, access to all the internal variables? $9.95/month? Tempting. Very tempting...Don
    HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E, i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW
    GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)
    WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)

now its clear, LM bought an obsolete and discontinued engine for millions and its now trying to make some back selling at 500 a piece when very soon a new engine will be out from MS.
    I think you need to keep reading up on where Prepare3D came from, and what it is being developed for. It evolved out of Microsoft's ESP product which was created to use the FSX technologies in the commercial and military worlds. Other products already existed, but were far more expensive. As with many things in the computer world, consumer level technology has caught up to what used to be specialized high end custom, and expensive, systems. Lockheed is just continuing on from where Microsoft left ESP. This includes updating the core engine driving the sim, so it isn't obsolete too. Sounds like a brilliant business plan to me.

http://www.simpilotnet.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=202&Itemid=32

Blog Entries

Kapitan,

The use of this title is nothing like a game or home simulation. There are many more factors that drive a commercial simulation beyond looks and the functionality YOU find valuable. Prepar3d doesn't aim to impress you, it aims to impress the 10's of thousands of individuals tasked with creating weapons system current simulations where systems integration is a lot more important than anything else. They are marketing a diverse platform and engine that can be used for just about anything. Virtually every single military base on the planet has some sort of simulation setup, most of them have several. Being able to accurately simulate THEIR weapons system matters. I've flown USAF simulators that have graphics akin to FSFW95, and no one cared that newer home cessna 172 simulations abounded in the last decade.
    FAA Certified Flight Instructor, ATP/Commercial Pilot and Airframe/Powerplant mechanic CFI/CFII/MEII/ATP-MEL/A&P
    American Corporate Pilot

AMD X6 1090T black edition CPU, liquid cooled
    NVIDIA GTX 480 1.5Gb GPU
    8G DDR3-1600 RAM
    3TB storage, plain hard drives

The recent thread about Microsoft Flight caused me to look this whole question up in Wikipedia. Naturally, using my ironclad memory, I now forget the name of the article I read, but it laid out some basic points and I would like to see if I can get them verified or debunked.

First, that in addition to the legal rights to the software, Lockheed Martin got virtually the entire original flight simulator design team Microsoft laid off. So, this Prepar3d is the brainchild of the guys who have created not only FSX, but everything going back to Brucc Ardwick (sp). Is that true or not true?

I guess there isn't any Second, but if it is the case, it makes me a lot less interested in the entire question all this so called Microsoft Flight. I have a feeling that the suits at Microsoft are a lot more interested in a video arcade type of "game" which they can sell to millions, rather than the relatively small population of dedicated flight simulator enthusiasts.

I have said repeatedly that I am a freeware guy; in well over 10 years I haven't bought a single payware anything. But I am much more interested in what those guys are doing and would probably be a lot more likely to pay $500 for it, be cause if I am not wrong, Prepar3d will be the true successor to flight simulator.

I would really like to get straightened out on what points I have wrong, before I go plugging them permanently into my brain.

Tres

OK, in a blaze of high energy motivation, I actually went to the Prepar3d Site and did a little (very little) reading up. Correct me if I am wrong, as is frequently the case, but it appears that this product, rather than being a flight simulator, is an environment in which a lot of things, flight simulator or something like it being one, can be created. The $499 bouncing around in my head buys you a license to develop your own things, one of which might be a flight simulating program.

But I am still curious to know if the guys who are creating (have created) this are basically the old original flight simulator design team who got laid off by Microsoft a year or two ago?

My head hurts; I just want to go flying.