Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: FSX on Windows 8

Default FSX on Windows 8

Here are a few screen shots.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FSXWIN8.jpg 
Views:	1709 
Size:	189.4 KB 
ID:	108681   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MetroFSX.jpg 
Views:	1733 
Size:	168.6 KB 
ID:	108680  

Hey Paxx! Cool! I didn't see it on TechNet, so did the ol' MS search. Downloading the "Windows Developer Preview with developer tools English, 64-bit (x64)" ISO now.

Any issues installing FSX? Same as Win 7, ala; C:Games\FSX rather than default C:\Progam Files(x86)? That could save me some time finding out, Thank You!

Thanks for the HU...Don
    HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E, i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), HD 7970
    64GB Vengeance @ 1666MHz, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)
    WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)

I don't plan on running my full FSX setup on it, I just installed FSX Deluxe to the default location. The system it is on uses onboard graphics (Intel X4500 or something), with an old Q6600/2Gb RAM pushing the bits around. It runs and installs as expected. UAC is present and active, so you will probably want to install outside the defaults to prevent those UAC/FSX/Add-On issues.
    After putting everything at about 3/4 in Settings, I get 24FPS while flying the FS default flight (Friday Harbor), and 15FPS around JFK NYC. Same as Win7 for the most part I would guess. I have not tweaked FSX at all, or turned on AA.

Test machine only, I do however have it hooked up to a 20"/4:3 touch monitor for the Metro stuff and for the desktop Metro (Media Center /cough) is shall we say a bit idiotic. I have previous experience waving my arms around in front of the monitor using a large touch screen (Win Media Center on the living room TV, the reason I have a touch screen monitor in the first place), and it is interesting for about 30 seconds, after that its just you waving your arms around in front of a monitor taking way more energy and motion to accomplish what is accomplish-able far easier with a mouse/keyboard. I have since (2 years ago) replaced the Media Center control with a nice universal remote, the thumb being mightier than the waving arms bit. Is this a Ballmer innovation?

Win 8 Desktop interesting and fairly stable for a Dev preview.
    Win 8 Metro, pretty good on a 3" -7" screen I would imagine. Anything larger, heh ok, where do I turn this off at? (Note - You can't at the moment).
    Last edited by Paxx; 09-15-2011 at 02:42 PM.

Thanks for the info and insight. I'm still on my "works in a drawer"(Shut down, key off, swap drive drawers, key on, Go!) computer, so, I should be able to have everything just as it is. Hopefully it's just a matter of swapping in a new drive tray(I have one with a virgin Win 7), snatching a restore, and then installing the Eight on that.
    If the D/L ever finishes!...Don
    HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E, i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), HD 7970
    64GB Vengeance @ 1666MHz, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)

If you just want to play with Windows 8, and not run something like FSX on it, you could just try using VMware Player or VirtualBox. No need to swap hard drives or reboot. I've got the 8 Dev Preview running under Parallels Desktop on my Mac right now.

Paxx, the Metro interface is meant to be used with a mouse and keyboard on desktop machines. They aren't trying to make desktop users hold their arms straight out for hours on end. As this is a preview there are things missing that would help with the mouse and keyboard use though. Windows Media Center was designed to be used with a remote, not a touch screen. While Microsoft can be a little clueless with the user experience side of things, they aren't that bad.

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2011/09/hands-on-with-windows-8-a-pc-operating-system-for-the-tablet-age.ars

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/new...the-pc-age.ars
    Last edited by loki; 09-15-2011 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Added a link

Ya I agree loki except Metro doesn't thrill me using a mouse and keyboard either with this build (I realize the desktop-side is rudimentary at best). It's still very Media Center like, and jesters on a sketch/touchpad works kinda (wave a finger not an arm). I'm not adverse to change, but I am adverse to change for changes sake only. I put it on an older netbook also and despite some graphics driver glitches I have metro apps working as well as the desktop with pretty equivalent to XP performance. Optimized a bit I would say.

What is interesting is that for the most part when you are at the "classic" desktop the Metro stuff suspends as verified by new Task manager, which is excellent. The memory management seems to be tweaked a bit too, I like that and that may have nice benefits for FSX in particular.

Today there was a session on XBox Live on win 8. Makes me wonder how Flight fits into this.

scott s.

No need to swap hard drives or reboot.
    It takes about a minute on mine(no screws or connectors to fiddle with) and will totally isolate my existing install. Besides, my SSD isn't big enough!

users hold their arms straight out for hours on end
    Kinda reminds me of early television antennae. A little higher honey, oooh, back-up, hold still...There!...Don

9. Default

An OS like this would be fine for tablet use but for desktop I see no advantage over Win 7 64 bit. Although getting older, I may need a four inch icon to aim at with the mouse at some later time.
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3R, Intel Core2Duo 3.3 GHZ E8600 Wolfdale
    Xigmatek HDT-S1283 CPU Cooler, 8 GB G-Skill F2-8500CL5
    EVGA GTX 260, Viewsonic 27 inch lcd
    Antec 750 Bronze power supply, Win 7 64 bit, Fsx on separate 'Raptor drive

Quote Originally Posted by scott967 View Post
    Today there was a session on XBox Live on win 8. Makes me wonder how Flight fits into this.

scott s.
    It appears to me that the words Store, Thirty Percent and Add-ons will occur magically in the Microsoft mindset.