Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 Professional 32 bit vs 64bit FSX personal experience?

Default Windows 7 Professional 32 bit vs 64bit FSX personal experience?

Hi,

My system will support either. The Widows 7 advisor says my system will allow 7 Professional to run in XP mode. I need this for older programs.
    Any recommendations from people with FSX personal experience involving 32 or bit versions?

Jim F.

If you have 64bit support go for it. 64bit just gives Windows a bigger pipeline, this allows it to handle computers with large amounts of system memory, larger partitions and programs have access to more things ... on the inside, Windows is still the same, the only difference is one has a bigger pipe than the other. Perhaps FSX takes advantage of this? I don't know. I would have gone with Windows7 Ultimate

Quote Originally Posted by faostube View Post
    If you have 64bit support go for it. 64bit just gives Windows a bigger pipeline, this allows it to handle computers with large amounts of system memory, larger partitions and programs have access to more things ... on the inside, Windows is still the same, the only difference is one has a bigger pipe than the other. Perhaps FSX takes advantage of this? I don't know. I would have gone with Windows7 Ultimate
    IMHO Ultimate is a waste of money and space, unless you use your 'flying ' pc for other work.

Ignore what your advisor told you about using XP Mode for FS. Microsoft says:

Windows XP Mode was primarily designed to help businesses move from Windows XP to Windows 7. It isn't optimized for graphic-intensive programs such as 3D games, nor is it well suited for programs with hardware requirements such as TV tuners.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/w...e-in-windows-7

The only thing you have to worry about regarding the 64 bit operating system is drivers for older printers, scanners, etc. Some manufacturers refuse to provide new drivers. I have had no problems with older 32 bit software (yet).
    MSI P55-CD53, Intel i7-860-3.7Ghz, NVida GeForce 560 - 1GB, 4GB SDRAM DDR3 1333, WD 750GB-7200rpm-32MB, Windows 7-64 bit
    Acer 23"WS LCD and Benq 19" LCD, CH yoke and pedals, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, TrackIR 5, FSX Deluxe w/Acceleration, UTX-USA, GEX, ASE, WOAI, ADE, FSDS

6. Default

Win7 x64 is the best OS that Microsoft has yet made. The message regarding XP mode is simply another way of saying that your hardware will support virtualization and can run a VM optimized for XP - I have never found a use for XP mode and you certainly do not want to run FS in that way. If you have 16 bit legacy apps they will not run under the 64 bit OS. FSX runs best under a 64 bit OS, even though it is a 32 bit app itself. You will want to install FSX SP1 and SP2 or Acceleration (which contains both) for best results.

DJ

I've been using Xin7 X64 with both FSX and FS9.
    Zero problems.
    Just install FS to a separate directory outside "program files" with the recommendations posted in this forum.
    Cool beans, Bob

Quote Originally Posted by davidjones View Post
    Win7 x64 is the best OS that Microsoft has yet made.
    Off topic, but OS/2 is the best OS Microsoft ever made. Sadly they got into a tiff with IBM, so they never released it under there name, but they did make it.

Windows 7 x64 is a very nice OS as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mafoo View Post
    Off topic, but OS/2 is the best OS Microsoft ever made...
    It may have been darn good, but, a lack of hardware drivers made it tough to incorporate into custom built machines. That made it not very desirable at the time. It did have long filename capability that made it much better than DOS or the early Windows platforms. You just needed an IBM OS2 compatible rig.

I think Windows 7 is very good, but, personally, I think MS needs to put forth a "Gamer" specific OS.
    Something without all of the "Bells & Whistles" and minimal background ops. Modularized maybe?...Don
    HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E, i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), HD 7970
    64GB Vengeance @ 1666MHz, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)
    WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)

Quote Originally Posted by fxsttcb View Post
    I think Windows 7 is very good, but, personally, I think MS needs to put forth a "Gamer" specific OS.
    Something without all of the "Bells & Whistles" and minimal background ops. Modularized maybe?...Don
    They did. And they even designed custom hardware for the purpose too!