Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Detonator 30.30's are here...

Simon Evans Guest

Default Detonator 30.30's are here...

www.guru3d.com.

All o/s's supported.

Simon Evans

pfrance Guest

Default RE: Detonator 30.30's are here...

Have you tried them Simon?

It appears that the latest updates have been aimed at the top end (GeForce4, etc) with little or no improvement to the GeForce2's. Unless, of course, you know different.
    I really would like your opinion.

Regards,

Peter France

dinger Guest

That seems to be the case with me, with the last update. I am using a GeForce256, and the 29.42 drivers caused lockups with both Warcraft 3 and GTA3. I went back to 28.32 and everything was back to normal again.

pfrance Guest

That is my point precisely, Jason, although I did not experience a degrading in performance, I didnít notice any improvement either.

Regards,

Peter France

Chpwg Guest

Hi,
    Without ever wishing to speak on behalf of Simon, I think he stated once in and earlier post that the later drivers are more intended for the later GEForce 3 or 4 cards.
    The earlier GEForce 2 card drivers 'peaked' several months ago now, and the latest drivers can do no more for them.
    My apologies to Simon if this is incorrect, but that was my interpretation.
    Cheers
    Chpwg

Simon Evans Guest

Exactly. Although there might still be some minor improvements still lurking inside new drivers, as far as the older cards are concerned things have peaked. However, there is always the possibility of a surprise or two. And if you don't try you'll never know! The anisotropy gains being a recent example, if you use anistropic filtering. Which I don't any longer.

Haven't had the opportunity to do anything other than d/l 'em and bung 'em in but am not discerning any difference outside of FS. A full test within the FS2002 environment will have to wait until later.

Simon Evans

Simon Evans Guest

Default First results indicate...

No major improvements in FS over the Omega drivers/29.80 Detonators on my GF3 Ti200, as expected.
    However, I do find that Internet Explorer is changing pages fractionally quicker, and the frame rates in other games are definitely improved.
    Possibly, the quality is improved over untweaked 29.xx series drivers, but I only have 29.80's to compare with, and they were altered by me to suit my needs, so possibly I'm not comparing like-for-like. So just on that basis, they're keepers for me. But then I'm not trying to fix stability or speed issues...

Needs a wider testing base, but I would say that these are worth a try if you have any of the earlier drivers installed, but if changing from more recent sets be prepared to be underwhelmed.

If these are the first of the `Detonator 5's` then perhaps only GF4 owners will notice the difference.

Simon Evans

aep Guest

Default RE: First results indicate...

I also have a GF3 Ti200, but I have the 29.42 drivers for it and I don't alter any settings. I get the occasional lock ups with these drivers. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try the new drivers, if anything I should see a performance increase, right?

Simon Evans Guest

No reports I've seen indicate a lower performance so yes, you should see some kind of improvement, even if it is only the end of the lock-ups.

Simon Evans

Simon Evans Guest

OK, so six hours of testing later, here's the pukka gen:

These drivers have done something to my clouds that I like. I REALLY like..!
    Frame rates are on a par with previous drivers (29.80 and Omega 29.42b) but the overall picture quality is the best yet.

Subjective, I know, and I can't be more specific but I've spent the last three days looking at various different drivers and tweaks from the point of view of visual quality and these are worth the download, they are worth trying - and they are rock-solid stable on my rig, at least.

Anyone else agree? Disagree?

Simon Evans