Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: will adding RAM help FSX run better

Default will adding RAM help FSX run better

I am running 2GB DDR2 ram, will upping it to 4 GB help it run better. Running windows 7 32 bit.

Adding RAM to any computer will always help the whole system run faster. The reason being that if you have large or heavy duty programs running , they most likely have to continuously access the hard drive back and forth for information they are looking for. When you have lots of memory that stuff is loaded "into the air" so to speak and there is far less access back and forth to the hard drive.So it also saves wear and tear to your hard drive.
    So yes with the price of memory what it is today and it only takes seconds to swap in and out the new , I would certainty do it. In many instances today stores will sell you the memory and you can simply change it in and out yourself in seconds. Just be careful not to do it if you are in or on a static electricity environment. (ie. dont be standing on a nice wall to wall carpet). Static electricity can destroy that memory chip in a flash if you discharge yourself to it with your fingers.
    Depending on your computer setup, you may just be able to slide the new chip in alongside the old one if slots are open. In some instances you may have to slide out the old smaller one and slip in the new one. In any event, its a simple task with directions provided or just ask the salesperson which you need to do where you buy it.

One caveat. If you have tons of scenery, and tons of buildings, and tons of cars, and tons of planes on the runway surrounded by tons of trees and you have all settings maxed out and are experiencing some "jumpiness" ,more memory may help that considerably, but you need to use some common sense also. Memory wont be a "miracle" worker although it will improve things greatly as already mentioned.

I am running Windows 7 64 Pro with the memory maxed out also. And can multitask FSX with several other programs running at the same time without any slowdown of any sort in any program..

Good luck.
    Last edited by Dick101; 07-25-2011 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnyyz View Post
    I am running 2GB DDR2 ram, will upping it to 4 GB help it run better. Running windows 7 32 bit.
    In a way, yes. Search for the /3GB switch and Large Address Aware - using those in a 32bit system with 4G will help prevent OOM errors and will help FSX run better. But, for example, going from 4GB to 8GB would have no effect whatever on FSX.

Vic

P3D Rig
    I7 3770K @ 4.73ghz Asus Sabertooth Z77 16G G.Skill 1600 7-8-7-24 2T EVGAGTX780 Corsair 1000W PSU 2 - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - OS & P3D HAF 942 - Corsiar H100i Liquid Cooler W7 64 Home Premium.

As I already posted elsewhere, when I ordered my Win 7 64-but computer with 4 Gb of memory, the technician told me that would probably not be enough and suggested I order 8 Gb (he works for the University and not the seller so he has no vested interest).

Quote Originally Posted by johnyyz View Post
    What type of RAM do you have now? Single Channel? or Dual Channel?

Here is my info:
    Name:  system memory.PNG
Views: 1826
Size:  8.7 KB

Yes, I am running with 2 GB on a 32 bot OS. I am using a 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory kit.

Something I want to say here about the /3GB switch you read about in forums. I edited this to add this very simple answer to what / 3GB switch does. In a nutshell: The /3GB switch changes the way the 4GB virtual address space is split up. Instead of splitting it as 2GB of user mode virtual address space and 2GB of kernel mode virtual address space, the split is 3GB of user mode virtual address space and 1GB of kernel mode virtual address space.

So, it has nothing to do with physical memory or virtual memory.

Here is link I would recommend anyone to check out: Summary of the recent spate of /3GB articles, dated 22 August 2004. Explains /3GB switch myths. This information still applies to Windows 7.

Microsoft link for more information: 4 Gigabyte Tuning

So far I have not experienced any issues with FSX.
    Last edited by IvanOhio; 07-26-2011 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Clarify some things

Uh, no.

On a 32 bit system there is 4GB of Virtual Address Space (VAS) +/-. This is the total capacity for RAM (memory) usage, be it Virtual or Physical. A 32bit OS typically divides this Virtual Address Space (VAS) between the Operating Systems use (2GB) and the applications use (2GB). The /3G switch allows you to assign more VAS (memory addresses - virtual or physical) to the applications at the cost of less VAS for the OS, for example 1.5GB of VAS for the OS and 2.5GB of VAS for the applications. This allows 32 bit applications that are flagged Large Address Aware (which FSX is) to use more VAS, and thus more "memory" whether that memory is a stick of RAM or Virtual Memory (swap file) on your hard drive supplied by the OS.

Virtual Address Space (VAS) and Virtual Memory are two separate entities. VAS is used as an addressing map system by the OS for RAM (both physical and virtual) use. Virtual Memory (swap file) is memory supplied by the OS using some hard disk space as a sort of "Virtual RAM Stick".

To answer the OP question, yes an additional 2GB stick of RAM will help your computer overall but for FSX don't expect much, if any improvement for frames per second. If you are running FSX Gold/Accel/SP1/SP2 using the /3G Switch would allow you to use some additional RAM above 2GB which would help you if you are running highly detailed aircraft and scenery somewhat. Since we know nothing about the rest of your computer's components it is hard to say if the RAM is your FSX "bottleneck", but I'm pretty sure it isn't.

*Note - sometimes a swap file is known as a pagefile.
    Last edited by Paxx; 07-26-2011 at 12:01 PM.

7. Default

Short and sweet answer...... Without knowing the rest of your system, the answer is YES, it will definatly help. Win 7 uses over a gig just to run the system. 4 gigs will help, 8 is better.

To clarify my earlier post - in a 32bit system 8G will help your computer run better - it will have no effect on FSX for reasons outlined in earlier posts.

Vic

P3D Rig
    I7 3770K @ 4.73ghz Asus Sabertooth Z77 16G G.Skill 1600 7-8-7-24 2T EVGAGTX780 Corsair 1000W PSU 2 - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - OS & P3D HAF 942 - Corsiar H100i Liquid Cooler W7 64 Home Premium.

Quote Originally Posted by vgbaron View Post
    To clarify my earlier post - in a 32bit system 8G will help your computer run better - it will have no effect on FSX for reasons outlined in earlier posts.

Vic
    The physical memory limit of 32-bit XP is 4Gb - it won't use any more.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...its_windows_xp
    Last edited by mgh; 07-26-2011 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mgh View Post
    The physical memory limit of 32-bit XP is 4Gb - it won't use any more.http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...its_windows_xp
    The limit for all 32 bit desktop Windows systems is 4GB of virtual address space. When you factor in the address requirements for the video card and other hardware, the practical limit is more like 3.5GB of useable RAM.