Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Editing .Air Files to Modify Power

1. Post Editing .Air Files to Modify Power

I have aircraft that I feel and are obviously mispowered. They either have too much or too little power, or the power ratios are all off.

What I mean is that I would like to edit the power, the N1 as well as the ratio of N1% with the overall speed of the aircraft. I do not know
    much about how to do this. Can someone explain what programs I need and how to edit the files so that the aircraft have the correct power and speed.

Thanks.

2. Default

i have done it but i need to go to my fs rig to get the exact lines to modify give me a day and I can get it to you. all i have is my laptop with me till i get back to the rig. best wishes

steve

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by tazcbr600 View Post
    i have done it but i need to go to my fs rig to get the exact lines to modify give me a day and I can get it to you. all i have is my laptop with me till i get back to the rig. best wishes

steve
    Okay, I understand. Thank you.

Caveat! Many freeware planes have "fudged" the power to compensate (in my opinion) for incorrect parameters elsewhere in the design. I had one where the designer admitted he had increased the power so the aircraft would take off in a reasonable length of runway, but you then had to monitor the throttles carefully at altitude to prevent overspeed. Another had just the opposite problem, in order to achieve correct cruise speed there was so much power that, with any more than about 30% throttle, the plane would leap into the air after a two hundred yard takeoff run. I hope you don't end up chasing your tail trying to correct something like these.

Also, some parameters must be changed in the air files and cfg files for proper operation; I don't recall which has precedence, but if they don't agree FS9 will edit one or both to what it deems proper.
    Last edited by jgf; 07-17-2011 at 07:09 PM.

Values in the .cfg file generally override those in the .air file.

The sections in the air file to fiddle with are :
    1502 to 1507.

I have already corrected many air files in this way eg. the PSS 757, the PSS 777, the Wilco Airbus 330 and 340 and the Wilco 737 Classic.

First, you need to set the correct drag in the airfile (this is important for the descent - so that you don't descend at 4000 feet per minute!!)

Once the drag is correct, I make sure that the thrust setting in the cfg file is equal to 1.0

Then I move on to the thrust changes in the airfile.

Doing this, I have the above mentioned airfiles following their respective operating manuals "to the T" - ie the correct pitch in CLB, CRZ and DES and APPr / the correct rate of climb / descent / the correct CRZ N1 values etc.

I must say that I can only do this to flight dynamics that are already good and need some minor tweaks. Rob Young produces brilliant air files, but his thrust and drag settings do require tweaking, which I have done, resulting in flight dynamics that are on par with
    those of PMDG.

You also need to know what's going on in sections 1502-1507 before you start fiddling around.

Give it a try.

Which planes are you having problems with ?

Trevor

7. Default

The planes that I am having the problems with are mainly the freeware Airbus A320s, mainly the PA and some IFDG models.

Some of them won't get more than 89% N1 on the ground and at 35,000ft and full throttle they won't go above 65% N1.

With some of the models, the speed ratios are off, so even though the N1 is way too low, the speeds are right, but others
    are completely off with the N1% and speed way too low.

I also have some Boeing models from Posky that have too much engine power but are too slow.

On them I get over 120% N1 on the ground and about 102% N1 at 35,000ft. Despite the high N1%, the speeds are lower than they should be.

I didn't do any editing to the files, they were like that since I installed them. I would like to set the speeds right.

I understand this is very detailed, and I really appreciate the help. Also, I need to know what program to use to edit the .Air files. A download link would also be helpful.

Thank you,

Andrew

Default Editing.Air files to modify power

Hello,
    Did you tryied to enter the .aircraft cfg /[TurbineEngineData] and edit the value of STATIC_THRUST?
    Sandokan
    Last edited by sandokan; 07-20-2011 at 05:30 AM.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by sandokan View Post
    Hello,
    Did you tryied to enter the .aircraft cfg /[TurbineEngineData] and edit the value of STATIC_THRUST?
    Sandokan
    Well, I want to understand a little more about how this all works before I fiddle with anything...

That's why I posted this thread.

Use "aired" for editing the air files; it has popup help for many parameters though, even after all these years, many are still "unknown".

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib...ght&fid=137674

There are numerous tutorials and threads online for using this and for air file editing in general. But rather than a lot of "trial and error" tweaking, I've found it simpler to find another aircraft with the same engine which works well and copy/paste all the engine data - except location - from the cfg and air files into the problem aircraft; if the performance still isn't acceptable I chalk it up to errors elsewhere in the dynamics (and usually drop the project; nowdays I'd rather fly than tweak). Another thing to consider: many gauges are designed for a particular aircraft, freeware developers usually (not always) grab whatever pertinent gauges they have in their gauges folder so accuracy is questionable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast