Thread: what is the average passenger (and luggage) weight used by airline pilots?

1. Default what is the average passenger (and luggage) weight used by airline pilots?

pretty self-explanatory.

2. Default

Have a look at the below link, gives you an understanding in Australia.

http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_asset.../ops/235_1.pdf

As for the states, not sure, but im pretty sure it changed after the Beech 1900D accident.

3. Default

The FAA's standard passenger weight used to be 170 pounds. Maybe that's changed as the population has grown (in more ways than one).

As to luggage weight, I assume that in today's digitized world, it's easier to get actual baggage weight somewhere along the line from sensors on a conveyor belt between where the bag is taken by the ticket agent to where it's thrown into the airplane. It's important for the crew and dispatcher to know the airplane's current takeoff weight and whether the center of gravity is within the correct range. I don't know how it was done during my time in the analog world, but we always managed to get airborne before the concrete ran out, although summer afternoons in Tuscon always made us wonder if that was going to happen.

Art

Do I understand that chart correct? The more people on board, the lighter one passenger is in the statistics?
    Best regards from Germany
    Windows 7 Professional 64 bit SP1; Asus P8P67 Pro; Intel i5-2500k@ 4,6 GHz; Scythe Mudgen II CPU Cooler; Nvidia GTX 260; 4 GB Mushkin Bklackline; Fs2004+FSX

On our real life planes Checked bags= 35lbs. gate checks=20lbs Heavy bags=60lbs. Human weight summer male=180lbs winter=185. Women 140 summer 145 winter.

Quote Originally Posted by steffenreinbold View Post
    Do I understand that chart correct? The more people on board, the lighter one passenger is in the statistics?
    It doesn't mean that. It means that with more passengers on board actual average weight of of all the passengers is closer to the avarage weight of an individual passenger. In other words the fewer the passengers the higher the assumed average weight for loading to maintain a safety margin. With, say, 2 seats the chances of getting 2 grossly overweight passengers in quite high: with 300 seats the chances of getting 300 grossly overweight passengers is quite low.
    Last edited by mgh; 07-12-2011 at 10:23 AM.

7. Default

For US airlines, at least, the average load weight for passengers recently increased to 180 pounds.

DJ

8. Default

I work for Delta Airlines and we use 30 lbs for standard checked and planeside bags and 50 for heavies.

I work for Continental and thats what we use too. 20 for planeside. Thats what the Capt put in ACARS.

10. Default

The perennial question! From a flight planning point of view for high capacity RPT operations, 80kg for the SLF and 20kg for the baggage - total 100kgs per pax is typical.

Cheers,

RRR7134