Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to open .mdl files?

1. Default How to open .mdl files?

Hello!

Does anyone know how to open an existing model file?
    Which program do you need? I want to open a ".mdl" file from a plane in FS2004 but i dont know how..

Ruben

2. Default

Generally this is impossible for most purposes. Certain programs can read (and change) certain things, but I don't know them.
    Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

3. Default

Hi

Sorry, but you shouldn't even be considering it

It's a definate no no in this hobby..the .mdl is the author's copyright

You shouldn't be looking at changing anything at all without permission.

It's often stated that repaints can be done etc, but that doesn't extend to the model.

Garry

ModelConverterX by Arno. Has a forum (with download links) at FSDeveloper http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87
    I use it quite a lot when something doesn't work the way install instructions pretend it to be.
    Never knew looking at a model to find missing/misspelled textures or effects was illegal.

Wim

It's not illegal but it is in breach of what you agreed to when installing ModelConverterX, unless you get prior written permission:

"I do hereby agree that I will only use ModelConverterX to convert objects I have created myself. I will not use the tool to change the work of others, without their prior written permission. This does include any objects obtained by decompilation of BGL files."

6. Default

It is illegal as to open a .mdl file without permission and often against express conditions is in breach of the copyright law...so against the law=illegal.

To both mgh and garryrussell:

I don't like being misquoted, and you're inventing your own laws. Therefore I consider this discussion closed, as it leads nowhere.

Wim

where you misquoted?

I didn't invent the agreement you have to accept to use ModelConverterX.

Yep, the agreement is about converting models. I never used that verb (except when typing the name of the program, but I can't help it's called that way).
    And in no ways I have problems with the agreement, as for what I use it for, the program might as well be called ModelReaderX (no laws against that in my opinion, contrary to garryrussel's one).

Wim

Quote Originally Posted by f16jockey_2 View Post
    ModelConverterX by Arno. Has a forum (with download links) at FSDeveloper http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87
    I use it quite a lot when something doesn't work the way install instructions pretend it to be.
    Never knew looking at a model to find missing/misspelled textures or effects was illegal.

Wim
    So if when something doesn't work the way install instructions pretend it to be you just look at it but don't make any changes? Isn't that a waste of time?