Thread: FSX GA-Traffic problem

Default FSX GA-Traffic problem

OK, I'm sure there is a simple answer to this. I guess I'm just not simple enough to figure it out. I D/L'd & installed FSX GA-Traffic Release 2. During installation I did not see any planes being detected. Sure enough, when I open the application to use it, there are no planes listed. All the aircraft related files in the GA-Traffic folder are either 1KB or 0KB. They should be larger if they contained any plane info. GA-Traffic is supposed to automatically detect AI planes, build the data bases for them and use them in the generation of the GA traffic file .BGL. When I try to "Generate Flightplan", the resulting file is also 0KB.

What am I doing wrong?
    Rusty Gunz - been simming since the Apple II+ and Sublogic
    My motto: “Any landing you can walk away from is a good one!”

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Gunz View Post
    OK, I'm sure there is a simple answer to this. I guess I'm just not simple enough to figure it out. I D/L'd & installed FSX GA-Traffic Release 2. During installation I did not see any planes being detected. Sure enough, when I open the application to use it, there are no planes listed. All the aircraft related files in the GA-Traffic folder are either 1KB or 0KB. They should be larger if they contained any plane info. GA-Traffic is supposed to automatically detect AI planes, build the data bases for them and use them in the generation of the GA traffic file .BGL. When I try to "Generate Flightplan", the resulting file is also 0KB.

What am I doing wrong?
    I assume you are referring to fsxgarc2.zip from the library here - correct?

It would be helpful to know what Operating System you are using - XP, Vista or Win 7 - as if either of the latter you may have run into a "permissions" issue which needs to be resolved before the program will generate to files correctly.

More details please.
    David "Opa" Marshall

Hi David,

I had a feeling that you might be responding to my plight - us "old guys" (67 here) must not sleep much. In response to your question:
    Yes, I am using fsxgarc2.zip downloaded from FlightSim.com.

Acting on your permissions issue possibility, I removed GA-T and reinstalled it. I executed the setup file as administrator and, after installation, set the "Run this program as an administrator" option on the Compatabilities tab of the GA-T properties. Upon executing GA-T I still have the same problem - no planes.

Additional information:

I am running 32-bit Windows 7.

I have removed all WoAI traffic files from the Scenery-World-Scenery folder (they were being loaded upon initiation of GA-T).

I removed the default FSX traffic file.

My Airplanes folder in FSX is empty (in an attempt to limit GA traffic to only the planes I want).

The AI planes I want are in the Simobjects folder in a folder named GA Planes Used in FSX. This folder is the only active SimObjectPath entry in the AppData - Roaming - Microsoft - FSX - fsx.cfg file. The others are commented out.

I see many, many airports in GA-T when it has been started and the path names (BIN & FSX) under the Settings tab appear to be correct.

Anything else you require?

If you don't get this program to work I can suggest another called Airport AI Enhancer X. Seems to be much easier to use. Scans FS for planes and you chose the airport you want to generate traffic to/from.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Gunz View Post
    Hi David,

I had a feeling that you might be responding to my plight - us "old guys" (67 here) must not sleep much. In response to your question:
    Yes, I am using fsxgarc2.zip downloaded from FlightSim.com.

Acting on your permissions issue possibility, I removed GA-T and reinstalled it. I executed the setup file as administrator and, after installation, set the "Run this program as an administrator" option on the Compatabilities tab of the GA-T properties. Upon executing GA-T I still have the same problem - no planes.

Additional information:

I am running 32-bit Windows 7.

I have removed all WoAI traffic files from the Scenery-World-Scenery folder (they were being loaded upon initiation of GA-T).

I removed the default FSX traffic file.

My Airplanes folder in FSX is empty (in an attempt to limit GA traffic to only the planes I want).

The AI planes I want are in the Simobjects folder in a folder named GA Planes Used in FSX. This folder is the only active SimObjectPath entry in the AppData - Roaming - Microsoft - FSX - fsx.cfg file. The others are commented out.

I see many, many airports in GA-T when it has been started and the path names (BIN & FSX) under the Settings tab appear to be correct.

Anything else you require?
    Thanks for all the detailed info - it may well prove useful. Wish other posters would provide complete details when they seek assistance - but that is another story.

Before we spend a whole lot of time exploring "possibilities" I hope someone can confirm that the program indeed works on a Win 7 32 bit FSX setup. It works just fine on my FSX XP setup so there is a nagging fear I have that it may not compatible with your machine.

Just curious - does it generate a Traffic file at all? I did a few tests limiting the area to be covered to a single country (how is explained in the documentation) rather than the whole world. That works properly and generated a Traffic file which ended up in my Scenery/World/scenery subfolder. What, if anything do your experiments indicate?

And did you try running the program with UAC (User Account Control) temporarily turned off?

And sleep - what is that? Too much FSing to tend to!
    David "Opa" Marshall

My thanks to both responders, so far.

Jim, I will look at the application you suggested. If there is no solution re: GA-T, I hope it will be a valid option. I appreciate your suggesting it.

David, UAC is off on my machine and has been off for some time (I don't like responding to the query each time I install something, perhaps that leaves me at risk but I have pretty good A/V and malware applications and I have mirror backups on separate HDs in my PC).

Yes, it does create a .bgl of 1KB (or less) so there can't be much in it.

And - sleep is that annoying time between simming sessions.

Thanks.

Another (and in my opinon the best) option is to use the great GA replacement packages which have been put together by Reggie Fields and friends.

You can check them out here:

http://www.flightsim2004-fanatics.co.../Def_GA_DL.htm
    David "Opa" Marshall

I have downloaded a couple of the flight plans from the website you suggested and will experiment with changing them to use the GA AI aircraft I want. Thanks.

I have been trying many different things with the GA-Traffic application and apparently it is not going to function with 32-bit Windows 7. A pity because it is a great tool.

9. Default

I use GA-Traffic on a Windows 7 64bit system without any problem. Please contact me in PM, we can make a couple of tests to figure out where is the problem with your setup.

Paolo

I'm considering this one a closed thread. Paolo and I worked for several days and could not find a solution. ???????????????????

I have used the flight plan suggested by David (see above post) and modified them for the GA aircraft I prefer. We'll see how that goes.

If I had sufficient knowledge of FS and flight plans (necessary airport, plane, etc. info) I would build my own GA AI generator as I have the programming skills (40 + years). But that's another issue.

Anyway this problem is a dead horse.