Thread: How do I modify AI flight plans in fsx

Default How do I modify AI flight plans in fsx

Have downloaded AIFP, TTools v202 and fsx SDK but nothing seems to work. It seems that AIFP is recommended over TTools for fsx in this forum, but needs Tttools decompiled files to work. Ttools cant find my ai source files - it says 'fs2002/2004 not found', even when I indicate the ms fsx directory. Running TrafficDateabseBuilder.exe in SDK doesnt appear to do anything. What can I try next?
    thanks in advance
    Ian YSCB

Hi,

Note to Admin - Sorry for the oversized pics but only way i can show them in detail - There saved on my own server so no space taken up on yours.

Are you wanting to modify the existing FSX flights or create your own?

If your wanting to create your own then try the following, it works great for me.
    First make a new folder where you can get at it easily e.g. 'Traffic Temp Files'

Create 3 new text files inside this new folder - airports_XXX.txt, Aircraft_XXX.txt, flightplans_XXX.txt
    where XXX this can be anything you want but must be the same on each.

Now download and install (if you havent already) AIFP Utilities.

With AIFP Utilities you can select which aircraft you want in your flightplans and what airports they will visit.
    When the programme starts it may show an error 'Error 76 path not found' just click ok its only bcos it was designed for fs9
    but it works fine without. Under the Aircraft Tab there are 2 folder requests, the first 'Flight simulator aircraft directory',
    browse to you aircraft folder i.e. .../sim objects/airplanes, the second being your aircraft_XXX.txt.
    Use the tick boxes to choose the aircraft to be used and then select add aircraft, it then allows you to view the text file if you choose using the 'edit .txt' button

Next click on the Load Airport Tab,
    again using the browse button select your 'airports_xxx.txt' file
    choose the country / city / airport that you want to add drag the disiered airport into the right hand box, click the 'clear airport list' button to return
    repeat until all airports are selected.
    Most Important - Once you have chosen all airports you must click on the 'Add Airports' button at bottom right in order for your work to be saved, On a number of occasions ive forgotten this and lost my work.
    It maybe worth writing down the Airport codes that are shown when choosing your airports i.e. London Heathrow - EGLL
    as you will need these later.

Ok, so now youve done this and your sure youve chosen all your aircraft and airports you can close AIFP Utilities.
    the more tricky bit comes.

Download and install AIFP v2 - Must be v2 for FSX

Start AIFPv2, this will show the main menu.
    Go to Files / Open Flight Plan Files (.txt or .zip)
    Open flightplans_xxx.txt you made earlier, this will also automatically open the other files you just created (Airports_xxx.txt and aipcraft_xxx.txt). This will then display the aircraft you chose in the box at upper right of the menu.

Now click the Flightplans / Open FP Editor, this will open a seperate larger window where you can make your flightplans.

The flight plan list will be empty but the airport list will show the airports in code form (thats why i recommend you write them down as its easy to forget which airport is what code).

Start with selecting the time zone in which your starting airport is (Always choose this before starting a new flight plan)
    Click 'Start New FP' button
    Select the Aircraft you want from drop down list,
    Add a reg number for you aircraft,
    Select an activity level (i.e. the aircraft will appear at 10%)
    Choose how often will the flight be repeated - remember that if you choose 4hr the aircraft must return to the originating airport before 04:00. Normally i just use 24hr so that i can choose times that i like, not AIFP's.
    Select between IFR or VFR, most commercial flights are IFR.
    The Week Day list is only used if you choose the Week option from above.
    Distance Duration and ETA are calulated automatically.
    Choose a flight number to your liking
    From = Your starting airport
    Departure Time = What time to close the gates and start rolling.
    To = Where do you want to fly to.
    Override ETA = Leave this blank.
    ALT (In thousands) = A 747 on long haul flight would go to about 39000Ft in real life so use 390
    Choose ATC call sign. FN = Flight Number, Reg = Tail Registration Number.a
    Click on save edits, then click Add Leg and repeat for the return leg.

Single Leg

Remember that a flight plan can have a large number of leggs but must return to originating airport before the repeat time ends.

Once your happy click 'Add FP to List'

After all your flightplans are complete return the time zone to GMT

Second Leg and Add to Flight Plan List

Go to files and save your work.

Close the flight plan editor but leave the main menu open.

On the main menu, under flight plan data source make sure that your 'Flightplans_XXX.txt file is selected.

Under 'Traffic file', make sure that this is your FSX's '...\scenery\world\scenery\' folder.

Click compile and save, close AIFP2, start FSX and enjoy your flights

Last edited by Roddneyuk; 04-20-2011 at 08:22 AM.

Thanks Rodney from Dudley for this comprehensive and clear reply. I'll let you know how it goes, cheers
    Ian

Hope its clear enough, just let me know if you still need help.

Just out of interest where is YSCB?

Quote Originally Posted by Roddneyuk View Post
    Sorry for the oversized pics but only way i can show them in detail
    Try Screenhunter, besides other options it allows capturing the active window only (no disturbing backgrounds) http://wisdom-soft.com/products/screenhunter_free.htm
    Or crop yr images (with any picture editor) before posting.

Nice explanation btw, though the role and necessity of the AI Flightplan Utilities software escapes me a bit ?

YSCB is Canberra Intl, capital of Australia.

Wim

Just remembered YSCB is Canberra, down under LOL.

Also just to mention you can have any number of .BGL files in FSX, for example ive got my flights split between cargo and passenger and then split again into the various regions of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by f16jockey_2 View Post
    Try Screenhunter, besides other options it allows capturing the active window only (no disturbing backgrounds) http://wisdom-soft.com/products/screenhunter_free.htm
    Or crop yr images (with any picture editor) before posting.

Nice explanation btw, though the role and necessity of the AI Flightplan Utilities software escapes me a bit ?

YSCB is Canberra Intl, capital of Australia.

Wim
    Not 100% necessary i agree, just thought for a first timer it would be good as it searches and adds the aircraft cruise speed automatically as well as airport coordinates.
    I Know AIFP2 is ment to do this as well, but i never did get to grips with that part of the programme

No, because this is about flight plans in FSX.
    Last edited by JSkorna; 04-21-2011 at 12:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by napamule2 View Post
    No, because this is about flight plans in FSX.
    No what?

Rodney: will this method ADD new flights and keep existing fsx ai flights?- I already have a lot of flights with My traffic X and like most of these. Although I would like to add some of my own, I dont want to lose the ones I have. What I really want to do is to modify all the flights in Bangkok because they still arrive and depart from the old airport (VTBD) and I want them to arrive and depart from VTBS, the new airport which I have added. MTX flights have the correct livery for flights to/from each airport (eg. Thai airways & lots of SEAsian airlines) and I would like to retain this
    Ian in Canberra (YSCB with pretensions as an international hub)