Thread: Caution -- Flightscenery's Flightzone 01 has virus attached -- Kapersky picked it up

Default Caution -- Flightscenery's Flightzone 01 has virus attached -- Kapersky picked it up

Hey all --

Word of CAUTION -- Flightscenery, that used to make the Flightzone 1 and 2 (Providence and Portland Series) has virus attached to Flight Zone 01. The thing that angers me the most about this "Company" is that they still sell their products, though it's stated on Flight1s page that the company does NOT offer support.

Is that right? I don't think so. They're willing to take their money and run, and not offer and ounce of support for it.

Especially the virus thing on it - that's been from day one each time I install it, because I have it working in FSX for RI, and love the scenery, it's just not right that they allow them to sell their now unsupported software, as well as the FSPilot Shop, or any where else that does. Boooooooo to the people that do, when a company no longer exists and sells.

When I develop, if I no longer support, you can bet, I'll be pulling my items from the virtual shelves and not taking the money and run as these people are.

They RUINED Dreamfleet's reputation practically with the Airbus that became vapor ware, why do the continue to let it sell?

Not a Rant, just wondering why places allow this.

John Thuot II
    A+/Network+

Checkout my new Facebook Page!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Airpl...05438883035386
    HP Z820 Workstation Intel Xeon 3.30ghz 8 Core Processor 2TB Hard Drive 16 gig of Ram 1125 Power Supply and 2 Gig Nvidia Quadro 4000

Quote Originally Posted by Ragtopjohnny View Post
    Hey all --

Word of CAUTION -- Flightscenery, that used to make the Flightzone 1 and 2 (Providence and Portland Series) has virus attached to Flight Zone 01. The thing that angers me the most about this "Company" is that they still sell their products, though it's stated on Flight1s page that the company does NOT offer support.

Is that right? I don't think so. They're willing to take their money and run, and not offer and ounce of support for it.

Especially the virus thing on it - that's been from day one each time I install it, because I have it working in FSX for RI, and love the scenery, it's just not right that they allow them to sell their now unsupported software, as well as the FSPilot Shop, or any where else that does. Boooooooo to the people that do, when a company no longer exists and sells.

When I develop, if I no longer support, you can bet, I'll be pulling my items from the virtual shelves and not taking the money and run as these people are.

They RUINED Dreamfleet's reputation practically with the Airbus that became vapor ware, why do the continue to let it sell?

Not a Rant, just wondering why places allow this.

John Thuot II
    A+/Network+
    First are you sure it really is a trojan and not a false positive? If it has a trojan I'm surprised it hasn't been reported before.

Second, the Flight1 site states:

"Important: This software is no longer supported, and the author's website appears to be no longer active. This product is still provided for user reinstalls, or for customers that do not expect the need for support."

What could be clearer and more honest and straightforward than that? Purchasers know they will not get support before they buy.

What is the name of the virus?

I have kapersky and flight zone:01, ive never had any issues.
    System Specs: Abit FPIN9 mobo, core 2 duo E4600@2.4GHz, 2 Gigs ram, XFX Geforce 9500 GT graphics, 512mb

Jim, the virus was something ....backdoor on it .... can't remember off hand exactly what it was, but I'll see if it has the details in a log.

While it's scanning, I usually keep the system uninterrupted -- I'll let you know later if you don't mind....

Comes up whenever I reinstall it.

Odd......

John Thuot II
    A+/Network+

HP Z820 Workstation Intel Xeon 3.30ghz 8 Core Processor 2TB Hard Drive 16 gig of Ram 1125 Power Supply and 2 Gig Nvidia Quadro 4000

Blog Entries

That was a false positive and was discussed many years ago on the flightzone forums. IIRC it had something to do with the uninstaller which makes registry changes, hence the virus warning.

As for them still making a profit off their release, well, they did do the work... Many many hours spent in gmax, PhotoShop, etc. It's a very nice scenery that's still on par with any payware scenery released today. To me it still has value and is worthy of charging money for, whether the flightzone site still exists or not. The lack of support issue is spelled out in big letters on the download page, I guess if someone's hung up on support they can simply move on to the next product for which there is a support site. I do think that Flight1 should make all the UT patches and stuff available on their site though.

Jim

Thanks for clarifying that Jim R -- I but I do agree with you, they should have all patches/etc available from Flightscenery at Flight1. I do see your point about the hours, etc, but feel bad about the newbe that might need help with it.

John Thuot II
    A+/Network+

In case anyone needs them, I do have the FlightZone Rhode Island and Portland - UTUSA patches.

Just PM me, tell me which one you need and include your e-mail address. Do not post your e-mail address if the forum please.
    David "Opa" Marshall

You really have to watch those 3rd party addons.

Blog Entries

I've had quite a few downloaded payware titles cause false positives with antivirus software. I've never once been worried about it. I'm no software guru, but I figured it was the 'homemade' nature of FSX payware that caused it.
    FAA Certified Flight Instructor, ATP/Commercial Pilot and Airframe/Powerplant mechanic CFI/CFII/MEII/ATP-MEL/A&P
    American Corporate Pilot

AMD X6 1090T black edition CPU, liquid cooled
    NVIDIA GTX 480 1.5Gb GPU
    8G DDR3-1600 RAM
    3TB storage, plain hard drives