Thread: Saitek Throttle Quadrant Problem

1. Default Saitek Throttle Quadrant Problem

Hi All

I have the Saitek pro flight yoke system and quadrant and am experiencing issues with my throttle quadrant all of a sardine! I installed FSX acceleration a few days ago and that is when the problem started. I have since un-installed and re-installed FSX only.

Basically I am having problems configuring my levers on the quadrant. For example, when I start up a free flight (Cessna 172) my engine is at 50% thrust whilst my lever on the quadrant is at the idle position. When I push the lever forward it goes to 100% thrust and when I pull it back to idle my engine is at 50% again. (forcing me to use the F1 key to put the engine into idle)

So the problem really is that I have only two settings on my quadrant whereas before the engine power would slowly increase or decrease as I moved my throttle lever up and down! The same goes for my flaps, with the lever in the zero position my flaps are up and as soon as I push the lever up it goes straight to full flaps.

Now I have tried configuring both these axis with FSUIPC but to no avail, having said that I have not completely wrapped my head around FSUIPC as yet.

If anyone has experienced this problem before your feedback/advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    Gregg

I had the Saitek quadrant and yoke for Christmas (Brand new) and configured it using the Windows driver. I did not use the software on the disk at all and calibrated it using the normal method. It's had to go back though because the throttle keeps spiking and I changed the throttle axis to the mixture axis to confirm it was a faulty, used or worn unit.

I only have the free version of fsuipc, so can't use that.

I found with the C172 the throttle is smooth all the way up and down, though not so smooth in the C208 or the B737. In fact, I get 60% throttle at about 25% movement.

I do use this setting in the controls section of my fsx.cfg which helps, because the unit is a bit over sensitive (as is my joystick):

stick_sensitivity_mode=0

You might find that that helps.

Other than that, just a case of adjusting the nul zones and sensitivity in the software.

IAN
    Q9550 @ 3.78 GHz with Gainward GTX570 1.25 Gig DRAM
    4 Gig DDR2 RAM - Windows 7 64 Bit
    FSX SP2
    Resolution 1680 X 1050 X32

3. Default

Hi Ian

Thanks for your feedback.

Btw, I have also gone through the forum but havent found quite the exact same problem or resolution. I tried changing the cfg file but no luck. I have also played with the saitek profile settings, sensitivity, null zone etc but still no change. With my lever in the idle position my Cessna is at 50% and as I move the lever up staright to 100%. The same goes for all planes actually. In the fsx control setting I have played around with the sensitivity and null settings., from what I have read so far is that the sensitivity should be right up and the null zone down, have tried that and the opposite...still no luck.

Configuring the control in in my saitek software everything seems to be working just fine, no spikes or anything. All seems to be fine so I am at a bit of a loss.

Gregg

Hey Gregg. Have you check the windows calibration and tested it there? Game controllers in the control panel? If it does the same thing there then it's either a driver issue or your quadrant is faulty like Ian.

Try the stick sensitivity line Gregg. The only thing is that if you use it, you will need to move the sliders relating to bank and pitch up quite a lot.

You can turn down sensitivity to the point that you are not getting full throttle at the stop (though doubt you will need to if the fsx.cfg mod works for you).

IAN
    Q9550 @ 3.78 GHz with Gainward GTX570 1.25 Gig DRAM
    4 Gig DDR2 RAM - Windows 7 64 Bit
    FSX SP2
    Resolution 1680 X 1050 X32

6. Default

Hi Gents

Again, thanks for the feedback. I inputed the stick_sensitivity_mode=0 into the cfg file but no change. Checked my controller properties and all is fine, The axis respond how they should, as I push the levers up slowly the power bars move accordingly. Its baffling me, even when changing the sensitivity (lower) the engine power might only get to 80% (with the lever at the 100 notch) but I am still only getting two movements on a lever that goes from 0-25-50-100. With the lever below zero notch on my quadrant my engine is still at 50% power, as I move the lever up and as soon as it crosses the 0 mark (before it gets to 25) my engine goes to full power (depending on my sensitivity settings). This is all in contrast to how it was working and should work, when the lever is at 50 on the quadrant the engine should be at 50% power (more or less) and if you move the lever between 50 and 100 the engine should be at 75% power ( more or less)

Anyway, I will continue to mess around with the settings and I am sure I will come right at some stage. Will let you know if and when it is sorted.

Thanks
    Gregg

Quote Originally Posted by gregg21 View Post
    Hi All
    Basically I am having problems configuring my levers on the quadrant. For example, when I start up a free flight (Cessna 172) my engine is at 50% thrust whilst my lever on the quadrant is at the idle position. When I push the lever forward it goes to 100% thrust and when I pull it back to idle my engine is at 50% again. (forcing me to use the F1 key to put the engine into idle)

So the problem really is that I have only two settings on my quadrant whereas before the engine power would slowly increase or decrease as I moved my throttle lever up and down! The same goes for my flaps, with the lever in the zero position my flaps are up and as soon as I push the lever up it goes straight to full flaps.

Now I have tried configuring both these axis with FSUIPC but to no avail, having said that I have not completely wrapped my head around FSUIPC as yet.

If anyone has experienced this problem before your feedback/advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    Gregg
    Greg;
    On the TQ being at 50%... When "setting" the function of the levers, make 100% certain that ALL levers are at their "Zero" position. Any bit "up off the peg" will result in an "off" position of more than zero.. In your case, it might be the cause of the 50% "off".. Additionally, I set my Throttle/Prop/Mixture sliders so the Sensitivity is full right and Null is full left.. In short, both meet in the center. I use the MSFS Settings, sensitivity, etc. I tried BOTH the CH Control Manager and the Saitek version.. after hours of "programming" and finding half the stuff messed-up, I went back to the "default" settings.. Helluva lot easier!
    On Setting the Cowl and/or Wing Flaps, I use the "Flapper Switch" on the CH Products Yoke (Buttons 5/6 & 7/8) so that position "Up" is flaps up, position "Down" is flaps down and these switches automatically return to the middle, or "neutral"... In the Settings Window, under "Buttons and Keys" set the Flaps for "Incremental" and have the slider for each flap button ALL the way to the left.. This will result in one "tab" of the switch will only lower/raise the flap one "position" (whatever is default for the plane).. Some of my planes have three positions for wing flaps, others have five.. same for cowl flaps on those planes/engines so fitted. The "Up/Down" Switches" on the Saitek TQ should program & work in the same manner.
    I hope this helps you sort-out your set-up issues..
    Charles.
    Last edited by DHC120; 01-17-2011 at 05:54 PM. Reason: spelling

8. Default

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showth...hlight=jetways

another way of assigning buttons, keyboard assignments, and Settign up your own configurations for Saitek etc
    http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showth...hlight=jetways

some other information of aircraft carriers and aircraft
    http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showth...hlight=JETWAYS

Here is what works well for me, both in Win XP 32 sp3 and Win 7 64:

1. Remove/uninstall any and all Saitek software including drivers, sst, magic keyboard, etc.

2. Connect Saitek yoke/quad. Let windows install using default windows drivers.

3. Open game controllers / devices and printers (per OS) and verify entry for both yoke and quad. Test buttons and levers/stick for response.

4. Open calibration tab. Check "raw data". Do calibration as per wizard. Verify that the yoke is moving 0-1023 both aileron and elevator. All levers 0-255. Note: in the quad, calibration will treat the first two levers as a stick. That's OK, but when the wizard tells you to "center" the stick, set the 2 levers to 127 (raw data). When done verify that each lever is is going 0-255. Also check that levers on the quad and yoke agree when set to the same position. If not you might try to calibrate one or the other again.

5. Start FS9/FSX. Go to settings controls. Remove all axis settings both normal and slew modes. Set sensitivities full/no null. Remove all button assignments both normal and slew modes. OK to leave POV hat if desired.

6. Open fsuipc. Set all buttons and axis levers as desired (all aircraft). Calibrate all assigned axis (note: for throttle you have option of using fsuipc to create "reverser" range, but I prefer to use the button that engages at the bottom of the lever range set to F2. I set an idle zone at the bottom of the throttle axis so I don't accidentally pull out of reverse. Note: for multi-throttle set each throttle axis to the same idle zone. You can do the same with toe brakes to avoid accidental braking.

7. Load any aircraft and use "aircraft specific" to override the settings in step 6 (if desired). When done, open fsuipc.ini and edit "ShortAircraftNameOK" setting to yes and truncate the aircraft title in the buttons, axis, and calibration sections to just the "main" aircraft title so the settings work for all texture variants (or, use profiles per the fsuipc guide).

Note: if calibration problems persist you might try doing this to remove calibration entries in your windows registry (Follow exactly to avoid problems. Back up registry first. This is from Saitek support.)

-------------------------------------
    To recalibrate, first unplug the yoke.

Go to start/run and type regedit.

The registry editor will have a list of folders on the left hand side. Go down into the following folders in order.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE (CURRENT_USER if on VISTA)
    System
    CurrentControlSet
    Control
    Media Properties
    Private Properties
    Direct Input

Inside the Direct Input folder, delete any folder that begins VID_06A3.
    -------------------------------------------

Or try a calibration clear program which I think clears all (not just Saitek):

-------------------------------------------------------
    You can use Clear Calibration Utility, which will help you get rid of all the calibration data.
    32bit version: http://www.wingmanteam.com/files/Too...6/ClrCalib.exe
    64bit version: http://www.wingmanteam.com/files/Too...ClrCalib64.exe
    Readme: http://www.wingmanteam.com/files/Too...lib/Readme.txt
    ---------------------------------------

scott s.

10. Default

Hey guys,
    I had the Saitek X52 and when I applied just a little throttle my aircraft began moving, as the real aircraft do. I just pruchased the Saitek Proflight Yoke System with two throttles and it takes about 50% of throttle before my aircraft move. I have tried it with my PMDG 737NGX and Qualitywings 757. Not sure what the problem is. I do have a registered copy of FSUIPC.

Saint