Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is World of AI the best source for FSX AI aircraft?

Default Is World of AI the best source for FSX AI aircraft?

Hi,
    In preparation to set up FSX for the first time later this week, I wanted to make sure I use the best AI aircraft and it seems that "World of AI" seem to design many of their craft for FSX. In FS9 I was using Evolve, Aardvar, Fruit Stand etc. I've a feeling these may not fare so well in FSX. What's your best source for FSX AI's ?
    Thanks for the help.

hi honus,

I would deem WOAI as the easiest way to install AI into the game, i personally create all my AI manually but when i first got FSX i used a lot of WOAI packages. Most of their packages are out of date thats why i use AIG or sometimes custom flightplans to keep the airlines schedual up to date. As for evolve, aardvark and fruitstand they are models for AI traffic. WOAI uses a number of these models including the three you mentioned in you packages. They do fare well with FSX. If you want your favourite airline with an up to date flightplan, gimmie a shout/send me a pm and i'd be more then willing to make it for you.

Thanks and goodluck!

-ryan-

3. Default

I use "MY TRAFFIC" and am very pleased with it.

The three commercial products - My Traffic X, Traffic X and Ultimate Traffic 2 - by now all have FSX native AI models.

My Traffic X still uses almost exclusively models designed by Burkhard. Ultimate Traffic 2 uses models designed by TheFruitStand, AiAardvark and Burkhard. I don't know the designer of the models for Traffic X from Just Flight. Each of these may use some models by Henry T.

World-of-AI does not design any models for their packages, only using those FS2004 models for which they have been given permission by the model designer.

WoA is very much an FS2004 product, as is MAIW - the other major source of new freeware AI. However I have found no problems with the performance, either FPS or graphics display, of the FS2004 models from WoA and MAIW. I particularly like many of the XML based animations available on the FS2004 models which cannot be done on the FSX native AI models - like flaps which lower for takeoff and then retract after the plane climbs above the runway.

But to be truthful, there are some things a person needs to be aware of and be capable of fixing.

You cannot use DX10 Preview with most of the FS2004 AI models. You cannot use aircraft cast ground shadows with most of the older models. FSX is much more sensitive of variations of texture formats on a single aircraft. I've made sure all my AI repaint textures are the same format. That means I have to check each new texture to make sure that the main texture, the night lightmap and the prop texture are all DXT3 with no MipMaps - my preferred format. That adds a bit of time to adding AI.

Prop textures for many to most FS2004 AI aircraft are 32-bit uncompressed with no alpha - they need to be converted to DXT3 with an alpha.

Flight plan .BGL files are a bit different in FSX than FS2004 and the two types will not co-exist side by side. The FSX format plans will be ignored. I use AI Flight Planner to convert every FS2004 FP created by WoA, MAIW and others to FSX format. Also, using a FS9 traffic file will result in the day of the week for flights being off by one. In FS2004 - Sunday is day 0, Monday is day 1, etc. In FSX - Monday is day 0, Tuesday is day 1, etc. Programs like AIFP can be used to compile traffic files for both FS2004 and FSX - and it will keep the days straight.

Besides - TTools is an unfinished tweak of an FS2002 program - AIFP is much better for FS2004 traffic .BGL files, not to mention TTools cannot understand FSX traffic files. AFCAD can also not understand FSX airports. But you can use some FS2004 AFCADs in FSX without problem.

Just as TTools needs to be retired by everyone and replaced by newer, better programs like AI Flight Planner, AFCAD also needs to be retired. Airport Design Editor can do much more for FS2004 airports than AFCAD, cleaner and easier. ADE does not create the many errors which AFCAD can compile and cause problems. ADE does require that you have purchased FSX Deluxe, or FSX Acceleration or FSX Gold to be usable in FSX. It required the FSX SDK to be installed with is not available for free. For FS2004, ADE used the free FS2004 BGLComp SDK.

I guess the key element is that you need to be aware of what you are doing, what impact it might have and how to fix any issues. That may sound like a lot of work. It is not one click and done - but WoA and MAIW are great products which create much better AI than any of the payware products.

Some of the issues which bugs some people about the payware products are model and repaint substitution.

No payware product has a complete range of AI aircraft available to folks who use freeware. Each payware product approaches this in a similar manner. If the AI flight plan calls for a rarely used aircraft - a similar aircraft will be used as a substitute. For example - most of the payware will use one model of CRJ rather than having separate CRJ-200, CRJ-700 and CRJ-900. I've not seen an ERJ-140 model in a payware package. While such differences are small and not always noticable - model substitutions such as using a Saab 340 for a B-1900, or a Do-328 are a bit more noticable.

No payware product has the complete range of repaints for all the airlines of the world. Ultimate Traffic 2 and Traffic X will use a generic repaint for the aircraft in place of missing textures. One of the key topics on Ultimate Traffic 2 forums is where to locate 'missing' repaints. The same basic issue occurs with My Traffic X and Traffic X.

World of AI and MAIW do not release packages for airlines / military units - unless they have the correct repaints. Thus, WoA and MAIW do not have many airlines for which the payware products have schedules - even if those schedules are flown in the payware world by generic repaints and similar but not exactly correct models.

I've use WoA, MAIW, UGA, PAI and hand created AI packages as my main AI for years. I've used Ultimate Traffic in FS2004 and Ultimate Traffic 2 in FSX to supplement that customized AI to fill out the world. (I do own all three payware products and use each at times for testing).

Another point - airport AI parking. First FSX is much better than FS2004 with populating airports with parking spots. Many airports, especially small or mid-sized airports have sufficient parking for commercial AI. Major airports are a little short, but much better than FS2004.

My Traffic X and Traffic X both include hundreds of airport parking files. However many of those files are not FSX native airport files. Both use FS2004 AFCAD files as the basis for many of their airports. Most work just fine, but almost all could be better tweaked.

Ultimate Traffic 2 and World of AI do not include airport AFCAD files in their product/ packages. MAIW always includes their main airports and key others in their packages. MAIW also frequently adds an airport scenery for the main military base.

For UT2 and WoA, you will need to search for FSX AFCAD type files on the various libraries. I strongly recommend those by Ray Smith whenever possible, but there are several other good designers out there.

Military base AFCAD type files for FSX are harder to find. Most MAIW AFCAD files can be used in FSX without problem. The military base sceneries take a little adjustment, but usually work well.

The bottom line - it depends upon how much money and how much time you have available vs how much quality you want. The payware products will have you up and running faster with less work. But the 'lower quality' of the AI will show up over time.

I would recommend trying the free stuff first, then moving to payware if you wish.
    Last edited by ReggieF5421; 01-04-2011 at 08:55 AM.
    Hello Dave

@ PawPaw's house - near KADS, Addison, Texas, USA

Wow, lots of helpful tips and sounds like I have some work to do after I install FSX. I've already downloaded quite a number of WOAI packages and will start with them. I don't need to populate with every airline known to man. I'm good, at least at first, with the biggies, then move forward. I've already got AIFP installed and ready. I was going to try to convert my FS9 flightplans to FSX but I think I might be better served to just start all over new with things known to be compatible with FSX. Thank ALL of you for your help with these tips. I'm sure we'll be corresponding from time to time as I plow through this transistion.

6. Default

If you like also General Aviation (GA) AI, then you could try "GA Traffic" (search here in the library). It can complement any of the above mentioned package.

GA Traffic is freeware and can use ANY (below a certain weight) of your aircrafts as AI and generate traffic automatically for a single country or the entire planet.

The drawback is that non-AI aircraft are pretty heavy in terms of poly counts and textures. But often aircrafts have a kind of "low impact" AI variant as well.

Paolo

7. Default

I use UT2 and love it. Easy install and no issues with it.

And what 'user' aircraft do you prefer? In FS9 I was quite happy with Overland Simmer Sky Airbus, Boeing and MD-11 aircraft. For vintage 747's I was using CLS products. Hopefully I can still use these in FSX ?

I've used AI Flight planner to keep my AI up-to-date using flightplans by AIG and some of the models that came with WoAI as well as some on AVSIM which are Aardvark, DJC, The Fruit Stand, etc, but when converting FS9 BGLs to FSX, various busy airports suddenly become empty, is this what the ADE/AFCAD airport BGLs are for? Because even with some like perhaps Ray Smith the airports remain empty :x.

This is why I'm going to start from scratch and not try to convert anything. I don't want to throw anything at FSX that isn't designed for it. I think that's part of making it work successfully.