Thread: Stretching virtual cockpit across two monitors

Default Stretching virtual cockpit across two monitors

I have read several posts about using dual monitors but am still a little confused on the do's and don'ts. Maybe there is a good overview post that someone can point me to? Otherwise...here is my question:

Can I run FSX full screen with the virtual cockpit spread across two monitors without a product like the Matrox series? My system:

Dell XPS 700, 2CPU 6600 @ 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM
    2 Radeon HD 5770 cards, each hooked up to its own monitor at 1680x1050 resolution
    Windows XP, SP2, Media Center Edition

I have successfully got the monitors working in extended desktop mode. FSX recognizes that I have 2 video cards, but only lets me choose a max resolution of 1680x1050 in full screen mode. In full screen mode, only the left monitor displays the virtual cockpit. I can add view windows to the right monitor, but I can't extend the main view.

If I go into window mode, I can drag the main view window across the 2 monitors, but FSX only draws up to the 1680 pixel and then leaves the rest black.

Probably pretty basic stuff but I seem unable to resolve on my own. Many thanks!

I use a Matrox splitter, you can buy for 2 monitor or 3 monitor. Some newer video cards also support this function. Matrox you can make front windshield or stretch across multiple monitors.

hobbitrocks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front view.JPG 
Views:	1789 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	86393  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Your setup looks impressive!! Can you share more details please- like how many computers are you using and how are they all connected.

I am currently using Matrox with 3 monitors and use a laptop through home network to run FlightCommander And REX

Pramod

My set us is as follows: Intel DX38 motherboard, Quad core extreme 3 ghz, not over clocked. 4 gig of Ram @ 1333, 2 - Nvidia 8800GTOC 512ddr PCI video cards, 1200 watt power supply. I have front windshield - 3-24" monitors on Matrox for front windshield. I use the program FS Panel Studio and take original panel BMP of the panel and use paint to cut it in half. Then I use FS Panel Studio to create new windows and copy the gauges over from original panel to each half. So I have Matrox on Port 0 of vid card, Overhead panel on vid car 1, Left and Right half of Panels on 2nd video card ports 2 and 3. I run anywhere from 17fpm in heavy area to 50-70fps up high. Does not stutter very often. So one high end computer can do what I have done. I ran FS2004 on a lesser machine with no problems in the same array. I also have 17 Go-flight modules to make my cock pit almost mouse free.....wish I could figure out how to map additional functions that are not available by default. I am running Vista 64bit.

Hobbitrocks
    Attached Images Attached Images      

I thought I had a newer picture of my rig. This is the latest, my daughter in law took multiple pictures in order to get all of it in one shot. She used some type of editing software and seamed this together. It is actually enclosed inside of a room, in-side of my office. This way I control lighting inside of cubicle.

I have too much time on my hands it would appear - it took 3 years to get it to where it is now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sim02.jpg 
Views:	1701 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	86404  

This is great and all - very impressive - but if you look at my original post, I was specifically looking to see if there are alternatives other than using a Matrox device. I am trying to see what I can do with the fact that I happen to have 2 high powered video cards. It may be that trying to hook them each up independently to separate monitors may not be something that is handled by FSX. But I was hoping that because Windows and the Catalyst Control Center recognized it as one extended desktop that I could somehow get FSX to honor that as well.

7. Default

FSX.cfg

WideViewAspect=True or False..you wan't this true: http://www.widescreengaming.net/wiki/Flight_Simulator_X

I can't help you with the Catalyst, Nvidia guy with a 1024x1080 still...I know...I know.

[edit]

Well after a little bit of research it seems you cannot get fullscreen VC across multiple monitors. It seems you must create two windowed VC views and drag the second view across to the second monitor. With todays tech, you'd think you would be able to do this by now. I may have to plug in my OC'd 8800GTS and fiddle.

[2nd Edit] ATI Related

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/Eyefinity_FAQ

[3rd Edit] Encouraging

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com...1418&hilit=FSX
    Last edited by scottmm73; 12-25-2010 at 10:01 PM.

Sorry for my answer that was not appropriate. Anytime I see a post about multiple monitors I can not help but post some pics. Matrox is the only way to do what you were asking that I know of that supports streatching of screen to two of three monitors. I believe that Nividia does have a new Video Card that also does this, using higher resolutions than 1600x1200. I believe in order to get 2 monitors you have to set higher than 1900x???. So I will say I don't know the answer other than "Matrox"

Hobbitrocks

Quote Originally Posted by scottmm73 View Post
    Well after a little bit of research it seems you cannot get fullscreen VC across multiple monitors.
    I don't believe this, as I have done across two monitors (1680x1050x2) on a low-end ATI card. It's not installed anymore so I can't recall the details, but I remember I had to tweak something in the CCC, not Windows. Of course, now I use a Matrix TH2GO

(I don't think WideViewAspect is relevant to this problem.)