Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Making my flight sim experience more realistic?

1. Default Making my flight sim experience more realistic?

Hi,

I am looking at ways to make my flight simulator experience more realistic. I don't mind if this is via addon (software or hardware), or just procedures etc..

Here is what I currently have:-

1. I a desent spec PC with 28" widescreen monitor
    2. I use a Saitek Yoke, Throttle and Pedals
    3. I use TrackIR 4
    4. I have a Butt Kicker Gamer
    5. I have an Aerosoft 747 MCP
    6. I have a headset and microphone
    7. I have FSX + SP2
    8. I have REX 2 Weather
    9. I have PMSounds for runway bump noises
    10. I fly the PMDG 747-400
    11. I have the Turbine Sound System for the PMDG 747 to enchance experience
    12. I have GEX
    13. I have detailed airports for most that I fly
    14. I use the default ATC
    15. I use FSBuild to create a FSX and PMDG MCP Flight Plans for DEP and ARR airports
    16. I use the PMDG 747 Load Manager to add my payload
    17. I use the Felice Valente Boeing 747-400 Fuel Planner v2.01 to workout accurate fuel requirements
    18. I then load FSX and a Dark and Cold cockpit
    19. I load my flight plan using default FSX setup and then use the default ATC
    20. I use the PMDG 747 extended procedures and checklist to plan setup the aircraft and plan my route
    21. I use AERAD plates to obtain a correct SID for the runway I am to use (default ATC doesn't tell me what to use)
    22. I then perform the necessary checklists, fly my route and land at arrival airport
    23. I then perform a full shutdown or turn around config

With all of this in mind I am keen to hear your suggestions how I can make the experience more realistic.

I look forward to your comments / suggestions

Thanks
    Mark

2. Default

What are you realism settings in FSX? Have you considered to introduce failures in flight with the FSX failure system?

Paolo

I would suggest either Radar Contact or VoxATC to replace the default ATC. Also, you might check out United Virtual Airlines. They have some really good training documents associated with their check rides; some specific to the 747.

Forgot to mention FS2Crew for the PMDG 747.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    What are you realism settings in FSX? Have you considered to introduce failures in flight with the FSX failure system?

Paolo
    Hi,

I have my realism settings set quite high so overstress etc cause me to crash. Not really considered system failures but will take a look at them further.

Re-reading my original post makes it clear that the ATC I use isn't really up to much. Any thoughts on a replacement?

run with fspassengers

also little things, manually set your altimeter - no b key
    and your hdg - no d key

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by slowroll View Post
    I would suggest either Radar Contact or VoxATC to replace the default ATC. Also, you might check out United Virtual Airlines. They have some really good training documents associated with their check rides; some specific to the 747.

Forgot to mention FS2Crew for the PMDG 747.
    Thanks for this... Do you have the link to the training documents / check rides as I struggled to find anything..?

Thanks
    Mark

Proflight Emulator Deluxe (PFE) and FDC Live Cockpit (FDC) are excellent replacements for the default ATC. They both have a wide choice of different English accents and PFE has a very realistic taxi guidance system, among other things. Well worth the money, especially if you like to use the heavies.
    Ray

8. Default

Check out "Itsyourplane" It gives you a First Officer who talkes you through the checklists,

will turn on or off switches, tune the radios at your command.

.and can even assist you on landings and takeoffs.

9. Default

Thanks for all the replies. So its looks like one of the following:-

1. Radar Contact
    2. FSC Live Cockput
    3. ProFlight Emulator Deluxe (PFE)
    4. ItsYourPlane

Can anyone comments on which they think is the best out of all of them and why?

Thanks
    Mark

Do you use ai as there nothing like having to wait for the 747 to take off before i can

Even waiting for some bird to land can be great as i always find my self looking to see what it is
    -Paul-
    i5 3750 @ 4.2ghz, GTX470 @ 1920x1080 - Asus P8Z77-V - 8gig ddr3 @ 1600mhz
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64 - FSX and Prepar3d