Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fsx fog generation and haze layer

1. Default Fsx fog generation and haze layer

Guys I've been very picky at the moment about weather in fsx, is anyone using a good solution to fog and/or haze depiction using real wx? I'm not necessarily talking about 3rd party programs or default real wx, but just the ugly haze layer. I haven t seen it in a while but lately any haze creates this thin cloud layer that seems to follow me around and disappears when I climb over say 5000ft. Not sure why lately, maybe it's in the metar but I see a complete flash when crossing it. Below on ground and looking up doesn t feel quite right either. If there is any way to replace this texture can anyone point me in the right direction? If I can remove it or replace with a better looking one, what's the best solution or suggestion with this issue?
    i7 920 @ 4.20 GHZ (Stable) Noctua SE cpu cooler
    6GB DDR3 Mushkin Redline 1600 CL6 ram/ 1xSata WD Black / FSX 1xvelociraptor
    EVGA GTX 480 / win 7 pro 64 bit
    Asus p6td Deluxe Antec 750 watts

2. Default

As far as I know, this can only be done with 3rd party weather generators such as Active Sky or REX.

VATSIM: P2 | I1

3. Default

I must admit, using real weather always looks dodgy to me.

Creating your own weather does give you the opportunity to deal with fog and haze though. I use 100% cirrus layers together with identical visibility layers i.e. 0 -2000 ft is a 100% layer of cirrus and a visibilty layer at 0 - 2000ft with say 5 miles. You can add further layers after that. Looks OK to me at least........until mountains and hills start poking through of course.
    Cheers

Paul Golding
    Dreamfleet/Flight1 727 & 727X Developer

Quote Originally Posted by flightsimmer747 View Post
    ...I haven t seen it in a while but lately any haze creates this thin cloud layer that seems to follow me around and disappears when I climb over say 5000ft...
    If I understand correctly, try checking your Visibility settings for every altitude layer. For example if your Vis is say 20 miles in the 0-5000ft layer, but is 50 miles or Unlimited above 5000ft, things will be clear as a bell above 5000ft, and hazy below it even with no clouds around.

PS- what I'm saying is that strictly speaking Visibility is a separate thing from weather.
    Last edited by ScatterbrainKid; 11-10-2010 at 09:26 AM.

Yes, I notice that while FSX weather reads the METAR, the interpretation of it into the sim is messed up. The solution is to play with visibility layers above or below cloud layers, create new vis layers and never allow viz beyond 40 miles without clearing all weather. But you have to do it manually.

6. Default

I used these settings in FSUIPC and have found the haze awesome.

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showth...ower-of-FSUIPC

7. Default

I've been working on this very issue, the way fsx interprets metars is really hit and miss.

As you say the visibility contained in the metar applies to 5000 feet and then suddenly you have instant visibility. Worse when you have fog, the visibility just appears out of nowhere.

There are a lot of other issues with fsx real wx, missing metars are just left as clear skies as are metars fsx fails to understand. (Which happens quite a bit)

I've managed to have quite a bit of success in overcoming these shorcomings and more.

Here are 3 sets of pics, first with fsx real weather then with my engine.

The software is going through beta testing at the moment, if you want to try it please send me a pm and I'll get you sorted out.

I expect the software to be finished within a few weeks, it works fine now but I'm still discovering little areas of fsx that sometimes give some very bizare results. For instance, having a cloud layed at 20,000 feet can effect the height of the base visibility layer!

If anyone else wants to have a go PM me or alternatively I'm hosting gamespy sessions over the next few days with these weather mods injected into it which works but is limited to around 300 miles of the host.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by CXA001 View Post
    As far as I know, this can only be done with 3rd party weather generators such as Active Sky or REX.
    Im using REX OD and still have the issue but i recall it was not this bad something changed somewhere, i really dont remember seeing what looks like low cloud layer of stratus or cirrus looking clouds hovering above me and following me around and it looks ugly when flying through it, its really thin.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by clydewhiting View Post
    I used these settings in FSUIPC and have found the haze awesome.

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showth...ower-of-FSUIPC
    Thats for fs9 not fsx, fsuipc for fsx does not offer visibility options.

10. Default

To the others with the suggestions, they are all correct visibility is separate and does look better with low level visibility even if once above it you see the change, unfortunately i can make it look good by setting up the layers manually but i personally prefer to jump in a plane and fly real weather right away it already takes me about 30 minutes to setup a flight and my sim with the add ons, so it takes time to get airborne, (airline type flying). Back in the day it took me so long to set up i got fed up and let the sim sit for months.