Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FSX Crashes on Startup

1. Default

It's in some distant folder from FSX, it's in different places on different computers. Go on the internet and look around to see where it is. I actually found mine in one of the folders. I don't know what the problem is at this point.

Why do you need the fsx.cfg file?

You need to search HIDDEN files and folders. FSX will not run without FSX.cfg so you must have one, but it can become corrupted so you rename it to FSX.cfg.BAK, restart the sim and it creates a new, default one on startup.

4. Default

How far into flight simulator do you get before error message and what does it say? One is below with link.

If you added any AI or aircraft since your last good flight.
    http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showth...hlight=JETWAYS

If your able to get into Flight Simulator and when you start the flight it happens then you may need to go back a step and select new aircraft and scenery locations and see if that works. If it does then go back and try aircraft you used, then scenery from error to see what one is causing problem.

finding fsx.cfg is for Windows 7, but hope it may be the same for Vista.
    C:\Users\Your Compuer Name Username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\fsx.CFG
    Last edited by maxc; 11-07-2010 at 02:21 PM.

This might be a pain, but start up FS again and when you get the error message click on the "more info" button on the lower left. This will give you the details on what is causing the error. Look for the "module" that it is pointing to. That will help a lot in getting the problem resolved. You say you haven't added anything, does that include none FSX related programs/files such as Acrobat Reader, Fraps, Google Chrome or any othe program???

6. Default

First off, I can't find the "more info". Second, I think it has something to do with the airplanes because after changing the name of the cfg file, FS opened in the "home" screen and it worked fine. Then I went to the "mission" screen (I knew "free flight" would not work) and it worked fine. I clicked on the first mission and then the problem reoccurred with the crash. Third, the problem occurs when in "free flight" screen and when you click on a mission.

If I had a screen shot of the box that comes up I could better direct you. I did a search and could only come up with one that was in some language I've never seen so translating it was not possible. On the right side bottom, you should have 2 buttons, but I can't remember what they say. There should also be a link with-in the box and I believe that is what you want to click on... There is another way to find the message. Goto Control Panel-Adminstrative Tools-Event Viewer-Custom Views-Administratrive Events : Look for errors in the top middle portion that relate to FSX. Let us know what you find..

8. Default

I don't know exactly what I am looking for, but I did find something related to FSX which went like this: "Faulting application fsx.exe, version 10.0.61637.0, time stamp 0x46fadb14, faulting module visualfx.dll, version 10.0.61637.0, time stamp 0x46fadb59, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00020cbb, process id 0x1878, application start time 0x01cb7d175eadc43b." I don't know what it means but it is probably something to do with the visualfx.dll. I hope this helps. There are a lot of these same messages at times when I think I tried to start up FSX. If a screen shot is needed after this evidence, please say so.

Thank You

9. Default

If I uninstall FSX and reinstall it, will all my addon airplanes and scenery's still be there? If they will stay there, I will attempt to uninstall and reinstall FSX to see if that works.

A re-install of Fsx should only be done as a last resort. Have you tried the repair option on the Fsx disc 1?
    Bruce
    I5-2500k@ 4.5Ghz/ 16 GB Gskill DDR3 1600/Nvidia GTX460 1GB// CH Yoke/Pedals/Throttle/TrackIR/Win7/ Fsx Deluxe SP1 & SP2

"Don't let fear or good judgment hold you back"