Hello Flight Simmers,
I'm using my husband's account to post this to you (So please forgive the ugly werewolf thing!).
If you know much about FSX and the various addons available, I could really use your help!
My husband really enjoyed FSX and used several different add ons with it that he purchased online. I know that he posted on this message board in the past to get advice on setting up his flight sim and what add ons were good to buy. While he is away I've had a friend of the family build him a new PC! I'd like to install FSX and have it all setup for him so that its all ready to go when he gets home and I reveal the surprise. I've got his yoke hooked up, his rudder pedals, his throttles, and FSX installed. The only problem I'm having is making sense out of all these add ons/utilities.
I got FSX itself installed with no problems, and I downloaded and installed Service Pack 1 and 2. So I think that part is done fine. Its all these aftermarket add ons that I'm confused by. Some of these he has DVD Cases and documentation for, some of them he purchased online so he only has the installs and proof of purchase. I'm not sure if these need to be installed in any certain 'order' and what not. I don't want to just install the 'basics' and have him do the rest, I want it to be all ready for him.
I've collected a list of the addons below. If someone has any insight into what order to install them in or anything special I should know during installation. I know alot of these add or replace the graphics of the game and I'm really worried that when I install one, it will overlay the previous one and I'll have the wrong graphics if I do it in the wrong order. As you can see, he has a bunch of this stuff and trying to figure out what goes where and when is like trying to figure out a puzzle. Help?!?!
Here is what he has:
1) The FSX Deluxe Edition Boxed set and then two downloaded files for Service Pack 1 and two:
For these, I simply installed from the boxed set. Then ran the Service Pack 1 install. Then when that was done, I ran the Service Pack 2 install.
2) Real Environment Xtreme (He has a disc that was sent to him, plus, he has a bunch of install files on his drive). Here are the files:
3) FSGenesis National Landclass Project for FSX (This is a downloaded File: uslc-x.exe)
4) FSGenesis World Terrain Mesh for FSX on DVD (Version 1.2)
5) FSGenesis Canada Terrain Mesh for FSX on DVD (Version 1.2)
6) FSGenesis Alaska-Hawaii Terrain Mesh for FSX on DVD (Version 1.2)
7) FSGenesis Mexico Terrain Mesh for FSX on DVD (version 2.0)
8) FSGenesis United States Terrain Mesh - EAST for FSX on DVD (Version 2.0)
9) FSGenesis United States Terrain Mesh - PLAINS for FSX on DVD (Version 2.0)
10) FSGenesis United States Terrain Mesh - ROCKIES for FSX on DVD (Version 2.0)
11) FSGenesis United States Terrain Mesh - WEST COAST for FSX on DVD (Version 2.0)
12) Ground Environment X - USA, CANADA, ALASKA on DVD
13) Active Sky Advanced for FSX and FS2004 (This one is a download with a setup.exe, and I have a license key)
14) Ultimate Terrain X USA on DVD
15) Ultimate Terrain X Canada on DVD
16) Radar Contact v4.3 (He has both the original DVD that was sent to him labelled v4 in the corner, and he has a downloaded file named: rcv43.exe, rcv43-0.bin, and rcv43-1.bin).
17) Scnery Tech Landclass, North America (This one was a download, the file is named ST-LC-NA-1-4_setup.msi)
I also found a Cessna 172 and a Dreamfleet Baron but I think those were back from when he was playing FS2004 and won't work with the new one.
This is probably all elementary to you guys, but to me, I'm lost and would certainly appreciate the help!
Thanks to everyone!