Thread: Beech Duke B60

Default Beech Duke B60

OK I've got a fs9 question for you guys. Firstly I've been frustrated that my more powerful computers are lacking hard drives and power supplies to allow me to run fs at a higher performance level. But I have a collection of P3's that are fully configured, one P4 also. Started doing some short hops in fs2000 on a p4 w/ moderate video card, was flying a Beech Duke B60 and King Air 350 on short hops about 500 NM. I looked at my collection of computers to recall what has an OK installation of FS9 on it.

I turned the crank over a few times and my Celeron 1.1 ghz w/ 256 mb (?) video card running Win 98SE coughed and sputtered to life. I updated Spybot to the latest version, and AVG to the last version that ran on 98SE (Avast doesn't support 98SE any more either, ClamAV seems to be the only one that supports 98SE). It's still running the last version of Zonealarm from the 98 era, and it's behind a router. Also, had to stay up half the night converting it from a dialup modem to ethernet card and broadband, this was easier said than done, had to do Linux + Linux to facilitate the driver install.

Fired up fs9 and because I was going for a little bit longer flight reduced the scenery graphics setting from Medium High to Medium Low, doesn't look that bad. I have a good King Air installed, but I didn't have Chuck Dome's Duke Duke04.zip I think. Changed the panel to the Baron's default panel, got real world weather updated every 15 minutes and started flying. I noticed it didn't seem like much of a hot rod as the real world plane has a reputation for, with 2 x 340 horsepower engines, ceiling of 35,800 feet, and top speed of 283 knots at its' ceiling.

I was trying to climb from FL200 toward FL350, I hadn't gotten past FL210 when I was really having problems with the power. I paused the flight and looked in the Aircraft.cfg. It said that it was engine type =0 which I presume means a piston engine, and that the engine scalar was 1.0 which sounds to me like ONE engine? Then the horsepower rating topped out at 500 HP. This seemed wrong, so I changed the engine scalar to 2.0, and lowered the horsepower per engine to 340 HP. Does that seem right? Even with that it doesn't seem right, at FL280 only climbing at 100 ft/min I nearly stalled out at 112 KIAS.

Second question, the Duke real world specs say that at FL358 that it can cruise at a top speed of 283 kts. What are they referring to exactly, KIAS? Or GS ground speed?

Thanks very much!
    68,000 lbs of thrust..... "Excellent!" --Montgomery Burns, Simpsons tv show

Oops made a mistake, it's 2 x 380 horse power. Any way do you think my mods to the aircraft cfg are OK or do you have any suggestions?

Also, 283 kts top speed must be the ground speed.

3. Default

AFAIK the indivual engines are declared in the [GeneralEngineData] section as Engine.0, Engine.1, etc.
    With engine scalar you mean power_scalar = 1 under [piston_engine]?
    I think that that is just an adjustment to the overall poweroutput. (ie, calculate engine power, then multiply by powerscalar for final output)
    Likely the topspeed will be true airspeed, which is groundspeed - wind.
    And (indicated airspeed/true airspeed) will decrease as you climb.
    How much fuel and payload are you carrying? You won't get as high on a fully loaded plane as on an empty plane.

Quote Originally Posted by jeroen79 View Post
    AFAIK the indivual engines are declared in the [GeneralEngineData] section as Engine.0, Engine.1, etc.
    With engine scalar you mean power_scalar = 1 under [piston_engine]?
    I think that that is just an adjustment to the overall poweroutput. (ie, calculate engine power, then multiply by powerscalar for final output)
    Likely the topspeed will be true airspeed, which is groundspeed - wind.
    And (indicated airspeed/true airspeed) will decrease as you climb.
    How much fuel and payload are you carrying? You won't get as high on a fully loaded plane as on an empty plane.
    Last night with the setting at scalar 2, and 380 hp with a full tank of gas I barely climbed straight to FL305, at full throttle. A RW Duke owner said in a blog that full throttle is too expensive on gas, it's better to run at 65% throttle. I wonder what altitude I could expect to cruise at if it were a RW Duke.

The RW Duke has some serious maintenance issues and costs. It needs the camshafts replaced with a redesigned set, and certain items fail at certain intervals without fail. I wonder if there is a high performance twin that is more practical? King Airs cost $50K US to maintain per year but they have a lot going for them.

5. Default

Andgels355,

Did you open your fuel vents on the Duke? Above 20K it really dogs it if the fuel vents are closed.
    http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=44567&dateline=1257967602
    Maintain thine airspeed, lest the ground rise up and smite thee.
    http://ospreyaircharter.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey Joe View Post
    Andgels355,

Did you open your fuel vents on the Duke? Above 20K it really dogs it if the fuel vents are closed.
    I'll check that. Thanks.