Thread: Autopilot Airspeed Hold

Default Autopilot Airspeed Hold

Hello everyone! I wanted to know if there is a way that I can configure an airspeed hold function on the Mooney for FSX by Carenado? I know that some of the default aircraft have airspeed hold options but is it possible to use it on an aircraft that don't already come configured with it? If anyone could help me out I would appreciate it!

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by KYBU18 View Post
    Hello everyone! I wanted to know if there is a way that I can configure an airspeed hold function on the Mooney for FSX by Carenado? I know that some of the default aircraft have airspeed hold options but is it possible to use it on an aircraft that don't already come configured with it? If anyone could help me out I would appreciate it!
    In my honest opinion, it's completely unnecessary. Altitude and HDG/NAV holds I 100% understand the need. For the mooney and almost all props (not turbo-props) set the throttle and RPM and if you're level your speed will pretty much hold where it is. Not like jets that are very sensitive and easily, yet slowly, pick up crazy amounts of speed.

For the sake of simplicity: Throttle comes back a little before the redline of Manifold Pressure and the rpm's should be also a little before the red tape on the RPM gauge.

There's a common term used: "Prop On Top", meaning the RPM (prop) is on top (or a higher number) than the Manifold Pressure. So once the RPM is set, reduce the throttle until it's just a tad less than the RPM.

Hope this helps eventhough it didn't give you an auto-throttle.
    Last edited by Foxtrot789; 10-05-2010 at 08:13 PM.

I know exactly what you mean, and this is a method that I frequently use both in the sim and in the real world. I have two models of the Carenado Mooney that I fly, one is with the stock setup and the other is equipped to the max with avionics and I my goal is to make it the ultimate IFR machine, and having an airspeed hold would be pretty cool.

4. Default

There are some fields for the autothrottle in the [autopilot] section in the aircraft.cfg.
    You could copy the settings from an aircraft that has autothrottle and add a suitable gauge to the panel.

I just went through and did that, and it works to a certain extent. The throttle will move but at a very slow pace and it takes about 3 minutes for it to get to full power. I played around with some numbers to see if increasing the throttle rate would fix that issue but it didn't. I also replaced the stock autopilot with the default 737 autopilot due to the fact that it has an auto throttle toggle and a IAS/MACH selector. Any suggestions?

Yes, fly something with an autothrottle. The Mooney is a poor candidate for an auto-throttle as it just doesn't work properly with piston props.

Quote Originally Posted by simonevans View Post
    Yes, fly something with an autothrottle. The Mooney is a poor candidate for an auto-throttle as it just doesn't work properly with piston props.
    Brilliant!!
    The presence of those seeking the truth, is infinitely to be prefered to those who think they have found it. Terry Pratchett

Sometimes, stating the bleeding obvious is the way forward.