Thread: Joysticks + Windows 7

Default Joysticks + Windows 7

I run Windows 7 64-bit and am about to buy my first joystick.

I'm considering the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro (good beginner's stick, by all accounts) and the Saitek Cyborg X stick.

I've read numerous posts which conflict on whether these sticks will run in Windows 7.

As they both have USB connectivity, some state that W7 recognises them immediately, so no problem. Others report recognition problems. So I'm a bit confused!

I looked at the Microsoft Windows 7 Compatibility Center for the Saitek and it lists a whole string of Saitek hardware as compatible but not the Cyborg X.

The other slightly confusing thing is that, if they are USB sticks - which should be recognised - what is the purpose of the 64-bit drivers/software on both the Logitech and Saitek web sites?

If it helps, I'll be running (hopefully) Falcon 4.0 Allied Force, MS FS2004 and IL-2 Sturmovik 1946.

TIA

2. Default

USB devices can be tricky. I have Windows 7, the X52Pro+Rudder Pedals and I have seen that, since I have a lots of USB devices, I have to delay the startup of the related Saitek service to make it work properly.

"The other slightly confusing thing is that, if they are USB sticks - which should be recognised - what is the purpose of the 64-bit drivers/software on both the Logitech and Saitek web sites?"

Recognized is different from being fully used. The software can be used to change settings/configuration on the joystick and the drivers give full access to all the joystick features.

Besides, drivers and software get updated often so it is a good practice, regardless of the fact Windows has recognized a certain device, to look for the most recent drivers.

Paolo

Anubis: thanks.

since I have a lots of USB devices, I have to delay the startup of the related Saitek service to make it work properly.
    I guess I can get round that by starting the Saitek service manually.

The software can be used to change settings/configuration on the joystick and the drivers give full access to all the joystick features.
    Of course, I was forgetting about configuring the hardware.

Do you have any thoughts on either of the joysticks I am considering?

Thanks again.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Paolo_R View Post
    Do you have any thoughts on either of the joysticks I am considering?
    Personally I would rather spend a little bit more on the joystick and try to buy a full throttle/joystick combo, as it is going to be your main interface with FSX: sometimes, spending less at the beginning means to spend ever more later on.

Try to look for a 2nd hand Saitek X-45 or X-52 on ebay for example, those should do a very good job and you can configure them as you wish.

Paolo

Try to look for a 2nd hand Saitek X-45 or X-52 on ebay for example, those should do a very good job and you can configure them as you wish.
    Well, the new prices for these are quite a bit more than I wanted to pay, especially as I'm just starting out, and feeling my way. But I'll check our eBay as you suggest.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paolo_R View Post
    Well, the new prices for these are quite a bit more than I wanted to pay, especially as I'm just starting out, and feeling my way. But I'll check our eBay as you suggest.
    I bought a new THRUSTMASTER T.Flight Hotas X when my trusty CH gameport stick wouldn't work with an adapter. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but for $40usd, it is a bargain with separate Throttle and Stick with twist rudder. It has 12 buttons and an 8 way hat, enough for gear, up/down flaps, up/down trim, brakes, parking brake, etc. The only minor issue for me is, you have to keep a little downward pressure on the throttle unit to keep it from sliding around.

I also added a 15 button programmable keypad for up to 45 other "assignable" functions. For a total of $110, I am quite pleased...Don

Don: in the end, I decided to go with the Saitek Cyborg X Flight Stick. It's a bit more expensive than the Logitech but seems to have more programmable functions and a separate throttle control. If it doesn't work out, I'm not risking a fortune!