Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fps Limiter

Default fps Limiter

Any of ya'll know about fps limiter 0.2?

My limited reading on this suggests it may be best to set frame limits in the sim to unlimited and use fps limiter to externally limit frame rates; and this may help eliminate stutters for smoother graphics.

I mostly see it suggested for fsx. Does it help control stutters in fs9 as well?

Where would be a reliable source for the utility if you would recommend its use?

Or, am I just wet on the whole topic? (It wouldn't be my first time and likely not my last)

I'm really a little hesitant on this one. I may be diving into the deep end on this one with no water in the pool.
    Jesse Cochran "JesC"
    "...eyes ever turned skyward."

Alienware Aurora R4, Win7x64, Intel i7-3820 @ 3.6ghz/4.3ghz turbo, 8gb RAM @ 2133hz,
    EVGA/Nvidia GTX770/ACX @4.0gb, 1TB SATA @ 6gb/s, Intel 330 120gb SSD for FSX

Anybody?? Anything??
    Jesse Cochran "JesC"

Alienware Aurora R4, Win7x64, Intel i7-3820 @ 3.6ghz/4.3ghz turbo, 8gb RAM @ 2133hz,

There is an extensive discussion of this utility and how to set it up here:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/292799-...st__p__1809199

It may provide the answers you are seeking.

Also try a serach using FPS limiter as the criteria here and at the Avsim forums. There are numerous posts about this utility and if it is worth using or not.
    David "Opa" Marshall

Thanks, David.

I've been searching and reading its just not soaking in with me yet. I'll keep researching.
    Jesse Cochran "JesC"

I really prefer not to leave threads hanging, so…

Well, I spent a good deal of time researching and was never really satisfied that I was finding the answers I sought. Searches for anything related to frame rates can be rather tedious since its been brought up in so many threads. FPS Limiter is mentioned quite often as a reference but seldom discussed in any depth that I could find. And I really was digging deep to find any references to its use in FS9.

I also could not find any active links to sites for the download in the forums I trust. What I found in web searches led me to sites that I thought were mostly questionable at best. I never found a link to the original author but eventually found the fps limiter utility at a site called 4shared.com. I don’t know this site and wouldn’t necessarily recommend it; this is the one and only time for me to download there. Nevertheless the download seemed to go ok.

There were no instructions or guides for installation. And, installation was in some ways, a bit challenging since some of the process seemed a little counter-intuitive to me. I was successful, however, in a reasonable amount of time, and I wouldn‘t describe myself as having strong computer skills.

After a moderate amount of testing and experimentation I would say the utility is helpful for stabilizing frame rates and minimizing stutters. It works in FS9 similarly to descriptions I have read of its use in FSX. I am satisfied with its performance and it is definitely helpful to creating smoother performance; but, I would not describe it as an ultimate answer to stutters or a “must have“. I find it beneficial and will continue to use it.

For Reference Here Is My System Spec:

Dell Studio XPS16 Notebook, with Samsung 23“ external monitor, i7-820QM (1.73/3.06ghz; 8 mb cache), ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670 - 1Gb , and 8gb RAM.

I use:

FS9, Flight Environment, Ground Environment, Ultimate Terrain and fsGenesis Meshes; with numerous sceneries downloaded from FlightSim.com, most domestic airllines from WorldofAI and abundant GA-AI using World of GA (also downloaded here at FlightSim.com). I also utilize Gamebooster based on many recommendations from reliable forum folks here at FlighSim.com

With the fps Limiter, I set FS9 frames to unlimited and the fps Limiter to 30 fps with the DXD9 “hook”.

If anyone has read this far, is still not asleep, and has questions I will do my best to answer based on this limited experience.

Thanks as always to everyone who read this thread and especially to those responding.
    Jesse Cochran "JesC"

6. Default

i believe people only use it with FSX because the FPS limiter functionality in FSX does not work correctly.

Hi,

I think the poster above is correct about the FSX FPS limiter not functioning very well .. hence the use of a third party software.....
    On a otherway .. I doubt stutters are exclusively a FPS limit problem as some can have stutters with a fairly power machine even with FPS limited to 30 or 25 FPS (that's low for a power machine)
    Methink it's not only FPS at play for the stutters problems ...

Regards.
    If you gave a couple of monkeys a box of ballpoints, enough paper, and enough time, they'd eventually finish up writing the complete works of Shakespeare

Default Thanks

Thanks to 918 for this informative post. I'm experimenting again with set ups on my new rig, so will have a try of FPS limiter.

We’ve all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.” (Robert Silensky)

Cheers,

MAB

10. Default

If you gave a couple of monkeys a box of ballpoints, enough paper, and enough time, they'd eventually finish up writing the complete works of Shakespeare