Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Scenery cfg

Default Scenery cfg

On startup I get the following.--- Scenery.CFG file error. Invalid remote scenery path in scenery Area 045. Click OK to continue.----- Your comments would be appreciated

Hi,
    go to FS/scenery .cfg and check the area 045.
    Sandokan

This can happen for several reasons - usually because a scenery enhancement has been manually removed before removing it via the Scenery Library dialogue.

You can use Notepad to open and review in your scenery.cfg file what Area 045 is supposed to be. While there also check the path to the scenery in question to be sure it is correct (assuming you still have the entry installed).

Your Scenery.cfg file is located in your Flight Simulator 9 folder.

This is an example of what I happen to have in Area 045 - the path to it is highlighted in Red:

[Area.045]
    Title=MAIW Scenery Library Objects
    Local=Addon Scenery\MAIW Scenery Library Objects
    Remote=
    Active=TRUE
    Required=FALSE
    Layer=45

If it points to something you no longer have, then delete the entry using the Scenery Library dialogue in FS2004. Do not manually delete it in the Scenery.cfg file - unless you are absolutely sure you know what you are doing.

Hope that helps - let us know please.
    David "Opa" Marshall

Many thanks for your response. I have managed to display a cfg file for FS9, but not the specific format for the Scenery. I have managed to locate a Scenery file prior to my existing set-up being Windows 7 64 bit. This change being for FSX

Quote Originally Posted by dancd View Post
    Many thanks for your response. I have managed to display a cfg file for FS9, but not the specific format for the Scenery. I have managed to locate a Scenery file prior to my existing set-up being Windows 7 64 bit. This change being for FSX
    I am not sure I understand your response.

The scenery.cfg file for FS2004 is in the same location (your main Flight Simulator 9 folder) regardless of the Operating System you are using.

The FS9.cfg and FSX.cfg file locations is a different story - but we are not concerned with that now.

Have you manually deleted any scenery recently - without deleting it via the Scenery Library in FS2004 first?

Please provide more details.
    David "Opa" Marshall

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by opaplano View Post
    This can happen for several reasons - usually because a scenery enhancement has been manually removed before removing it via the Scenery Library dialogue.

You can use Notepad to open and review in your scenery.cfg file what Area 045 is supposed to be. While there also check the path to the scenery in question to be sure it is correct (assuming you still have the entry installed).

Your Scenery.cfg file is located in your Flight Simulator 9 folder.

This is an example of what I happen to have in Area 045 - the path to it is highlighted in Red:

[Area.045]
    Title=MAIW Scenery Library Objects
    Local=Addon Scenery\MAIW Scenery Library Objects
    Remote=
    Active=TRUE
    Required=FALSE
    Layer=45

If it points to something you no longer have, then delete the entry using the Scenery Library dialogue in FS2004. Do not manually delete it in the Scenery.cfg file - unless you are absolutely sure you know what you are doing.

Hope that helps - let us know please.
    Hi david I have a similar problem. and tried this solution, the problem being for example, tiitle is correct area number is 43 layer 56 in my scenery list this scenery is at 156 any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by johnrgby View Post
    Hi david I have a similar problem. and tried this solution, the problem being for example, tiitle is correct area number is 43 layer 56 in my scenery list this scenery is at 156 any thoughts?
    I am afraid I am not understanding your numbers - What do you mean "this scenery is at 156" ?

And are you getting an error message - if so, what exactly does it say?
    David "Opa" Marshall

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by opaplano View Post
    I am afraid I am not understanding your numbers - What do you mean "this scenery is at 156" ?

And are you getting an error message - if so, what exactly does it say?
    One error message says, Scenery cfg error local scenery directory[add on scenery/baddesly not fpond in area 43, Now I have assumed this refers to what area it is in FS9 but it is not it is in 156, within my senery cfg file it shows as Area 43 level 56,
    the other message I get says Scenery cfg error local scenery directory [1033 chivenor not foiund in area 69 now here I think I may have renamed file 1033 and so this does not exist anymore. the chivenor scenery shows up irespective, but baddesly does not, it is just that i get about 12/13 of these mesages at start up.

Quote Originally Posted by johnrgby View Post
    One error message says, Scenery cfg error local scenery directory[add on scenery/baddesly not fpond in area 43, Now I have assumed this refers to what area it is in FS9 but it is not it is in 156, within my senery cfg file it shows as Area 43 level 56,
    the other message I get says Scenery cfg error local scenery directory [1033 chivenor not foiund in area 69 now here I think I may have renamed file 1033 and so this does not exist anymore. the chivenor scenery shows up irespective, but baddesly does not, it is just that i get about 12/13 of these mesages at start up.
    By manually attempting to edit your scenery.cfg file it would seem you have created more issues.

This is what I recommend:

1. Navigate to your Addon scenery folder (or wherever you normally have enhancements installed) and write down (on paper) a list of everything you have installed - so you can refer to it later in this sequence.

2. Start up FS2004 and get to the Scenery Library dialogue.

3. Delete all your addon entries - but not the default entries. I believe FS will not allow you to delete default ones anyway.

4. Exit FS2004 and restart it. It should rebuild the indexes during startup.

5. Go to your Scenery Library dialogue, and add your scenery entries back in - starting with the one which is just known as Addon scenery. I would add them back in five or so at a time, and then exit FS and restart - just to be sure that everything was recorded correctly for each batch. Repeat until all your installed add-ons have been added and activated.

Note: You are not deleting the actual scenery enhancements - just the record of them in the Scenery Library and doing that removes them from the scenery.cfg file properly.

Tedious I know, but perhaps the best way to get your Scenery.cfg back in shape and avoid the error message(s) at start-up.
    David "Opa" Marshall

10. Default

You may end up messing things even more if you are not careful.

Download the following utility: http://home.earthlink.net/~smgreenwo.../fsscenery.zip and run that exe inside the folder where you have scenery.cfg. That utility will adjust area and level numbers in such a way to be consequential. So you will end up having at least a formally correct scenery.cfg.

The next step is to check which sceneries give error messages and you can exclude them for the time being.

Then work on ensuring the priority of the entries in scenery.cfg is correct. Smaller elements have higher priority (add-on airports over add-on areas over default Flight Simulator). You do that via the scenery library.

Then finally you can work on the sceneries with error messages. Maybe a wrong folder name or else.

My 0.02 USD

Paolo