Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is FSX Gold = FSX Deluxe + FSX Acceleration?

Default Is FSX Gold = FSX Deluxe + FSX Acceleration?

I can't find a copy of FSX Gold in the stores in Ottawa, Canada. Amazon.ca does not carry it (they link to a few 3'rd party outfits) but it does have FSX Deluxe and FSX Acceleration.

Is FSX Gold = FSX Deluxe + FSX Acceleration?

Also, can I upgrade my existing FSX Standard to Deluxe/Accel and not lose my flight rewards and any custom airplanes / scenery I may have installed or do I have to start from scratch?

Thanks.
    FSX Acceleration WIN7x64 Core i7 6GB RAM. Fond memories of Compuserve Fly-Ins.

Yes,

and yes. Quick search on logbook should sort you out, as well as my recent advice on reinstalling

Thanks.

I received the FSX Gold package today. I ended up ordering from a third party through Amazon.ca. Delivery was prompt. I thought I'd post my experience with upgrading from FSX Standard with SP2 to FSX Gold (Deluxe and the Acceleration Pack).

Note: I had no FSX add-ons installed and am running Win 7 x64. FSX Standard with SP2 was installed and running without problems.

Long Story Short

It seems that in my case, I needed a "fix it" (see below) to clear out my previous activation for FSX Standard before I could activate FSX Deluxe from the Gold Package. Additionally, I had to activate both FSX Deluxe and the Acceleration Pack using safe mode with networking.

This process consumed the better part of 3 hours. What a PITA! Hopefully this post will help others who find it by searching for something like "Can't activate / authorize FSX after upgrading from standard to deluxe / gold".

1. I made copies of the following folders so I wouldn't lose my pilot's log and to have a backup copy of my settings if necessary:

Documents\Flight Simulator X Files

C:\Users\MyUserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

It turns out this was unnecessary as the FSX Deluxe installer asked me if I wanted to save my old files, to which I answered yes.

2. I uninstalled FSX Service Pack 2 using Control Panel -> Programs and Features

3. I uninstalled FSX using Control Panel -> Programs and Features (Note: I recall installing FSX SP 1 at some point but there was no entry in Control Panel's Programs and Features so I didn't have to uninstall this component)

4. I Installed FSX Deluxe from the Gold Package

5. I ran FSX and was asked to activate the software. I entered my product key, clicked next and received an error saying that the authorization failed. I retried a couple of times and then chose the Activate By Phone option. This resulted in an hourglass cursor with the FSX Splash screen displayed. After waiting for a minute or so, I found out that a message box telling me that an error had prevented the activation from working was sitting behind the splash screen waiting for me to press OK. I pressed OK but instead of displaying a list of phone numbers that I could call, it simply loaded FSX in Demo mode (Help -> About showed that it was in demo mode)

6. I searched this forum and found out about the "Phone Activation.xml" file in Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X. I opened this file in Notepad and located the number to call from Canada for telephone activation (866 740-1256). I called this number and waited while the auto attendant tried to convince me that activation online would be much quicker and easier to boot. It then asked me for a product installation ID which of course, I didn't have. Finally it transferred me to a person in the activation department who took my contact details and then walked me through step 5 above (twice). She then created a case # for me and put me into the game activation technical support queue. After about 5 minutes on hold, the telephone connection was lost. I repeated this step (# 6) but since I already had a case number I was able persuade the person on the other end to pass me through to the game activation tech support group. After about 5 minutes on hold I was talking to an appropriate person.

7. I was walked through step 5 again. I was then asked to go to microsoft.com in my web browser and search for "kb 960480". This turned up an article titled "Troubleshoot activation issues for Microsoft games and mapping programs" ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/960480 ). I was asked to scroll down to the Microsoft Fix it button and click the link "Fix this problem" (Microsoft Fix it 50176). I was then told to select Run (as opposed to save) and confirm the UAC prompts. The fix it ran and reported success. It then asked me to restart my computer which I did.

8. The technician then asked me to run FSX and try to activate again. I did so and entered my product key for what seemed like the 10'th time. Again, I received an error saying that the authorization failed. The technician asked me to reboot into Safe Mode With Networking (Restart and tap F8 after power on self-test) and then run FSX to activate. I did so and the activation succeeded. I was then told to reboot back to normal mode and then run FSX again. I did so and FSX loaded properly. I thanked the technician and asked if I would have any problems installing the Acceleration Pack. I was assured that the problem was solved so I hung up and then installed the Acceleration Pack.

9. The installation went as expected. I then ran FSX and was asked to activate the Acceleration Pack. I entered my product code, clicked next and received an error message saying the activation server could not be reached. I then chose the activate by phone option and received the error "Failed to retrieve the product installation ID". It suggested that I reinstall or contact customer support for assistance.

10. Before calling them for a third time, I decided to try activation using safe mode. I rebooted into safe mode with networking. I ran FSX again and went through the Acceleration Pack's activation procedure. After entering my product key I received the message "Your copy of FSX Acceleration has been successfully activated". I clicked the Finished button and then FSX loaded but then complained that my screen resolution was inadequate. This made sense since I was in safe mode at 800 x 600 I believe. I rebooted to regular mode and re-ran FSX. Success.

Again. What a PITA but what are you going to do? FSX is brilliant.

Now that I have FSX Deluxe and Acceleration pack installed, do I have to apply the SP 2 patch again?

What about that business with copying UIAutomationCore.dll to the FSX program folder?

Thanks.

If it's working, leave it alone. Just defragment the whole installation using a better-than-default defrag utility and go fly.

You don't need to be creating problems for yourself at this stage.

Finally, a tip. All around the forums you will find snake oil tweaks for your FSX.cfg file that will double your fps, increase your brain power, make better use of RAM, and quite possibly increase the size of your... hard drive. MOST OF THEM ARE TOTAL B*LL*X...

After years of testing tweak after tweak, mod after mod, chasing that ever-elusive goal of extra fps, faster loading or smoother gameplay, you know what? I am running FSX on an almost stock FSX.cfg. It works better than with any mods previously applied, including the highly-documented, well-tested and excellently-researched `Jesus mods`...

If you start to add products that require tweaks, that's a different matter. But for now, you have a working platform, so resist the temptation and just GO FLY!

Quote Originally Posted by ou81aswell View Post
    Now that I have FSX Deluxe and Acceleration pack installed, do I have to apply the SP 2 patch again?
    No. Acceleration includes SP2.

Now with extra BLOGiness!

Thanks guys!

9. Default

If FSX Gold is the same as FSX Deluxe how come the Gold edition does not come with the SDK?

Quote Originally Posted by dlegg32 View Post
    If FSX Gold is the same as FSX Deluxe how come the Gold edition does not come with the SDK?
    The Gold Edition does come with the SDK on Disk 1, and the Acceleration SDK on Disk 3...Don
    HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E,i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW
    16GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)
    WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)
    Active Sky Next, Rex4 TD/Soft Clouds

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast