Thread: Mipbias having no effect

Default Mipbias having no effect

Evening everyone (or good aftenoon on the other side of the pond),

I am using the mipbias setting and find whatever number I use makes no difference. I have the following lines in both my display and display devices sections:

MipBias=6

On previous systems, low settings (1 to 3) caused bluriness and high settings (7 to 9) resulted in twinkling (for want of a better description) of the scenery textures.

System specs are in my signature.

Can anyone explain why the setting might not be having any effect?

Thanks, IAN
    Q9550 @ 3.78 GHz with Gainward GTX570 1.25 Gig DRAM
    4 Gig DDR2 RAM - Windows 7 64 Bit
    FSX SP2
    Resolution 1680 X 1050 X32

Yes, duplication..?

Also, what are your graphic card settings? These will usually overule anything in the FSX.cfg file... ALWAYS adjust first in the sim.

Also, do you have anisotropic filtering selected? There's scant difference in mip bias settings unless you do.

Thanks Simon, but I can never remember whether it should be in the display or display device section.

Graphics card is set to 8x aa and 16x AF enhance the program settings (but whatever I set makes no difference so I've had to set AA in game, which I have never done before on any other system or flightsim - got no joy with Nhancer either)

Yes filtering is set to Anistropic in FSX.

I think the graphics card is not using mips for some reason.

IAN
    FSX SP2

From memory the correct location is under Display.Device.XXXX (your graphic card info)

And you also need Negative LOD bias clamped in your graphic card settings.

But IIRC the conclusions were that MipBias has very little effect in FSX, certainly not as much as changing the LOD setting - LOD_Detail_Radius

Of course mipbias mods will only work on mipped textures, so possibly the result you are not seeing is a function of using non-mipmapped textures?

5. Default

You should use mipbias in conjunction with negative LOD (clamp on) and Texture filtering (Anisotropic on).

Paolo

Thanks Guys, Negative LOD is set to clamp inthe Nvidia control panel and I'm using lod_radius 8.5.

It may be that I'm using addon airports and photoscenery most of the time. I may double check using default scenery, though i don't recall noticing any difference there either.

I never had too many video problems using various machines, cards, versions of flightsim or operating systems in the past. Not sure whether it's the 64 bit system thats the problem or the drivers Nvidia made for it.

Anyway, it's working ok. I'm getting pretty good graphics overall and generaaly fly around at 45 fps locked. Even at the biggest airports in default aircraft, I'm still getting over 30 fps unless I go mad with clouds.

IAN
    FSX SP2