Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: FSX CFG Question.

  1. #1

    Default FSX CFG Question.

    I accidentally messed up my scenery in FSX resulting among other things water where it shouldn't be. I understand I may be able to fix the problem by reapplying the scenery cfg file. I'm not sure which one to use as there are quite a few, both on C\Program Data\Microsoft\FSX. and in F\FSgames\Microsoft Flight Simulator X. I did try to do a repair with the FSX Delux installation disk but it didn't give a repair option, only install. My OS is Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. I will appreciate any help with this.
    Ray


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Memphis, TN.
    Posts
    1,230
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default scenery cfg

    you should have a fresh backup default copy in your install folder - there is also a copy on the install disk you can get to it directly at:

    disk1\program files\microsoft games\Flight Simulator X\scenery.cfg

    if you use either virgin cfg, you will have to "add" your scenery back again.

    Loyd
    Hooked since FS4... now flying: FSX Acceleration on Win7/64, Core Duo E8400; GA-EP45-DS3R; GTX 460-768MB; 4G RAM; Freezer 7 Pro

  3. #3

    Default

    Thank' Loyd, OK, I found the senery.cfg on the install disk. What Is the next move?
    Ray


  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Toriu View Post
    Thank' Loyd, OK, I found the senery.cfg on the install disk. What Is the next move?
    In case Loyd does get back to you as soon as you would like, the scenery.cfg which FSX writes data to is located in one of two locations (depending upon how you answered a prompt during the installation).

    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX

    or

    C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX

    The first location is more likely.

    Once you find the correct one, simply rename it to something like scenery.cfg.BAK.

    Then Paste a copy of the one from the install CD into the folder replacing what you just renamed.

    Optionally you could just Paste a copy of the one you found in the Microsoft Flight Simulator X. It is simply a backup of the original default scenery.cfg file. It should have 115 entries (viewed in Notepad). Mine is 11 KB in size.

    One way or the other, this should provide you with a new Scenery Library dialogue in the sim which has only the default entries.
    David "Opa" Marshall

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Memphis, TN.
    Posts
    1,230
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    If you want to see if that resolves the issue:

    A) do you know where your currently active scenery.cfg is located?
    mine is "C:\Users\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\Scenery.CFG" because I installed for all users...
    If I had installed just for myself it would be in a parallel folder under MY username.

    B) make sure that any scenery.cfg residing in this folder is renamed as a backup.

    C) place the new default scenery.cfg in this folder and start FSX to see the results.

    So far as I know this should be the only location for the active Scenery.cfg. You may want to do a "broad" search for any other copies of this file on your drives.

    If this doesn't fix anything, you may well have to reinstall; but before going that route, give some more details about what the issues are... maybe it can be fixed.

    If you have water where is shouldn't be, maybe you have deleted some scenery. However, not having it referenced in the scenery.cfg might very well give you the same result.

    Loyd

    edit: seems Opa posted while I was composing; good going grampa'
    Last edited by llivaudais; 09-11-2010 at 09:27 PM.
    Hooked since FS4... now flying: FSX Acceleration on Win7/64, Core Duo E8400; GA-EP45-DS3R; GTX 460-768MB; 4G RAM; Freezer 7 Pro

  6. #6

    Default

    Sorry Loyd - We were apparently typeing at the same time.
    David "Opa" Marshall

  7. #7

    Default

    Thank you both for the feedback. I think I understand. Just to make sure, below are all the senery.cfg's I found. Do I rename the one in the main FSX folder [22/08/2007],then paste another one in but making sure its just named as scenery.cfg.


    In C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX [Windows7 OS is on this drive]
    OldScenery.CFG 11/09/2010
    Scenery.CFG 11/04/2010
    scenery.cfg.2010-4-14-19-37.PWSV1.ssibackup 14/04/2010
    scenery.cfg.2010-4-14-19-38.PWSV1.ssibackup 14/04/2010
    scenery.cfg.2010-4-14-19-38.PWSV2.ssibackup 14/04/2010
    scenery.cfg.2010-4-14-19-39.PWSV4.ssibackup 14/04/2010
    scenery.cfg.2010-4-14-19-3944.PWSV5 14/04/2010
    Scenery.cfg_Orbx_Backup.cfg 23/08/2010
    Scenery_CFG_before_installing_CCS - Caracas VFR - FSX.cfg 04/06/2010

    IN F:\FS Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X [The main FSX folder]
    scenery.cfg 22/08/2007
    Ray


  8. #8

    Default Wait

    If you run the Orbx FTX Central you can un-do (ie: RESTORE) the FSX cfg up to that date, as Orbx did a backup of your FSX scenery cfg: (Ie: 'Scenery.cfg_Orbx_Backup.cfg 23/08/2010'). That way you won't have to re-install or re-activate all your scenery. The scenery cfg from the install disc is 'default' and not what you want. Just my 2 cents.
    CB
    Napamule

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Toriu View Post
    Thank you both for the feedback. I think I understand. Just to make sure, below are all the senery.cfg's I found. Do I rename the one in the main FSX folder [22/08/2007],then paste another one in but making sure its just named as scenery.cfg.


    In C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX [Windows7 OS is on this drive]
    OldScenery.CFG 11/09/2010
    Scenery.CFG 11/04/2010
    scenery.cfg.2010-4-14-19-37.PWSV1.ssibackup 14/04/2010
    scenery.cfg.2010-4-14-19-38.PWSV1.ssibackup 14/04/2010
    scenery.cfg.2010-4-14-19-38.PWSV2.ssibackup 14/04/2010
    scenery.cfg.2010-4-14-19-39.PWSV4.ssibackup 14/04/2010
    scenery.cfg.2010-4-14-19-3944.PWSV5 14/04/2010
    Scenery.cfg_Orbx_Backup.cfg 23/08/2010
    Scenery_CFG_before_installing_CCS - Caracas VFR - FSX.cfg 04/06/2010

    IN F:\FS Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X [The main FSX folder]
    scenery.cfg 22/08/2007
    To restore your Scenery Library with just the default entries:

    The one you want to rename is the one named scenery.cfg in your C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX folder.

    You can Copy the one you find in your main FSX folder and Paste it into your C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX to replace the one which you have renamed.
    David "Opa" Marshall

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by napamule2 View Post
    If you run the Orbx FTX Central you can un-do (ie: RESTORE) the FSX cfg up to that date, as Orbx did a backup of your FSX scenery cfg: (Ie: 'Scenery.cfg_Orbx_Backup.cfg 23/08/2010'). That way you won't have to re-install or re-activate all your scenery. The scenery cfg from the install disc is 'default' and not what you want. Just my 2 cents.
    CB
    Napamule
    Thanks, yes I'd rather do it this way. Please can you explain exactly what I have to do. I am not clear on which scenery.cfg to change.
    Ray


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •