Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lod radius question

Default Lod radius question

Just a quick question mind you

Now i have my ssd for fsx i have increased the lod radius to 8.5 but what distance in nm does that represent around the aircraft in fsx ??

Couldn't tell you gandy, but that's the setting I've been using for ages and I remember being told that that was the optimum to use if a system could handle it.

Any more and you apparently are going beyond the level of vision (and flights will take an age to load too).

IAN
    Q9550 @ 3.78 GHz with Gainward GTX570 1.25 Gig DRAM
    4 Gig DDR2 RAM - Windows 7 64 Bit
    FSX SP2
    Resolution 1680 X 1050 X32

could be the best setting, With the ssd i have at that setting with autogen and scenery on very dense it does not take long to load a flight ( still quicker than a normal hard drive with the lod set to 4.5 ) but im heading for better visuals than ai in the game

Yep. I've tried higher settings and they don't seem to make much difference. My system will take 9 or 9.5 just about.

Makes a big difference with my UK VFR photo scenery though and adding the emb mod gives it the contrast it so badly lacks.
    FSX SP2

Default just another question

I am flying with vfr real scenery to,
    I have win 7 64 bit & now have powercolour ati 5870 which is slightly o/c , my cpu is at 3.5 ghz, I would like to change my load radius but I am not sure where the folder is to change it.
    thanks for any replies.

Blog Entries

gandy,

The scenery elements are not square (and also get narrower (in miles) as you go further north), but the N-S dimensions are constant. The largest scenery element is about 39km (n-s) and that's what you would have 8.5 of from you to the 'end' of the detail scenery; 39km approximately equal to 24 miles.

Why the .5 in the radius? that accounts for the scenery cell you are in. In your case, you would be extending 8 units beyond the center one. Total width, about 400+ miles across in the mid-latitudes.

Loyd
    Hooked since FS4... now flying: FSX Acceleration on Win7/64, Core Duo E8400; GA-EP45-DS3R; GTX 460-768MB; 4G RAM; Freezer 7 Pro

Thanks Loyd

sleightflight you need to edit the fsx.cfg but you need to show hidden files and folders in the folder options and then you can search for fsx.cfg or browse to it.

you will find it at c:\users\your account name\appdata\roaming\microsoft\fsx\

Just open it with notepad but make a back up just incase something goes wrong
    Last edited by gandy; 09-09-2010 at 06:13 AM.

Smile

ok thanks I think I have it set to show hidden files but win 7 can be a bit confusing at times , soorry for the delay answering I couldn't get on my pc last night, I will let you know how I get on . thanks.

I hope you find what you need and it works for you sleightflight

I just brought the Horizon VFR GenX v2 bundle as they have more than 50% discount on it so im going to do a tour of England and Wales starting airport will be my local EGHH and my finish airport will be the same

All in my little, no autopilot Cessna 152

Post some screenies gandy, It wil be interesting to see how it compares with VFRs real scenery (which I'm not really that keen on).

IAN
    FSX SP2