Thread: How to get the jetway to your plane in FSX.

1. Wink How to get the jetway to your plane in FSX.

It's always bugged me, when using an add-on plane, that the jetway would not go to the plane so I finally sat down and spent some time figuring out how to make it work. Hopefully the screen shot that I uploaded shows up.

The plane I used was a DC-10 add-on plane. But should work for any plane.

I went to the default 747 folder in FSX and opened the aircraft.cfg file. I copy and pasted the "exits" portion to my DC-10's aircraft.cfg file to give me a starting point. (circled in red)

[exits]
    number_of_exits = 2
    exit.0 = 0.1, 45, -9.5, 11.5,0 //openclose rate percent per second, longitudinal, lateral, vertical positions from datum (feet), type (0=Main 1=Cargo 2=Emergency)
    exit.1 = 0.1, -146.0, 8.0, -7.5, 1 //openclose rate percent per second, longitudinal, lateral, vertical positions from datum (feet), type (0=Main 1=Cargo 2=Emergency)
    exit.2 = 0.1, -42.30, 9.0, -7, 2 //openclose rate percent per second, longitudinal, lateral, vertical positions from datum (feet), type (0=Main 1=Cargo 2=Emergency)

If you just want the correct configuration for the jetway to get to your DC-10, it's circled in green in the picture or here:

exit.0 = 0.1, 45, -9.5, 11.5, 0

If you would like to learn how I did it, the explanation is below:

Each set of numbers (followed by a comma) corresponds to how the jetway moves. I labeled each set of numbers with a number 1-5

As the picture shows exit.0 is the main exit, exit.1 is the cargo and etc.

1. = the 0.1 corresponds to how fast the door opens/closes (- = slower,
    + = faster)
    2. = the 45 corresponds to the jetway extending/retracting toward the door
    and away from the terminal (- = extending out, + = retracting back)
    3. = the -9.5 corresponds to the jetway moving left/right to or away from
    the plane. (- = further from the plane, + = closer to the plane)
    4. = the 11.5 corresponds to the jetway moving up/down vertically
    (- = down, + = up)
    5. = the 0 corresponds to.........well I didn't figure that out, but it messed
    things up when I changed it, so let's leave it alone for now.

Basically, you change one set of numbers, save the .cfg file, reload your plane, recall the jetway to your plane and see what the result of your number change did, if you went to far or not far enough edit it some more until the jetway makes it to the door. Just remember to save your .cfg file and reload your plane after every change.

It's time consuming at first but once you get the hang of the numbers and how much of a change they make it gets much faster.

I thought I would post this with the hopes that it could help someone else out. Hopefully I explained it clearly.

Enjoy,
    Christopher
    Last edited by SubZeroOne; 08-17-2010 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Picture didn't show up.

Blog Entries

A very clear explanation, thank you for this.

Maybe I should put this on the wiki?
    I fly through the valley of death, but I fear no evil,for I am at 80,000 feet and climbing. Let's powerdive and scare that poor soul in that Ultralight there.

At the edge of the foothills west of Denver, Colorado, USA.

Thanks for the writeup, SubZeroOne. I see that you're new to FlightSim.Com (welcome) but evidently not to FS. Would you care to comment?
    Digital abstract art copyright 2010 Mike McCarthy, all rights reserved.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by xxmikexx View Post
    Thanks for the writeup, SubZeroOne. I see that you're new to FlightSim.Com (welcome) but evidently not to FS. Would you care to comment?
    Hey Mike, actually I'm not new to flightsim.com, I've been hanging out here for years, but for some reason I couldn't get my old login (ZeroCool) to work one day so I created a new account.

I love this place, it has taught me so much about flight simming and it's not often that I get to contribute back but I try to as much as possible.

Thanks for the comment,

Chris