Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fsx atc

1. Default Fsx atc

So is there any way to improve the FSX ATC?

Or at least modify it? I'm having trouble with approaches to some famous airports. Take for example KLAX. Anyone who's landed there or lives in socal (me) knows that the two runways used for incoming traffic are 25L and 24R (the two outermost runways). Yet, repeatedly under any weather condition (ranging from 29.92 altimeter, no wind, to real world weather downloaded off the internet), it keeps making me land on 07L, which is the other end of the take off runway. If I'm lucky enough, I get two active runways at KLAX, but both being completely wrong about real life conditions. To make it even worse, when I ask ATC to let me land on 25L, it just gives me vectors to 25L and tells me to circle and land on runway 07, no matter what the conditions are. Under realism, I have set everything to "maximum" realism to reflect real life, but somehow, FSX ATC just doesn't get it.

It's very annoying how unrealistic this is for "the most realistic flight simulator."

I searched everywhere on Google, and although I found a few alternate ATC's that I can install as Add-ons to FSX, I didn't find a 'fix' for the default ATC.

So my questions are:
    1) Can the default ATC be modified to reflect real world approaches? (I recently downloaded Kai Tak scenery, and the person who made it included with it some more coding to enable ATC to reflect the real world approach to Kai Tak's infamous Runway 13, so I'm guessing it's doable, but not sure if it has to be done professionally, line by line).

2) What's the best alternative ATC for FSX? I'm looking into Radar Contact, but am wondering if there is anything better before I spend any more money.

3) Is there a way to get FSX default ATC to give out speed restrictions during approaches, just like real life?

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by fsxatcisdumb; 08-07-2010 at 11:41 PM.

Yes, LAX is my home airport and I had the same problem. You can use Airport Design Editor to force the ATC to make you land on runway 25L and 24R. And to answer your 3rd question, I dont think there is anything freeware or otherwise that gives out speed restrictions. If there is, I would like to buy it lol.
    Last edited by Bigmikegreene; 08-08-2010 at 01:34 AM.

"Weather"... I set the wind direction in user defined weather/customize to 236deg and the KLAX Active becomes 25R.
    Further testing shows that any wind directions between 180 and 270 at KLAX makes 25R the Active. I quick checked by "go to airport/KLAX/Active".
    ATIS Reports 24L/R and 25L/R in use.
    Though I'm not sure, I think changing the wind direction anywhere would/should alter the active.
    I'm pretty sure you can select a theme and then alter only 1 station. I've tried that before and if I remember correctly it worked OK...Don

Actually I just downloaded ADE 3 days ago and did the same thing with Klax so that I would use the correct runways. Its pretty easy to do it but you need a few things for it to work and it would take a little while to explain. Let me know and I will be glad to help.

See, people really need to search out there before just asking.

There are a few add-ons that do have enhanced ATC, its just knowing where to look.

There is Radar Contact, that offers extra voices and accents along with ATC however, that only supports IFR Flying.

There is also PFE (Pro Flight Emulator) from Aerosoft's site, that also is basically an 'adventure' compiler. You still respond to ATC via the menus that they display.

Again, that one offers new accents, regionally, as well as worldwide. Get the Deluxe version of that one if you're going to go that route, otherwise, you won't have a copy of Pro-Flight 2000 to use as well.....

John Thuot II
    A+/Network+
    Don't forget to visit our modeler's site:
    http://www.dreamscape-studios.com

Checkout my new Facebook Page!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Airpl...05438883035386
    HP Z820 Workstation Intel Xeon 3.30ghz 8 Core Processor 2TB Hard Drive 16 gig of Ram 1125 Power Supply and 2 Gig Nvidia Quadro 4000

One word... vatsim. Real people, real approaches, real altitude and speed constraints.
    Tom - 737-800 F/O
    Win 7 x64, Q9650 @3.5GHz, 4GB DDR2, 500GB + 1TB SATA2, 1GB HD 6870

7. Default

Thanks for the replies guys!

So I'm hearing Vatsim, Radar Contact, and PFE for ATC alternatives. (I'm not sure what "adventure compiler" means though...).

As for Vatsim, doesn't that have to be online? I tried fsx online on my computer once, but it killed my frame rates, so I'm not sure if I want to give it another go.

And how exactly does ADE work? Can it not change the approach patterns as well?

Well I don't know if ADE changes the approach pattern of an airport however you can change the direction of the airports traffic pattern, as well as what runways planes will use for takeoff and landing or landing only or takeoff only.

www.airportdesigneditor.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by fsxatcisdumb View Post

So my questions are:
    1) Can the default ATC be modified to reflect real world approaches? (I recently downloaded Kai Tak scenery, and the person who made it included with it some more coding to enable ATC to reflect the real world approach to Kai Tak's infamous Runway 13, so I'm guessing it's doable, but not sure if it has to be done professionally, line by line).

2) What's the best alternative ATC for FSX? I'm looking into Radar Contact, but am wondering if there is anything better before I spend any more money.

3) Is there a way to get FSX default ATC to give out speed restrictions during approaches, just like real life?

Thanks guys!
    Radar Contact - all the way

If I was only allowed to have ONE single add-on for FSX it would be RC.

Flying with "real world" weather - RC will make your approach compatible with whatever wind direction.
    RC also issues speed restrictions during the descent/approach.

As RTJohnny says, it is for IFR only at the moment but if you're flying into LAX then I guess that would be you anyway

The next version of RC (RC5) will be capable of VFR situations.
    RC5 had been in the "pipeline" since I first purchased RC4 (3 years?) and is still in development.
    My personal advice would be to go with RC4 - well worth the relatively small investment of around 22 (GBP)........and then upgrade to RC5 as and when it appears.

I will.

Ken
    Old enough to know better...
    ...young enough to do most of it again
    Intel Q6600; 4Gb RAM; 9800GT-512Mb; XP-Home-SP3. FSX; REX; GEX; UTX; FSC; RC4; UT2

Flying with "real world" weather - RC will make your approach compatible with whatever wind direction.
    When there is no or calm winds (8 kts or less), which runways are you offered at KLAX using the stock FSX scenery with RC4?

The issue with KLAX is the designation of the primary runways and all things considered, they score higher than the reciprocals (24s and 25s). Under no or calm winds, FSX ATC will activate the primary runways.