Thread: Scenery BLG.file placement question

Default Scenery BLG.file placement question

Hi everyone.
    I have recently taken the time to explore creating some much needed scenery @ 3 of my local airports. Now that it is finished, I need some help and directions on how to share it. This may not be the correct Forum to ask this of...

I used the latest ADE (AirportDesignEditor) v1.47 to change the appearance and layout. I also used items from the scenery libraries of EZScenery & Rwy12. I have everything like I want it now... well almost. Apparently there are some areas of the stock airports which are not able to be changed... or I have not discovered the secret yet. I cannot add scenery items anywhere the ends of the runway at 8A6 (Wilgrove Airpark). In real-life there are trees at the end of RWY.17, and there is a fence, a road and several auto repair garage buildings across from the end of RWY.35. I have spent days trying to figure out how to trick FS9 to display the items. They are showing to be in the BLG.file properties... but they do not show up visually once FS9 is loaded, even thought it builds a new scenery base on startup each time I try to load it. I am stumped!

My other question is this: Now that I have the scenery as finished as I can get it, HOW do I share it with my father on his system? I am running WinXP.Pro 32bit. He is running Win7.Premium 32bit.

Do I just make sure he has the same scenery libraries, and copy the BLG. files to his FS9/Addon Scenery/Scenery folder???

I have the exact same FSG mesh loaded on his system as mine, plus everything (sceneries/textures,etc.) else is the exact same too except for the WinOS, CPU, GPU.

Any ideas anyone can give would be most appreciated. I also want to figure out how to package and upload the scenery to Flightsim.com for everyone else to enjoy too.
    CoolerMaster CenturionTower, AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black-Edition 3.4Ghz, EVGA GeForce GTX 650 1GB, Western-Digital Black-Edition Caviar 1TB SATA3 HDD, 8GB Corsair Xtreme DDR3, ASUS MA489GTD-Pro MB, CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Cooling fan, Dell 24" UltraSharp 1920x1200 Monitor, CHProducts Flight-yoke/rudder-pedals, TrackIR4

Quote Originally Posted by HARDCUB2BEAT View Post
    Hi everyone.
    I have recently taken the time to explore creating some much needed scenery @ 3 of my local airports. Now that it is finished, I need some help and directions on how to share it. This may not be the correct Forum to ask this of...

I used the latest ADE (AirportDesignEditor) v1.47 to change the appearance and layout. I also used items from the scenery libraries of EZScenery & Rwy12. I have everything like I want it now... well almost. Apparently there are some areas of the stock airports which are not able to be changed... or I have not discovered the secret yet. I cannot add scenery items anywhere the ends of the runway at 8A6 (Wilgrove Airpark). In real-life there are trees at the end of RWY.17, and there is a fence, a road and several auto repair garage buildings across from the end of RWY.35. I have spent days trying to figure out how to trick FS9 to display the items. They are showing to be in the BLG.file properties... but they do not show up visually once FS9 is loaded, even thought it builds a new scenery base on startup each time I try to load it. I am stumped!

My other question is this: Now that I have the scenery as finished as I can get it, HOW do I share it with my father on his system? I am running WinXP.Pro 32bit. He is running Win7.Premium 32bit.

Do I just make sure he has the same scenery libraries, and copy the BLG. files to his FS9/Addon Scenery/Scenery folder???

I have the exact same FSG mesh loaded on his system as mine, plus everything (sceneries/textures,etc.) else is the exact same too except for the WinOS, CPU, GPU.

Any ideas anyone can give would be most appreciated. I also want to figure out how to package and upload the scenery to Flightsim.com for everyone else to enjoy too.
    Sounds like a fascinating project.

As to the items not displaying, there may be an "exclude" covering those areas and that is blocking the display of what you have added. I would check that possibility first.

Another thing to check is what "density" you had the items set so they would display. If you had them at "Very Dense" but you have your slider at "Normal" they would not display.

As to sharing with your father - if he has the required object libraries installed properly, your project should display just fine.

I would recommend that you create (both on your system and his) a separate scenery entry - perhaps named Wilgrove Airpark, with a scenery subfolder. Place all related bgl's you create in it - and then place this new folder (Wilgrove Airpark) in your Addon scenery folder and activate (add) it using the Scenery Library dialogue in the usual manner.

IMHO that is much better than just dumping bgls into your Addon scenery/scenery subfolder. It can become clutterred very quickly and it is easy to lose track of what all the bgls are for.

Doing that will also make it easier to share your work later on.

Download a few scenery packages from the library here and study how they are put together. A few screenshots in the package are always a good idea and carefully written doumentation is a must. If the package requires additional files to be downloaded and installed, provide good instructions and links and test them to be sure they work.

Hope these ideas are helpful.
    David "Opa" Marshall

David,

Thank You So Much! I really appreciate your help with this.

I have almost finished the (3) airport sceneries... now I guess I need to test them with Ultimate Terrain USA's road system and see what type of issues arise.

I discovered my troubles @ Wilgrove with the exclusion problem. I had previously installed a "tree removal" file from the Flightsim.com library to get rid of the original misplaced trees located @ the ends of the stock airport runways. Once this was deleted, I was able to "replace" the trees with scenery items.

My main trouble right now is getting the scenery objects to display within the ADE9 Library Object Manager. All of the Rwy12 and EZScenery items install & process within ADE9 with NO thumbnails, which means I have been having to place/test each item within FS9... then go back and select the correct thumbnail from the Rwy12 Image files and save it into the ADE9 system. Otherwise I have no idea which item I am working with because the numbers are all out of numerical sequence in most cases. It has been quite the hassle. I know there has to be a simpler way to do this.

I hope to finish testing by Monday. Hopefully by then I will be ready to package them and upload them to the Flightsim.com Library for everyone to enjoy.

My only other problem looks like the AI flight plans for each airport. I do not understand "how" to write the flightplans for the local GA traffic using the airports for their training circuits, etc. which are based @ the airports in real life. I guess will be my next excursion. Ha!

This has been fun. I have discovered that I enjoy the challenge of designing airports and scenery layouts.

Thanks again for your help. It was invaluable!
    Glenn Mullis
    CoolerMaster CenturionTower, AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black-Edition 3.4Ghz, EVGA GeForce GTX 650 1GB, Western-Digital Black-Edition Caviar 1TB SATA3 HDD, 8GB Corsair Xtreme DDR3, ASUS MA489GTD-Pro MB, CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Cooling fan, Dell 24" UltraSharp 1920x1200 Monitor, CHProducts Flight-yoke/rudder-pedals, TrackIR4

RE: Your Flightplan question:

A basic understanding of Flightplans and Traffic files is essential.

This excellent Tutorial "AI Made Easy" by Mike Stanton will prove valuable in that regard:

http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=99920

Once you are familiar with the basics, I recommend using a free utility such as AI Flight Planner by Don Grovestine to create the actual flightplans and Traffic files. You can get the latest version of that fine program here:

http://members.shaw.ca/aifp/

I am not familiar enough with the ADE9X program to offer advice regarding the thumbnails for object placement - but you might check out this file which has a complete set of RWY12 thumbnails:

Name: isthum12.zip Size: 1,658,742 Date: 06-02-2007 Downloads: 759 FS2004 Instant Scenery Thumbnails for Rwy12 scenery object libraries. This archive contains thumbnails of Rwy12 libraries for the commercial Instant Scenery program by Flight1.By John Grahn.

Perhaps it is useable.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by opaplano; 08-13-2010 at 06:26 AM.
    David "Opa" Marshall