Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cloud texture issues in FSX

1. Default Cloud texture issues in FSX

Good morning, FS community.
    I have been running FSX for years. About 6 months ago, I had to reinstall FSX w/Acceleration and everything had been working great until a couple weeks ago.

All of a sudden recently, I have horrible cloud problems. The only changes I have made that I can recall is to install SquawkBox for VATSIM. Now my beautiful textured clouds are square/polygon blocks and look horrible. (See screenshot)

http://www.saintroad.com/fsxclouds.BMP

System:
    Athlon II X3 720BE @ 3.2Ghz.
    Geforce 9800 GTX+ w/latest NVIDIA drivers. (7/17/10 drivers)
    Viewsonic 37" HDMI monitor
    Saitek Yoke, Rudder, Throttle & Radio Stack hardware.
    OCZ 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM
    Windows XP SP2

Any ideas or recommendations?
    Thanks,
    Andy
    Last edited by saintroad; 07-25-2010 at 11:48 AM.

I assume the latest video driver you installed after you experienced this problem?
    MSI P55-CD53, Intel i7-860-3.7Ghz, NVida GeForce 560 - 1GB, 4GB SDRAM DDR3 1333, WD 750GB-7200rpm-32MB, Windows 7-64 bit
    Acer 23"WS LCD and Benq 19" LCD, CH yoke and pedals, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, TrackIR 5, FSX Deluxe w/Acceleration, UTX-USA, GEX, ASE, WOAI, ADE, FSDS

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Art_P View Post
    I assume the latest video driver you installed after you experienced this problem?
    Yes. I wanted to ensure that my drivers didn't need to be upgraded for some strange reason. Same problem with original drivers and new on the NVIDIA side.

Thanks.

Persistent square polygons usually intimate missing or corrupted textures - looks like your cloud texture files are corrupted.

You don't mention if you are using an addon for clouds but if you are, you need to reinstall a different or backe-up set, if you aren't then a repair install of FSX is required, assuming you haven't taken the advice to hold a complete, vanilla, install of FSX on a spare drive.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by simonevans View Post
    Persistent square polygons usually intimate missing or corrupted textures - looks like your cloud texture files are corrupted.

You don't mention if you are using an addon for clouds but if you are, you need to reinstall a different or backe-up set, if you aren't then a repair install of FSX is required, assuming you haven't taken the advice to hold a complete, vanilla, install of FSX on a spare drive.
    Is there no way to restore w/o a complete re-installation? I have never given the advice of installing on another drive, but I guess I will try that. Any 3rd party apps for FSX that would fix this?

Here is my suggestion to you from our forum saintroad:

You are using 2048HD clouds in REX, I suggest for testing purposes, change the cloud size to 512 in the REX interface OPTIONS manager, and make certain to reload the textures in the THEME creation area.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by timest View Post
    Here is my suggestion to you from our forum saintroad:

You are using 2048HD clouds in REX, I suggest for testing purposes, change the cloud size to 512 in the REX interface OPTIONS manager, and make certain to reload the textures in the THEME creation area.
    I removed REX, so no worries there. I am not going back to it. I just want my original clouds in FSX. I don't think that is too much to ask.

Thanks.

Well ok then, so much for trying to help.

But just so you know, check your thread in our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by saintroad View Post
    I removed REX, so no worries there. I am not going back to it. I just want my original clouds in FSX. I don't think that is too much to ask.
    If you removed REX, maybe that's where the problem occurred. Perhaps the original textures have not been restored.
    MSI P55-CD53, Intel i7-860-3.7Ghz, NVida GeForce 560 - 1GB, 4GB SDRAM DDR3 1333, WD 750GB-7200rpm-32MB, Windows 7-64 bit
    Acer 23"WS LCD and Benq 19" LCD, CH yoke and pedals, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, TrackIR 5, FSX Deluxe w/Acceleration, UTX-USA, GEX, ASE, WOAI, ADE, FSDS

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Art_P View Post
    If you removed REX, maybe that's where the problem occurred. Perhaps the original textures have not been restored.
    I cannot stand programmers who don't restore the original files to parent programs that they modify upon their installation. Bad programming. And to boot, you have to manually delete the directories to completely un-install the program.

Sloppy.

Now I have FSX that doesn't run properly.
    Nice work, REX.