Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Any Motorola SM56 Users Here .........

Boeing_747 Guest

Default Any Motorola SM56 Users Here .........

Anyone here is using a Motorola SM56 modem ? I really got problems here, and I mean it is really beginning to piss me off in FS......... specially in FS............
    Well the problem is my modem disconnecting...................
    I use an internal modem. I think its the Motorola SM56 PCI version. I didn't have these problems at first when I bought my comp but it has been arising for the last 4-5 months and I can't stand it! After I connect to the internet and use the modem for around 1-2 hrs the modem just disconnects by itself. Its like the modem disconnects when I load us programs that use lots of memory. So, if I connect and then start fs, the modem disconnects or just drops from 56000 to 31200 ....... and goes on decrease, and even sometimes reaches to 24000 bps. The part I hate the most is when I fly in IVAO , VATSIM or MP, it disconnects. If I want to plan a flight online, I have to log off internet and open fs , plan the flight, start the gate, and then connect to the internet, otherwise if I connect before that, then the connection probably drops to a less bps. Even in flight, I always have to use the cockpit view. Cause, going to spot view takes sometime to load, and that makes the connection slow. After that I completely have to restart. Otherwise, once disconnected by that problem I can reconnect but the modem does not receive at all. I have 2 ISP connections and both are the same. So, to the people out there, please help me on this one, this is the post I really want some help if u can......... I love flying online, but this just disables me from flying online. This has been happening to me for about 5 months so I finally decided I had to step up and solve it.........
    Safe flying :-sleepy
    Cheers :-wave

Jerry Guest

Default RE: Any Motorola SM56 Users Here .........

I saw a similar post and someone suggested that it could be getting hot and suggested that you look into a new fan. What I would do if I were in your case is change out the modem. Heck modems are so cheap these days that worse case scenario you would be out a few bucks but that would rule out a hardware issue with your modem.

If you are familiar with PC hardware you might also swap slots that your modem is currently in to another available slot. While it is a long shot it is worth a try. But I believe if it didn't cure the problem I would try a new modem.

I hope this helps.

Whoa... Someone who uses a modem... like me! :-) (Instead of cable or broadband)

I am using the Motorola SM56 modem also. I haven't played Flight Simulator online much. I never went to VATSIM, never joined a VA, but went to the MSN Gaming Zone quite a few times. Since I always connected to the Internet before launching the game, I haven't had any problems with it. My modem always connects at either 53.2 kbps or 54.6 kbps, and disconnects only when the time reaches my ISP's session time limit of five hours. What can I do to help you?

http://www.flightsim.com/dcforum/Use...a14dff4a40.gif

Boeing_747 Guest

Hi Kitty,
    Finally someone who uses an SM56 modem. Anyway , I usually connect around 54666 bps that I thnk is 54.6k. My ISP has no time limits, its just my modem that has the problem. I didn't had this problems before. But, now it has been arising and its really frustating. I have COM2 setting , in the SM56 and COM3 is used for mouse. Any ideas why this could be happening ? As I said, if I load big software programs, then the modem disconnects or just goes to a lower bps, and usually most of the time disconnects. If I use it normal it just disconnects around 1-2hrs and after that even if I do reconnect It does not receive so I have to restart my comp.
    Waiting for some replies....... hehehe
    Safe flying ! :-wave

bump

Boeing_747 Guest

Update : As far as I can bring back my memories, I think this started happening from the time I added 256 MB RAM. Now I got 320 M.B. Could that be the problem ?

Hi,
    Well to test that theory, remove the added RAM and see if the problems go away.

If it does, then perhaps you have "overmaxxed" your memory, I.E>
    some motherboards only allow a certain amount of RAM. Just a thought. I have been told that doing that can slow the system down. My old machine has 2 slots and will max out at 256MB. (2X128)They said if I were to add 2 256's in there it would cause problems because the motherboard would just not use anything over 256.
    Sorry for rambling on, but maybe just another thought.
    Take care my friend, Gary Rabbitt

Boeing_747 Guest

Hi Gary,
    A very good thought. Yes, my mother board only has 2 memory slots. I have installed a 256 MB and a 64 that makes a total of 320 mb ram, but on startup it says Memory Upgrade ok ! I've had no other problems, on my windows it shows 320 MB RAM. How is the fsplanet forum going ? I have stopped visiting there ....... U really did help a lot there. Anyway , waiting for some comments.
    Cya
    Safe flight :-sleepy

Hmmm... I think this is a problem out of my capabilities to solve... Sorry! Better ask other experts :-)

http://www.flightsim.com/dcforum/Use...a14dff4a40.gif

glenngilfillan Guest

Mine Does That Too!!!! Its Most Likely Your ISP!!!
    Im With Freeserve (Which are a load of S**t) and they dissconnect every 2 hours :-mad
    Gets on my nerves too! i have to do the same thing with fs....
    :-mad

Glenn