Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FS9 Weather Enhancement

Default FS9 Weather Enhancement

Hi Folks; For years now I've been using FS9 default weather options by selecting type of clouds (ie cumulous, stratus, etc), TOPS & BASE, etc. To this point, and I've been fltsimming for over 20+ years, way back to the days of Commodore 64, this has been my routine. However, I think it's about time I graduated to "real weather situations". I know, I've probably missed a lot of realism with my comfortable way of flying over the years, but that was my choice.

At this time, I feel it's time to explore the available options that are out there, either payware or freeware. Over the years I've seen many comments about ActiveSky and numerous other weather enhancements, but never paid much attention since they didn't apply to me.

So, I'm soliciting any comments, suggestions and possibly a consensus as to what might be a suitable add-on for more realistic weather in FS9

Thanks for any advice,

Paul

Our ASv6.5 is still for sale and is pretty simple to set up and get started with. And you get Active Sky Graphics along with the weather program. Right now there is even a Summer Sale going on!

You also have a real weather option within FS9, and it updates evry 15 minutes.
    I also started by using default weather, although I started with FS9 just 8 months ago, and within the last month I have been using real weather updates, there is quite a difference.
    Have downloaded Activesky but not installed it yet so couldn't help you there.
    Good luck
    ANNBER

computer specs not worth mentioning just yet.

Get ActiveSky. You wont be disappointed.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I did try the real weather feature within FS9 yesterday and it seemed OK for a start; however, I havn't used the option that updates every 15 min. Will give that a go today. Got to remember to hit the "B" key to maintain the proper barometric pressure during climbout & descent, otherwise I keep getting "zinged" for not maintaining proper altitude.

I'll also be checking out ActiveSky as a possible alternative.

Thanks again,

Paul

I forgot to mention that I have the Flight Environment add-on by Flight1 software installed on my system which allows for numerous options to the sky, clouds, water, etc. Would this be compatible with ActiveSky?

Thanks,

Paul

Hi,

Yes, if you purchased ASv6.5, then you just wouldn't use ASG.

Real Environment Xtreme is an excellent program to use for both FSX and FS9. It comes with a real world weather engine, weather radar, very realistic airport, sky, cloud textures and all sorts of other goodies.

www.realenvironmentxtreme.com

It also has top-of-the-line support =D

Thanks
    Cody
    -Cody DeWolfe

Thanks for the additional info and suggestions, looks like I'll have some decisions to make.

Paul

10. Default

Hi Paul

Here is a free wx program (FSMetar) that you may want to play with:
    FSMetar provides real world wx for free.

http://personal.telefonica.terra.es/web/fsmetar/

Also read this thread how you can manipulate the wx when using FSMetar to fly in the past.

http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=274086&hl=

A big thanks to Jim Robinson for creating an archive of real world wx found here:

http://www.cat-tamer.com/flightsim/metar/

RJ