Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FSX and Widescreen monitor

Default FSX and Widescreen monitor

Hi everybody
    I've just updated my 17'' monitor ( 4 x 3) to a 20'' with a resolution of 1600 x 900.
    (16 x 9). I have ammended the fsx cfg to WideViewAspect = True.
    Can anyone offer me advice on what to set the FSX full screen resolution so that
    panel instruments do'nt appear oval'
    My graphics card is an ATI Radeon HD 4770 and I have an Intel Core2 Duo processor

Regards HD

2. Default

The resolution selected within FSX does not necessarily need to be the same as the monitors resolution, although the higher the better, obviously. Try several selections in FSX to see if one works better proportunately than another. You could also set up a picture for the wallpaper in windows that would show if the aspect ratio looks correct. That will probably not be the top resolution the monitor is capable of, but selectinng a narrower aspect ratio width to hight is what makes the guages stretch wider.

In settings for the monitor in windows, I think the graphic for the monitor will change aspect to match the selection, and should look like the aspect ratio of the monitor physically.

Hope this makes sense.

Jim

3. Default

I am running my resolution at 1920X1200 and have Wide Aspect set to False and everything appear fine on my end.

There are conflicting articles whether or not this should be set to true when you have a wide screen. I set mine to false, but your results may vary, so try them both out.

Regarding FS resolution, it is recommended that you set it to the same resolution as your desktop.

Hope this helps,

VATSIM: P2 | I1

The problem with widescreen monitors and panels is that most panels have been developed for the traditional 4:3 aspect ratio. When the sim stretches them to fit on a widescreen monitor, circular gauges become slightly oval shaped. To some, the oval shape really stands out while others barely notice.

One solution is to use the VC as 3D cockpits are rendered at the correct resolution and proportions for the different aspect ratio. Another is to look for proper widescreen 2D panels which some developers have started creating over the past couple of years.

This is very simple. Set your full-screen resolution to 1600x900, which is what your monitor does. That's it.

Don't try to solve the wrong problem. The 2D panels are designed for 4:3 screens. If you mess about with spurious resolutions until they do not appear stretched, everything else (menus, out-of-the window views) will appear squashed.

Your 'fullscreen resolution' setting in FSX has nothing to do with your Windows desktop. However, it will normally be the same as your monitor will look best in its native resolution. The WideViewAspect flag is irrelevant.

If you want to use the 2D panels you will have to (a) accept that they are designed for 4:3 screens and will be stretched, (b) just resize them by dragging the edges until they're not stretched, or (c) find new panels that someone has rebuilt for widescreen modes.
    Last edited by Mark Hurst; 04-23-2010 at 03:13 AM.

6. Question Widescreen monitor...oval instruments?

Quote Originally Posted by CXA001 View Post
    I am running my resolution at 1920X1200 and have Wide Aspect set to False and everything appear fine on my end.

There are conflicting articles whether or not this should be set to true when you have a wide screen. I set mine to false, but your results may vary, so try them both out.

Regarding FS resolution, it is recommended that you set it to the same resolution as your desktop.

Hope this helps,
    Im worried by this thread! I'm just about to (was?) invest in a new widescreen monitor, and thought from everything I've read that all I'll have to do is match windows/FSX resolution to the monitor's native resoltion, set WideScreenAspect to TRUE...and everything's fine!

I note you've kept WideScreenAspect to FALSE. Are your 2d panel instruments round or oval? Or can you only use Virtual Cockpit for instruments to appear round?

Thanks for any further advice,

Don
    system: i5 o/c to 4Ghz;4GB corsair ram;GeForce 275;300GB VelociRaptor; 500GB Seagate; W7 64bit

7. Default

I have my FSX resolution the same as my Windows resolution, Wide Aspect set to false and all my gauges are round in both 2D & 3D panels.

VATSIM: P2 | I1

As the zoom settings adapt according to a vertical or horizontal relative relationship depending on this setting according to the calculation:-

If WideViewAspect=FALSE
    Horizontal FOV = (34.0) / (zoom factor)
    Vertical FOV = (Horizontal FOV) * (view height / view width)

If WideViewAspect=TRUE
    Vertical FOV = (34.0) / (zoom factor)
    Horizontal FOV = (Vertical FOV) * (view width / view height)

Zoom is a proportional representation so it's obviously NOT the same viewpoint at 0.60x in TRUE as it is when FALSE.

For simplicity's sake, the connection can be thought of as follows:
    TRUE = three clicks IN from default takes you to default FALSE
    FALSE = three clicks OUT from default takes you to default TRUE

You can see that the choice of wide or not is not relevant to whether the panels appear oval or not, only the screen `real estate` on which they are displayed (2d only, of course).

There is no way out. See what Mark Hurst wrote - he is right.
    2D panels are constructed upon a fixed resolution picture. Most bmp maps use a resolution of 1024 x 768 pixels, which is 4:3 ratio, included in all FSX default panels.
    Since I bought my Widescreen monitor one year ago, which runs 2048 x 1152 (16:9 ratio) I've been modifying my favorite 2D panels in order to have the full use of widescreen and round gages. Two of them (737 and Goose) were uploaded to flightsim library.
    There is always pros and cons, so if you like to fly with 2D panels, this is something to consider.

Luiz Alvarenga

10. Default Widescreen...oval instruments?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hurst View Post
    This is very simple. Set your full-screen resolution to 1600x900, which is what your monitor does. That's it.

Don't try to solve the wrong problem. The 2D panels are designed for 4:3 screens. If you mess about with spurious resolutions until they do not appear stretched, everything else (menus, out-of-the window views) will appear squashed.

Your 'fullscreen resolution' setting in FSX has nothing to do with your Windows desktop. However, it will normally be the same as your monitor will look best in its native resolution. The WideViewAspect flag is irrelevant.

If you want to use the 2D panels you will have to (a) accept that they are designed for 4:3 screens and will be stretched, (b) just resize them by dragging the edges until they're not stretched, or (c) find new panels that someone has rebuilt for widescreen modes.
    That's a bummer! I was just about to invest in a nice new widescreen - 16/9 - monitor, and was assuming that all i need to do is set WideScreenAspect to TRUE, match windows/desktop/monitor to 1920:1080, then all my instruments would be nice and round. Apparently not so. If I re-size the screen I might just as well stick with my 4:3 monitor; and I'm not really keen on finding and installing panels specially designed for widescreen.

Someone else said in this thread that they set their desktop/monitor resolution to 16/9 ratio, WideScreenAspect to False and everything was fine...does that mean that 2d instuments were round, or oval with only VC instruments round?

Help please,

Don
    system: i5 o/c to 4Ghz;4GB corsair ram;GeForce 275;300GB VelociRaptor; 500GB Seagate; W7 64bit