Thread: Captain Sim 757 - GPS

1. Exclamation Captain Sim 757 - GPS

People may moan at me for this, but I want to add the default GPS to the panel in the Captain Sim 757. I'm not the most technologically knowledged when it comes to aircraft systems and it would make life much easier if the existing panel also had the default GPS, please could someone explain to me how I could add it on?

Many Thanks

2. Default

In most cases, adding a GPS pop-up is easy, and a non-issue. And I'm sure it can be done to the CS 757.

Problems might arise though, in how it all ties together. I don't think the instrument/inertial-alignment would get in the way.. but I'd be worried about getting the autopilot to function with the default GPS.. and not conflict with the FMS.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Brett_Henderson View Post
    In most cases, adding a GPS pop-up is easy, and a non-issue. And I'm sure it can be done to the CS 757.

Problems might arise though, in how it all ties together. I don't think the instrument/inertial-alignment would get in the way.. but I'd be worried about getting the autopilot to function with the default GPS.. and not conflict with the FMS.
    Hmm.. It's worth a try, how do I add on the GPS to the panel then?

Thanks

4. Default

I'm away from my simming computer..

It's done in the panel.cfg ... search "adding a gps".. or I'm sure someone will post soon.

Also.. a Nav/GPS switch will be needed.. since you have no access to the interior model source file.. you'll have to either replace an existing VC gauge.. or add a pop-up for that switch.

Who knows.. the button that selects the FMS as a nav-source just might serve the purpose (I doubt it).. though that might involve completely removing the FMS..

ANYway .. keep us posted.. this will be interesting..

Aslo.. I'm sure this has been discussed at the CS forums..

Blog Entries

There's probably no way to get the GPS to drive the nav displays or autopilot in the 757, but I don't have it so it may be possible. You certainly can't get it to appear in the VC, not unless you really know what you're doing.

However, what you can do is get it to pop up in 2D.
    1) Navigate to [wherever you installed FSX]\Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\[CS757 or whatever the folder is called]\panel\.

2) Open the panel.cfg file in notepad. Look at the top and there will be a section that looks something like this:

Code:
    [Window Titles]
    Window00=Main Panel
    window01=Radio Stack
    Window02=GPS
    window03=Throttle Quadrant
    window04=Overhead Panel
    window05=Clock
    window06=Mini Panel
    Take a note of the last numbered window, in this case 06.

3) Scroll down until you get to the section that starts:

Code:
    [VCockpit01]
    4) JUST ABOVE that line, insert the following code:
    Code:
    [WindowXX]
    size_mm=456,378
    window_size=0.5
    position=8
    BACKGROUND_COLOR=0,0,0
    VISIBLE=0
    ident=GPS_PANEL
    gauge00=fs9gps!gps_500,0,0
    And then in the bit at the top where I've written 'XX', replace that with the number after the last one you looked at before, in step 2. So, in our example, you'd put '07'.

Do that and you should be set - the GPS will be available as a popup!

Any questions?
    I fly through the valley of death, but I fear no evil,for I am at 80,000 feet and climbing. Let's powerdive and scare that poor soul in that Ultralight there.

Going to get yelled at for responding to an old thread!