Thread: FSX Autopilot Question

Default FSX Autopilot Question

OK, here might be the ultimate silly autopilot question; I know how to set the "altitude hold" function so that the AP will hold current altitude (Ctrl-Z)...How do I set the AP so that, after takeoff, I can activate the AP and have it take the aircraft to the pre-set altitude and hold it there? Again, I apologize for the question, and I might be experiencing a senior moment, but I will appreciate the help,,,Thanks,

Steve in Kansas

Quote Originally Posted by LTCSZ View Post
    OK, here might be the ultimate silly autopilot question; I know how to set the "altitude hold" function so that the AP will hold current altitude (Ctrl-Z)...How do I set the AP so that, after takeoff, I can activate the AP and have it take the aircraft to the pre-set altitude and hold it there? Again, I apologize for the question, and I might be experiencing a senior moment, but I will appreciate the help,,,Thanks,

Steve in Kansas
    Z is the awnser to your question.

Default Huh?

I still don't get it..."Z" turns on the AP, "Ctrl-Z" sets the current altitude, but what sets the climb capability to the desired altitude so I can set it and forget it after takeoff? Sorry to be so numb and thanks for your patience...Maybe a step-by-step would make it a bit clearer...Thanks again,

Steve

Well "Z" will certainly turn on your autopilot but to climb to a preset altitude and hold it will take a little more than that.

(1) use your radio stack and preset any altitude that you would like to go to. Turn on ALT and use the up button to set the altitude. You will have to turn on the autopilot to do this.

(2) If you have a panel autopilot you can adjust the preset at any time using that.

In my case, I use the key press to hold the current altitude and click on the autopilot ALT button in the virtual cockpit to have the autopilot take the airplane to a set altitude.
    MSI P55-CD53, Intel i7-860-3.7Ghz, NVida GeForce 560 - 1GB, 4GB SDRAM DDR3 1333, WD 750GB-7200rpm-32MB, Windows 7-64 bit
    Acer 23"WS LCD and Benq 19" LCD, CH yoke and pedals, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, TrackIR 5, FSX Deluxe w/Acceleration, UTX-USA, GEX, ASE, WOAI, ADE, FSDS