Default Can I run FS2004 on Windows 7 - 64

Hi guys, i just purchase the following computer:

Gateway
    Windows 7 64-bit
    ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024MB
    Intel Core i5 processor 750
    8 GB DDR3
    1TB HDD

After expend over 1000 dollars on this machine im had the suprise that FSX run like crap with normal setting, so i want to install FS2004, can anyone tell me if this will run properly i really need help for this is getting frustrared, please let me know thanks.
    Gateway DX4831-07
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    Intel Core i5 750 processor
    ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024MB, 8GB DDR3

Default you definetely can.

YES YOU CAN. I have a similar rig, win 7-64, 12 gigs ram I7 cpu, radeon 5870 1 gig vram. 2004 and fsx. they run very nicely. the visuals are really stunning and yes all settings both in catalist and the sim are at max. also keep in mind that I use a 1080 32" toshiba tv and my catlyst is set to HD. I play fs2004 most of the time cause I just dont like fsx as much, fs2004 gets me anywhere from 55 to 130 FPS in clear to normal clouds and 20-45 in heavy clouds, keep in mind that I have REX and the highest resolution textures and clouds installed.
    I suggest you read the tread below about "clouds and low fps however regarding new video cards and and flight sims. it will clarify lots.
    happy flying

thanks for ur answer, im like u im planning to use more FS2004, i dont like FSX that much yet, but i notice some things like EditVoice pack dont get installed and also WorldOfAi, is there anything to make sure all this little programs run on my 64bit pc, please let me know thanks.
    Gateway DX4831-07

Default FS9 in Win 7

Another yes yes yes. I have the Gateway and it runs like a dream. No problems. With all the sliders all the way over, I'm getting 50-60 fps. Enjoy it.

Stan

I highly recommend do not accept the default FS install path of Program Files and so forth. Any application that installs on any drive in any folder down a path from Program Files gets usually into security problems when add-on applications attempt to communicate with it under Windows 7 (or VISTA 64 for that matter). Applications installed in a Program Files tree get "extra" protection to avoid security infiltration. Unfortunately for FS that gets in the way of add-on programs communication with it and its parts including some Windows internal messaging schemes.

Do not install add-ons in a Program files tree either.

If you only have one logical drive letter C: for example just install it in C:/FS9/ for the folder. You'll end up with C:/FS9/fs9.exe, C:/FS9/Aircraft/ . . . and so forth.
    KMSP - Minnesota: Land of 10,000 Puddles
    Support Team

Default Wi

Absolutely correct Ronzie. Should have mentioned it. I have FS installed in a folder called FS2004
    Stan

sorry im so new on this, can u help me out a little bit step by step with this new procedure, for example i download today a new B737-300 from SGA lets say, now i have it on my desktop ready to install it, what should i do?

please let me know and sorry for all this questions
    Gateway DX4831-07

Default installing new aircraft

There must be an installation file with the aircraft in your download instructions. Basically installing an aircraft is very simple. Just unzip it into your "Aircraft" folder in Flight Sim and everything will go into its right place. But before you do this, read the installation instructions in case there are some special things to do.
    Stan

9. Default

there should be a readme file giving you step-by-step instructions on how to install the aircraft. normally you'd copy the rar or winzip output folder to your FS9 aircraft folder, then guages into FS9's guages folder, sounds into FS9's sounds folder etc.

if there's no readme file and/or you are unable to figure this out, let us know the file you downloaded so we can provide the instructions on how to install this particular aircraft.

EDIT: Stan turned out to be a lot quicker
    Last edited by vanzanten; 03-28-2010 at 01:07 PM.
    I enjoy Airbus. I hope we can still be friends...

Lightbulb Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by ronzie View Post
    I highly recommend do not accept the default FS install path of Program Files and so forth. Any application that installs on any drive in any folder down a path from Program Files gets usually into security problems when add-on applications attempt to communicate with it under Windows 7 (or VISTA 64 for that matter). Applications installed in a Program Files tree get "extra" protection to avoid security infiltration. Unfortunately for FS that gets in the way of add-on programs communication with it and its parts including some Windows internal messaging schemes.

Do not install add-ons in a Program files tree either.

If you only have one logical drive letter C: for example just install it in C:/FS9/ for the folder. You'll end up with C:/FS9/fs9.exe, C:/FS9/Aircraft/ . . . and so forth.
    Thanks Ronzie,

I did not know that! I recently got a new computer with Windows 7-64 and assumed loading FS was the same as in earlier versions, like XP, where the path was through C:\ ..\User Name\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9.

Now, some things are beginning to make sense.
    I have FS 9 and FSX loaded in the ..Program Files (86x).. path and have have been getting some wierd results. For instance, When I open FS 9 from the desktop icon everthing opens OK. However, if I right click and "Open as Administrator" I'm missing some add-on scenery even though everything is loaded in the Program Files (86x), which I also assumed is the administrator path.

I guess I've done a lot of assuming!

Can I simply move everything to a new folder such as C:\FS 9 without loosing scenery files and add-ons or will it take a reinstall of some programs or everything?
    Herk
    Acer Predator AG3620-UR308, 3rd Gen. Intel Core i7-3770 processor 3.4GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 Technology up to 3.9GHz (8MB Cache), NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 SC (2GB), 2 TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, 12GB DDR3 SDRAM, Windows 8