Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ORBX - Next Generation Scenery

Default ORBX - Next Generation Scenery

Hi,

I have just discovered, at 1130pm, the ORBX website and the scenery they currently have out and are releasing shortly. I am astounded and gobsmacked at the prospect of using these add ons.

http://fullterrain.com/ See for yourself.

My question is this: Has anyone installed any of this stuff and if so, tell me the answer is no, but does it have any drastic effects on frame rates. The scenery is stunning and I have to say, if it does what it says on the tin and my machine struggles to run it then I am afraid a remortgage is in order to buy the latest and fastest machine on the planet to experience this stuff. The Pacific North West looks absolutely superb and I am wetting myself at the prospect of flying around this magnificent part of the world.

The demo video looks awesome! Someone please confirm that this stuff runs as well as it looks. Sorry for being hyper here guys but this looks the dogs and is what I have been waiting for for 20 years!

EdmundV

Check the freeware section for an AU blue demo see if that hits your frame rates at all. Apart from that wait till someone else says something definitive.

Peerhoven VA Site : http://peerhovenair.webs.com/

Like stated above download the demo and see for yourself. I have the demo for Tazmania and it runs very smooth for me. Make sure and do a little flying around the area before u install the demo. Then u can see the drastic difference it makes. I downloaded there HD textures for the Carenado 182RG and flew it with the demo scenery and I was blown away.

FTX/ORBx/Aussiex.... Some of,if not THE finest add-on scenery ever! I use all the freeware stuff,the full on AU Blue (not the demo) and I just purchased the soon to be released PNW NA Blue that I will be doing screens from later on this week.I dont have any frame rate problems with any of their packages and I highly reccommend their products along with REX

They ara one of the best.

Blog Entries

1. Their airport sceneries ARE, without close competition, simply the best.

2. Their area sceneries are laughable and not worth the money. When in outlying areas the scenery looks no better than stock.

I disagree with those saying Orbx sceneries are some of the best, they are without a doubt the best. I used to fly big-iron exclusively because low and slow GA flying got boring quick, the stock FSX scenery is terrible for it. Now GA flying is pretty much all I do (ugh, that sounded like a corny testimonial). I don't have many of their payware airport releases though, their freeware airports and the hundreds of OZx freeware airports offer more than enough choice. The long and the short of it is I wouldn't use FSX without their region packs anymore. Frame rates occasionally get a bit low but it's the exception rather than the rule.

Probably the best way to go would be to download the AU Blue Tasmania demo and YMLT Launceston from the freeware section of the Orbx website. They'll give you a good idea of what you're in for if you buy their scenery packages. Have a look at the screenshot boards on the Orbx forums to see what you're missing out on. There's also plenty of YouTube videos if you search for them.

Mike
    Intel Core i5 3570K - NZXT Havik 140 - ASUS P8Z77-V PRO - 16GB DDR3 2133 G.Skill Ares CL9 - Sapphire AMD 7970 3GB @ 1100/1500MHz - SanDisk Extreme 240GB - Samsung F1 750GB - Samsung F3 2TB - SilverStone FT02 - SilverStone Strider Plus 750W - Dell U2312HM - Windows 7 Professional 64-bit - CH Combatstick 568

Quote Originally Posted by tigisfat View Post
    2. Their area sceneries are laughable and not worth the money. When in outlying areas the scenery looks no better than stock.
    Them's fightin' words! Here's a couple of shots I just whipped up.

BEFORE

AFTER

I think that's a pretty darn amazing improvement for an outlying area. And those shots are in Orbx's Tasmania scenery which they give you for free on their website.

Mike
    Intel Core i5 3570K - NZXT Havik 140 - ASUS P8Z77-V PRO - 16GB DDR3 2133 G.Skill Ares CL9 - Sapphire AMD 7970 3GB @ 1100/1500MHz - SanDisk Extreme 240GB - Samsung F1 750GB - Samsung F3 2TB - SilverStone FT02 - SilverStone Strider Plus 750W - Dell U2312HM - Windows 7 Professional 64-bit - CH Combatstick 568

i love orbx ftx and i only fly in australia because of ftx.

the only thing my eyes don't like is the transitions between forrest and farmland. it is blocky - i guess it sometimes would look like that in reality, but still.

Kristian R.

YMML is a bit of a frame hog (for the tube flyers), but otherwise they are pretty good (considering some of their airports use 7cm textures). They have annouced that they will shortly be releasing a trenche of updates containing "new technology" that will give a large boost to framerates. You only have to spend a few minutes in the screenshots forum here, and you will see lots of examples of their work.

Tigisfat, I think, must be blind if he thinks their area sceneries are no better than default.

Now with extra BLOGiness!