Thread: Mach 4 in FSX?

Default Mach 4 in FSX?

Just wonder if anyone has (any type) aircraft flying at Mach 4 in FSX.
    CB
    Napamule

Quote Originally Posted by napamule2 View Post
    Just wonder if anyone has (any type) aircraft flying at Mach 4 in FSX.
    CB
    Napamule
    I downloaded this one Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-29 Fulcrum from fs-freeware.net, and it went pretty fast. The real MiG-29 can exceed Mach 2.2, but this virtual fulcrum was a little bit better. The highest airspeed I had achieved was ~3000 KIAS, at an altitude of 400 ft. That should have destroyed the aircraft well before reaching that speed, but fortunately I had my realism settings changed for that test That's a pretty good deal above Mach 4, and is almost considered hypersonic. Better yet, it went from 0-3000 in a matter of about 3 minutes I pulled a massive G+ climb up to 500,000ft. altitude soon after - my poor little jet never came back

Realistic? No (The only hypersonic aircraft that we know about are NASA scramjet prototypes, other than Space Shuttles ! Keep your mind open for conspiracy though )

Fun? Very

If you were wondering if near-hypersonic flight is possible in FSX, then yes

Blog Entries

Default which mach?

If I'm flying an indicated 1200kts at an altitude where mach has dropped to 300 then I probably have.

I suspect that you are asking about mach when it's in the 700+ range down near sea level and I'd have to be doing 2800+....

No.
    How fast do the Blackbirds go "at altitude"...?

Loyd
    Hooked since FS4... now flying: FSX Acceleration on Win7/64, Core Duo E8400; GA-EP45-DS3R; GTX 460-768MB; 4G RAM; Freezer 7 Pro

Default Yes and No?

I want PROOF! Hehe. But it is the limitations 'imposed' by Acceleration that I am looking at and suspecting (but can't prove). I hoped someone had 'evidence' of such. But maybe no one 'noticed'? Seems like it depends on the air file you use. Dumb but true? Need hex edits, I guess. I wish I was smarter (hehe).

dglove,
    I got the MiG-29 Fulcrum from fs-freeware.net and it is freezing FSX with 'msvcr80.dll' error. So no go with that (port over(?) jobbie.

Loyd,
    I guess you mean M 3.00 and M7.00. Well, I can't even get M4.60 (yet). Speed of 2000 kts at sea level? Yes. But then I can't land (Concorde) as it only slows to 218 kts! I land, but with lots of smoke and almost rolling over (plus flattened fences at end of runway-ha). I need to reduce static thrust I guess. When I get it right I will put FDE's in Blackbird and let you know. (Mach 4.65 at FL 500? Yeah..that's the ticket..)

Nice part is I get 8 hrs and 6,000 nmi range. How? I could tell you, but..... . (Just kidding. Fuel Flow rate and fuel gain values reversed. Just playing around).

(And how come your post count is so low? You've been here since 199X? Or when?)
    CB
    Napamule
    Last edited by napamule2; 02-22-2010 at 03:52 AM. Reason: add

There is the X-15 which goes at Mach 6.7, but I don't think there's a working model for FSX. Only FS2000 or FS2002.

isn't is easier to get a high mach speed if you're high? (speed of sound travels slower where the air is thin)

Kristian R.

Blog Entries

The maximum speed attainable in FSX is Mach 4.6 or thereabouts. You really can't go any faster, because the simulation engine doesn't let you. I know, because I've tried - in the 737. I set the flaps to cause negative drag.
    I fly through the valley of death, but I fear no evil,for I am at 80,000 feet and climbing. Let's powerdive and scare that poor soul in that Ultralight there.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Jevans View Post
    The maximum speed attainable in FSX is Mach 4.6 or thereabouts. You really can't go any faster, because the simulation engine doesn't let you. I know, because I've tried - in the 737. I set the flaps to cause negative drag.
    The Mach number tables in ESP cut-off at Mach 3.2. (I imagine that is the same for FSX). Although the aircraft may go faster than that the realism/accuracy is degraded.

Default Mission Possible

Yesterday went and got the North American XB-70 Valkyrie, by Massimo Altieri ('Bugs'). It flys really smooth, so hand flying is a pleasure. But it only went M1.6. So I tweaked it and now it does Mach 4.00 / 2700 kts, at 20 K ft. Did not take it to 40 K ft. Ran out of time. But it flys MUCH better than the Concorde. Lands 125 kts.

I worked on the Concorde from Feb 3 to Feb 17. So kinda burned out with that model, by Libardo Guzman (Nov 2008). But I got the handling where you can land at 125 to 135 kts. This bird also goes M 4.25 / 2900 kts. Range is 3 hrs and 5,000 nm. So I'm 95% done with both. News at 11.

So I don't care about realism. Fun is the object. Not passing FAA tests (hehe). And FO Jevans: going to look into your trick with the 'negative drag flaps'. Sounds interesting. It's stuff like this that make my day. Thanks for sharing. The sim has a lot of potential for all those creative minds out there. You have to think outside the 'SDK' box. Cheers.
    CB
    Napamule