Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: FSX Deluxe Repair Fatal Error

  1. #1

    Exclamation FSX Deluxe Repair Fatal Error

    Hey all,

    I am having serious issues with the repair function of FSX Gold Edition. Because my default scenery was loading incredibly slow and with no fix available, I decided to repair the features of my FSX Deluxe first, as I figured that's where the problem would be. I already had Acceleration installed at the time, in case that's significant. I successfully repaired FSX Deluxe, and when I went to re-start FSX again, I encountered a problem. The splash screen would pop up, and then it would not do anything for a minute or two. Then, a window would pop up, saying that FSX had encountered a fatal error and needed to close . I tried multiple times, all with the same result. FSX will not start up, and I cannot figure out why. Can anybody help me out, and give me tips to solve my problem without having to re-install completely? I don't want to lose my 400+ hours of flight time (In my Aerosoft F-16 ), and I especially don't want to re-install every other addon I have as well.

    Thanks,

    dglove23

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dglove23 View Post
    I already had Acceleration installed at the time, in case that's significant.

    I don't want to lose my 400+ hours of flight time (In my Aerosoft F-16 ), and I especially don't want to re-install every other addon I have as well.
    Maybe first try uninstalling Acceleration before doing the repair.

    If you really consider a re-install:
    for the flight hours: make a copy of logbook.BIN in C:\Users\<yr user name>\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\ and put it somewhere safe.

  3. #3

    Default Must Repair Both

    dglove23,
    If you 'repair' the FSX part, you MUST do a 'repair' to Acceleration part too. I believe that is what is messing up the works. Try that and post back.

    Be sure you 'repair' FSX and restart your but don't run FSX yet. Then stick the acceleration disk in and do it's 'repair'. Restart your pc. Then run FSX, fly a default airplane for about a minute. Shut FSX down. Restart you PC again and then run FSX to ck things are 'sticking'. The restarts are essential part of the whole process.

    Of course back up fsx.cfg if you have tweaks. And your flight hours log. Copy add-ons (I do the entire 'Flight Simulator X' folder so I can keep my gauges, etc. You will delete that and get the space back when it's all working) to temp folder (all files should should work when you copy back, as you are not re-installing to a different drive). If you have an external drive, do a 'clone' of the drive (all of it) where you have FSX installed-I do that too). A 'clone' keeps everyting as an exact copy of files (not compressed or encrypted).
    CB
    Napamule

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Rhode Island, USA
    Posts
    1,043

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dglove23 View Post
    Hey all,

    I am having serious issues with the repair function of FSX Gold Edition. Because my default scenery was loading incredibly slow and with no fix available, I decided to repair the features of my FSX Deluxe first, as I figured that's where the problem would be.
    Thanks,

    dglove23

    SO: Do you have "FSX Gold Edition".. AND.. "FSX Deluxe Edition" installed on the same computer..? I thought Gold Edition already had Acceleration built in, and was considered an upgrade to the original Deluxe Edition. Just wondering. SPOFF

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SPOFF View Post
    SO: Do you have "FSX Gold Edition".. AND.. "FSX Deluxe Edition" installed on the same computer..? I thought Gold Edition already had Acceleration built in, and was considered an upgrade to the original Deluxe Edition. Just wondering. SPOFF
    FSX Gold Edition is the last release of FSX - it contains Deluxe and Acceleration, with Acceleration on its own separate disk, and Deluxe on its normal two. It's basically buying Deluxe and Acceleration for a better deal

    Quote Originally Posted by napamule2 View Post
    dglove23,
    If you 'repair' the FSX part, you MUST do a 'repair' to Acceleration part too. I believe that is what is messing up the works. Try that and post back.

    Be sure you 'repair' FSX and restart your but don't run FSX yet. Then stick the acceleration disk in and do it's 'repair'. Restart your pc. Then run FSX, fly a default airplane for about a minute. Shut FSX down. Restart you PC again and then run FSX to ck things are 'sticking'. The restarts are essential part of the whole process.

    Of course back up fsx.cfg if you have tweaks. And your flight hours log. Copy add-ons (I do the entire 'Flight Simulator X' folder so I can keep my gauges, etc. You will delete that and get the space back when it's all working) to temp folder (all files should should work when you copy back, as you are not re-installing to a different drive). If you have an external drive, do a 'clone' of the drive (all of it) where you have FSX installed-I do that too). A 'clone' keeps everyting as an exact copy of files (not compressed or encrypted).
    CB
    Napamule
    Okay, I did exactly what you said, but I have a serious problem. Acceleration repair won't work!! I have noticed though, that if i remove the FA-18 folder, then the repair does work, and puts a fresh new FA-18 folder in there (default one, not the original one with the repaints). So, I'm assuming Acceleration cannot be repaired, because there is nothing to repair.

    I have tried restarting and repairing, but I keep getting the same message. I can't fix Acceleration, so I think I'm left with only one good option: uninstall+reinstall.

    I have the files transferring as we speak - I copied my entire FSX folder into the external drive for backup (as well as my desktop for easy reach)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    2

    Default

    SIMPLE AND STRAIGHTFORWARD

    I tried all the simple solutions to repair my FSX Gold which encountered a consistent "fatal error" on startup. One at a time I deleted logbook.bin, deleted fsx.cfg, and installed an alternatative UIAutomationcore.dll in the FSX main folder (being careful to back up each file prior to deletion, and restoring it after trying to restart). So I decided to try repair FSX using the installation DVD's. I was running on WIn7, 32-bit. I backed up the entire FSX folder, and the corresponding FSX folders in AppData/Roaming/Microsoft and My Documents first, just to be on the safe side. I inserted the first DVD and selected
    "repair". After waiting quite a while, that operation finished successfully. Without trying to start FSX, I inserted the Acceleration Pack DVD and selected "repair" for that as well. Again, I had a long, patient wait before seeing the "success" message.

    When I started up FSX, there was no fatal error. The scenery indices were rebuilt, but the simulator started properly thereafter with the same default flight I had selected, the same airplane, and all of my old settings. All my add-on planes, my add-on scenery and utilities were there. I had customized a few panels to suit me, and edited the aircraft.cfg files as well. All is as it was before FSX caught the "fatal error" bug, and I have not yet had to copy anything over from my backups. How satisfying that the repair process replaced whatever had become corrupted, but left all my "custom" additions intact!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Location
    Richland, WA
    Posts
    2,447

    Default

    I too have problems with some inconsistencies in your report:

    Title:
    "FSX Deluxe Repair Fatal Error"

    You either have a box with the program name on it :
    Microsoft Flight Simulator Deluxe Edition
    or you don't

    You have a box with:
    Microsoft Flight Simulator Gold Edition
    or you do not.

    You have a separate box with:
    Microsoft Flight Simulator Acceleration
    or you do not

    The correct repair procedure you should perform compared to the one you used will be determined by the correct answers to these questions.

    "I am having serious issues with the repair function of FSX Gold Edition..."
    "...I decided to repair the features of my FSX Deluxe first, as I figured that's where the problem would be. I already had Acceleration installed at the time, in case that's significant. I successfully repaired FSX Deluxe"

    "Acceleration repair won't work!! I have noticed though, that if i remove the FA-18 folder, then the repair does work,..."

    This is indicative that you did not uninstall Acceleration before doing the Deluxe repair.

    "I tried all the simple solutions to repair my FSX Gold..."

    "FSX had encountered a fatal error and needed to close..."

    Obtaining the error message from the Windows Event Viewer as detailed in the #1 sticky at the top of this forum is key to moving forward.

    "...then the repair does work, and puts a fresh new FA-18 folder in there (default one, not the original one with the repaints)."

    default, but not original is non-sequitur. "Default" and "original" mean the same thing.

    "I'm assuming Acceleration cannot be repaired, because there is nothing to repair."

    Not a correct assumption.

    -Pv-

  8. #8

    Default

    This is a 2010 thread. The OP is probably long gone (or in the 'loonie bin' hehe) by now. But it's good info - tells me some people are not paying attention to detail (date). :-)
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz, Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, Sapphire Ati Radeon HD-5770 1 Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Acer 23 in LCD, Windows XP SP2, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad (sits LEFT of Keyboard) for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change (S key).

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Location
    Richland, WA
    Posts
    2,447

    Default

    I usually do, but not this time. I'll keep your data buffer busy. No problem.
    -Pv-
    Last edited by pvarn; 05-15-2015 at 09:57 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Fatal Error!! WHAT THE H#%L!!
    By trooper1822 in forum FSX
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-16-2009, 08:19 AM
  2. ATC fatal error
    By thomastt in forum FS2002
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-26-2003, 05:14 AM
  3. G2D.dll Fatal Error
    By BigT0827 in forum FS2004
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-16-2003, 08:19 PM
  4. Re: fatal error.
    By crash50 in forum FS5
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-07-1998, 07:34 PM
  5. fatal error.
    By allenkaufhold in forum FS5
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-04-1998, 05:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •