Thread: Instant Scenery object libraries

1. Default Instant Scenery object libraries

within the options of Instant Scenery, which I just got for FSX, I see that there is the option of listing "Libraries not available in this area". when I select an object which then shows up in the lists, it does not appear. I guess this makes sense since it says that these objects are not available in the Mojave where I am building a scenery. Is there a way to unlock these objects so that I can place them wherever I want???

the additional libraries which show up but are unavailable have files names such as OBX17200.BGL and others have city names such as LA.BGL

Quote Originally Posted by majormajor42 View Post
    within the options of Instant Scenery, which I just got for FSX, I see that there is the option of listing "Libraries not available in this area". when I select an object which then shows up in the lists, it does not appear. I guess this makes sense since it says that these objects are not available in the Mojave where I am building a scenery. Is there a way to unlock these objects so that I can place them wherever I want???

the additional libraries which show up but are unavailable have files names such as OBX17200.BGL and others have city names such as LA.BGL
    I have used IS for well over a year now (In both FS2004 and FSX) and have never discovered a way to "unlock" such objects.

I guess they figure that seeing the Eiffel Tower in the desert would be just a bit unrealistic.

This has never been a problem for me as the program can place all the RWY12 library objects and all the EZ style library objects in addition the default FS objects. That always provided me with more than enough items to choose from.
    David "Opa" Marshall

3. Default

thanks opaplano.

What I am doing is trying to recreate some of the "combat villages" that they have in the Mojave for MOUT training. So I want buildings that look like they are from the middle east, in California.

I got some good library objects from MCDmil, MCDiraq.
    Do you know if the libraries you mentioned, "RWY12 library objects and all the EZ style library objects", have additional buildings that look like they could be placed in the Middle East/Central Asia?

Quote Originally Posted by majormajor42 View Post
    thanks opaplano.

What I am doing is trying to recreate some of the "combat villages" that they have in the Mojave for MOUT training. So I want buildings that look like they are from the middle east, in California.

I got some good library objects from MCDmil, MCDiraq.
    Do you know if the libraries you mentioned, "RWY12 library objects and all the EZ style library objects", have additional buildings that look like they could be placed in the Middle East/Central Asia?
    The two you mentioned are the only ones that I am aware of that have the type of buildings you mught find suitable.

But you might search for RAF libraries by Ted Andrews. He has done several libraries with older style RAF buildings and control towers etc. which can be placed with RWY12 or EZ or IS. Might be worth a look.

If anything else comes to mind I will post back.
    David "Opa" Marshall

5. Default

It's possible to unlock scenery objects, but it's a bit of a nuisance. If you know of specific buildings you want to use, and know which scenery files they're in, I may be able to help you.

I've already put together a couple of libraries of unlocked default FS9 buildings...maybe you'll find something useful in them...

fs9_custombuildings_ss_1_v2.zip
    fs9_custom_buildings_ss_2_v2.zip

You can find them in the library here on Flightsim.

Hi Sidney - I have come across the same problem - I wish to use the 'polytunnel'-type hangar, called the Pietenpol Hangar, from the Oshkosh area, in the South of France - it won't let me! Can you tell me how to unlock this one particular building? Thanks in advance.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by fatcharlie View Post
    Hi Sidney - I have come across the same problem - I wish to use the 'polytunnel'-type hangar, called the Pietenpol Hangar, from the Oshkosh area, in the South of France - it won't let me! Can you tell me how to unlock this one particular building? Thanks in advance.

Roger
    In case Sidney does get back to see your request - this is how you can do it.

Assuming you are seeing an error message saying something like "object(s) not available in this area", that is because the objects are tied to existing coordinates.

You can easily "unlock" the objects by doing the following:

1. Download and install the free utility name BGLXML 1.8, by Alessandro G. Antonini - file name is bglx180.zip at most DL sites.

2. Place a copy of the bgl in question - most likely named OshKosh.bgl from your Scenery/Namc/scenery subfolder into the folder where you installed BGLXML.

3. Run the utility on that file and direct the output to a temporary folder. It should decompile all of the model files - some 37 of them - plus the xml file which controls where they are placed in FS2004.

4. Use the Library Creator utility which comes with the EZ and Instant Scenery programs to to create your own "new" Object Library using these models. Name it something like My_Oshkosh_Library to distinguish it from the default one.

5. Place the resulting library bgl and it's associated txt file wherever you normally keep EZ style libraries.

Now you should be able to select and place any of the Oshkosh Objects wherever you wish as they are no longer associated with particular coordinates. Just select the library bgl you created as the source. The original Oshkosh bgl has not been changed so the objects will still display properly at Oshkosh also.

I have done this a number of times - even placed the Statue of Liberty in the middle of the Sahara Desert as a test.

You can do this for your own scenery - not really sure what the copyright implications might be if you plan to share your work.

Hope this helps. If you need further assistance, contact me via a PM (Personal Message).
    David "Opa" Marshall

Hi David,

thanks very much for the clear explanation. It worked a treat!

Thanks for your time and attention.

Roger

As David says, the only way to be sure that you can place a regionally restricted object is to extract the model and place it in a new library. If you are using something like ADE then you can use the model directly, however if you want to use it in more than one place it is a good idea to put it into a library. We have recently been researching the way FS regionally restricts object placement. We had though that it related to objects that had the placement code in the same file as the object. We have now found this is not true and there are other ways FS has to stop placement of some objects anywhere. We hope to figure out what the rules are so that we can make it easier to identify these objects before trying to place them