Thread: FSX-Google Earth

Default FSX-Google Earth

I just downloaded the latest version of Google Earth. The latest feature is the 3d buildings in larger cities. The reality level blew my mind.
    It is a bloody shame that Microsoft stopped developing the Flight Simulator (in existence since 1980 [at least]). Just before they could have made a pact/agree/make a deal/etc/. with Google Earth to include that in the latest flight simulator.

Just imagine to fly over the terrain, which you know it is the real thing and not generated/autogen/etc.

For me, stopping now to come out with yet another version with the real terrain makes no sense, none at all. I understand that developing flight simulator at this point (other than.....) makes little sense, since FSX achieved an almost optimal simulation under the current technology. But to miss this one out, well, I don't know, I am not in the business to develop new software, I think it was a mistake.

What do you all think?

Gabor

Why not get Plan-G instead? Already has it and it's free.
    Flying over real scenery directly in FSX would bee to costly in money and FPS.
    Alex

Well, first, you should check out Microsoft's own Bing Maps 3D which has similar features to Google Earth. With Google doing their best to make desktop operating systems, and especially Windows, irrelevant, I doubt you will ever see Microsoft and Google team up.

As for what we all think of the decision, there have been many threads over the past year about it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor View Post
    I just downloaded the latest version of Google Earth. The latest feature is the 3d buildings in larger cities. The reality level blew my mind.
    It is a bloody shame that Microsoft stopped developing the Flight Simulator (in existence since 1980 [at least]). Just before they could have made a pact/agree/make a deal/etc/. with Google Earth to include that in the latest flight simulator.

Just imagine to fly over the terrain, which you know it is the real thing and not generated/autogen/etc.

For me, stopping now to come out with yet another version with the real terrain makes no sense, none at all. I understand that developing flight simulator at this point (other than.....) makes little sense, since FSX achieved an almost optimal simulation under the current technology. But to miss this one out, well, I don't know, I am not in the business to develop new software, I think it was a mistake.

What do you all think?

Gabor

Something similar can be accomplished with the Tileproxy program. It doesn't use Google Maps, but it does use real terrain with FSX or FS9.

And it's free....
    Dell XPS X8300 Intel core i7-2600(3.4 GHZ,8 MB Cache) 8 GB memory 1.5 TB HDD 1 GB AMD Radeon HD 6770 graphics card Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor View Post
    Just before they could have made a pact/agree/make a deal/etc/. with Google Earth to include that in the latest flight simulator.

You do realize that Microsoft and Google are competitors locked in a deep battle over visible Earth technology?

That Microsoft's Bing Maps greatly exceeds Google Maps and Google Earth view of many parts of the world as far as 3D and realism?

That the only way you would ever see Google technology and images in Flight Simulator is after one company bought the other.

Tileproxy and other realistic scenery products are nice, but to me Google Earth is far, far from reaching the current capabilities of FSX.

While those have realistic images, they do not have variable lighting effects, the changes in sun angle, the changes in shadows, etc. Plus the coverage area is too small. And the colors are off worse than the default FSX landclass.

I would love it if Google Earth would get down to maximum satellite resolution for the United States. Because most of the parts of this country where I fly in FS, GE cannot resolve individual buildings under 100x100 feet very well. :-(

Probably 50% of more of the earth's land surface in Google Earth is too poorly resolved to identify any object under 300x300M in size.
    Last edited by ReggieF5421; 02-02-2010 at 02:06 PM.
    Hello Dave

@ PawPaw's house - near KADS, Addison, Texas, USA

Google Earth has got an inbuilt Flight Sim but i don't like it much because your eye-line is fixed straight ahead, meaning half the screen is sky in level flight, and you can't look obliquely down at the ground.
    To see more of the ground you have to (gulp) dive..
    Actually I haven't tried the Sim for a few months so maybe they've improved it since then-

GE FLIGHT SIM- http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/08/31...ght-simulator/