Thread: Can't get ILS approach to work with Airbus 380, help.

1. Default Can't get ILS approach to work with Airbus 380, help.

I've been flying the a380 (downloaded free file from either here or flyawaysim.com or something) I love the aircraft so I am learning how to work with it.

I set the ILS frequency into the nav and activate it, it starts making the nose like it normally does and I turn the audio off. When Approach tells me to turn and descend until cleared, I hit the NAV button. Yet the a380 does not turn, it keeps flying passed the vector (green arrow as I call it). I noticed my HEADING button was lit so I thought that was the problem...I landed on my own and created another flight plan.

Second attempt. Same set up, this time I turned the heading button off, still flew by it. What is causing this??? I am doing everything as I do in the lear 45 (button wise). Is there a step I am missing?

Federal Way, Washington, United States of America.

Well there could be several problems. Follow the steps bellow to cover the basic pilot error ones and if those don't work we can go from there.

1. Make sure you have the correct Nav frequency tuned and check to make sure you have the right station. That's the beeping its the station morse code identifier.
    2. Just to be sure tune both your NAV 1 & 2 radios to the given frequency.
    3. Make sure you have the NAV mode selected on the Autopilot usually this is the defualt setting but if your were using the GPS to navigate by you need to make sure to flip the switch.
    4. Make sure you have the correct ILS course selected on the course setting. (This is DIFFERENT then the heading selection).
    5. When told to intercept by ATC make sure that the Auto-pilot is active and then select the NAV hold button. (If you had the heading hold on before this should now turn off automatically)
    6. If all goes well you should turn to follow the ILS to the runway. If you want to decend to the runway make sure you have APR button selected and not NAV.

These are the things I always check before landing and I am especially sure of checking if I am flying a new aircraft. It's easy to get lost in there.

Michael

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by lizardmon View Post
    Well there could be several problems. Follow the steps bellow to cover the basic pilot error ones and if those don't work we can go from there.

1. Make sure you have the correct Nav frequency tuned and check to make sure you have the right station. That's the beeping its the station morse code identifier.
    2. Just to be sure tune both your NAV 1 & 2 radios to the given frequency.
    3. Make sure you have the NAV mode selected on the Autopilot usually this is the defualt setting but if your were using the GPS to navigate by you need to make sure to flip the switch.
    4. Make sure you have the correct ILS course selected on the course setting. (This is DIFFERENT then the heading selection).
    5. When told to intercept by ATC make sure that the Auto-pilot is active and then select the NAV hold button. (If you had the heading hold on before this should now turn off automatically)
    6. If all goes well you should turn to follow the ILS to the runway. If you want to decend to the runway make sure you have APR button selected and not NAV.

These are the things I always check before landing and I am especially sure of checking if I am flying a new aircraft. It's easy to get lost in there.

Michael
    Thanks Michael for getting back to me. I'm gonna go through your list and answer.

1. I made sure of this. No issues there.
    2. THIS may have been my problem. Not sure though. I used NAV 2, not
    NAV 1. Did not even think of that until reading what you wrote. I will try using NAV 1, then trying both (if NAV 1 doesnt work).
    3. Checked, this is not an issue.
    4. Never dealt with course, so not sure of anything when it comes to that.
    5. A/P is active. When I hit the NAV button, the heading does not go off. Now thinking, this could be because I was using the NAV 2 selection and not NAV 1. That would cause it to not go off I think.
    6. Understand about the approach. 99% of the time I end up flicking auto pilot off anyways once i get lined up, I actually like to land it myself, feels cooler ha.

There are several hundred freeware a380 aircraft files available.. from not good or realistic.. to very good, if you give us the file name and where to download it, it would be easy to help you

The airport and approach youre flying also, so we ca download the correct ILS chart http://www.aeroplanner.com/flightpla...oachplates.cfm

5. Default

Can you fly the same approach successfully in a different aircraft?

What is happening on the HSI/navigation display?
    Does the CDI deflect? Do you see the glideslope needles?

What does the manual that came with the mod say about setting up an ILS approach?

2. THIS may have been my problem. Not sure though. I used NAV 2, not
    NAV 1. Did not even think of that until reading what you wrote. I will try using NAV 1, then trying both (if NAV 1 doesnt work).
    The autopilot will follow NAV1.
    4. Never dealt with course, so not sure of anything when it comes to that.
    Course is not needed for an ILS approach, only for VORs.
    5. A/P is active. When I hit the NAV button, the heading does not go off. Now thinking, this could be because I was using the NAV 2 selection and not NAV 1. That would cause it to not go off I think.
    When you are in HDG mode and turn on NAV it will only arm navigation mode.
    Only when the plane get's close enough to the selected radial or localizer will the NAV mode activate. Before that the AP will do what it was told previously.
    If HDG does not go off and NAV is not activated then you are not close enough to the selected course or the navaid is not received.
    Last edited by jeroen79; 01-12-2010 at 06:24 AM.