Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is there a Google Maps moving map companion for FSX?

Default Is there a Google Maps moving map companion for FSX?

I am wondering if there is a Google Maps moving map system so that as I fly, I can ALT TAB out and I can see my plane exaclty where I am in the real world as it would be following me in real time as I go.

Even cooler if it did not mess with framerates too much, dual screen with expanded destop so that you would have a google earth on the second display acting almost as a GPS.

Mostly I am trying to quickly know the names of small places and rivers as I fly over them without a hugemunguos VFR sectional on my desk.

Does that exist?

Charles.

Quote Originally Posted by cvearl View Post
    I am wondering if there is a Google Maps moving map system so that as I fly, I can ALT TAB out and I can see my plane exaclty where I am in the real world as it would be following me in real time as I go.

Even cooler if it did not mess with framerates too much, dual screen with expanded destop so that you would have a google earth on the second display acting almost as a GPS.

Mostly I am trying to quickly know the names of small places and rivers as I fly over them without a hugemunguos VFR sectional on my desk.

Does that exist?

Charles.
    Check Plan G and you will love it.........Free!!!
    http://www.flightsim.com/main/notams09/taso1125.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Solido View Post
    Check Plan G and you will love it.........Free!!!
    http://www.flightsim.com/main/notams09/taso1125.htm
    Moves live in the background as you fly in realtime?

I shall have to look closer.

Charles.

Not only will Plan-G show where you are, it will also show all the AI Aircraft in your area. It will also import .pln files and/or allow you to create a FP.

Sherm

By default, it repositions the map when your plane reaches the edge (less work = better performance), but it can also keep the plane centred if that's what you want.

Now with extra BLOGiness!

I'm currently using fsearth (payware, http://www.wideview.it/fsearth/). It does what you want except that it's not at all friendly on FPS. It works but for several reasons I'm not too happy with it. I use it on a separate computer to display the moving map on a small LCD. It does not use simconnect so it requires some ugly hacks to be able to use over the network. I would also like to be able to control it via my touchscreen but I don't think it's possible with fsearth since the display is kind of "read only" and is only supposed to be controlled via FSX shortcuts.

I hadn't heard of Plan-G before but after checking the homepage seems like it's exactly what I want, thanks for the tip!
    Last edited by tolip; 12-21-2009 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_A View Post
    By default, it repositions the map when your plane reaches the edge (less work = better performance), but it can also keep the plane centred if that's what you want.
    How badly does it effect FSX performance?

I run a dual core C2D E8400 3.0Ghz Stock processor and 4GB PC2-6400 RAM and an ATI 4870 512MB card. System RAM reports in at about 3.4GB. I run as lean as I can.

Using mainly Ultra Scenery settings but low weather and traffic, my framerates are normally solid locked at 30fps except sometimes in busy complex airports it goes into the low 20's.

I know that when I use Track IR I get the OOM blue squares on the ground from time to time and some payware aircraft gets the popping and hissing issue something fierce. But running FSX alone is solid.

Does it play nice?

Charles.

I run it via a network on my '2nd electronic flight bag' computer, and I don't think there is any performance hit with Plan-G.

Great program, Tim did a great job with it.
    Brian W Keske

Quote Originally Posted by bkeske View Post
    I run it via a network on my '2nd electronic flight bag' computer, and I don't think there is any performance hit with Plan-G.

Great program, Tim did a great job with it.
    It will talk across my home wireless network to my laptop?

Are you SERIOUS!

Comming from the old days of 4 color flight simulator on my old Tandy and I have to say HOLY Mother of PEARL!

Only been about 20 years and how incredible is this.

Charles.

Hi,

For FS04 a network needs WideFS and a registered FSUIPC.

For FSX it uses SimConnect.