Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Fsx Freezes and Cannot Shutdown Computer!

1. Default

What should I do, it just started to freeze last week.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelvvmm View Post
    What should I do, it just started to freeze last week.
    If I was in your place, I'd have to suck it up and try to backtrack and remember any updates I or Windows Update made, driver upgrades, software/hardware installs.

I had something similar happen to Pacific Fighters with Windows 7 RC1. Pacific Fighters didn't just freeze. It quit to the desktop, period. I couldn't nail down what I did prior. So, I rolled back the Windows Profile to the last good working Profile. I obviously lost some installs. But, Pacific Fighters started working again until a couple of days later. Apparently, whatever was affecting Pacific Fighters came through Windows Update and I was able to isolate that particular KBxxxx file and keep it from being installed.

My advice would be if at all possible, try to remember what you did within the week before the freezes started. It was a pain in the butt for me and probably the same for you. If you can't remember, then roll back to the last good profile and see if that fixes FSX. Then you can work towards isolating the problem.

The above is for a software problem.

When the motherboard capacitors in my previous pc started going bad, I also got random freezes with some games. But it got steadily worse until Windows itself would spontaneously quit and reboot.

I don't think you have a hardware problem just yet (your pc seems new --->2.8ghz Athlon X2). But, if the freezes starts to get worse, then you might want to consider it.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; 12-21-2009 at 02:06 PM.
    2.8ghz AMD Phenom II X3 720 BE 4th Core Enabled/Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-U2DH/A-Data XPG 8gb DDR3 1600G/Sapphire 1gb ATI HD 5770/500gb WD Green SATA 3.0 HDD/Diablotek 650w PSU/Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit OEM/FSX SP2/X-Plane 9.40RC16/Catalyst 9.12/SB Audigy 2 Value/Logitech Z-2300 2.1 speakers

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    If I was in your place, I'd have to suck it up and try to backtrack and remember any updates I or Windows Update made, driver upgrades, software/hardware installs.

I had something similar happen to Pacific Fighters with Windows 7 RC1. Pacific Fighters didn't just freeze. It quit to the desktop, period. I couldn't nail down what I did prior. So, I rolled back the Windows Profile to the last good working Profile. I obviously lost some installs. But, Pacific Fighters started working again until a couple of days later. Apparently, whatever was affecting Pacific Fighters came through Windows Update and I was able to isolate that particular KBxxxx file and keep it from being installed.

My advice would be if at all possible, try to remember what you did within the week before the freezes started. It was a pain in the butt for me and probably the same for you. If you can't remember, then roll back to the last good profile and see if that fixes FSX. Then you can work towards isolating the problem.

The above is for a software problem.

When the motherboard capacitors in my previous pc started going bad, I also got random freezes with some games. But it got steadily worse until Windows itself would spontaneously quit and reboot.

I don't think you have a hardware problem just yet (your pc seems new --->2.8ghz Athlon X2). But, if the freezes starts to get worse, then you might want to consider it.
    I installed REX that week but then I uninstalled but im still having problems. My motherboard is only 4 months old so that isnt the problem. I will try to uninstall my graphics card drivers and reinstall them, ill see if that works.

I installed REX that week but then I uninstalled but im still having problems. My motherboard is only 4 months old so that isnt the problem. I will try to uninstall my graphics card drivers and reinstall them, ill see if that works.
    I don't have REX (yet). Maybe someone here is experienced in REX-specific issues.

But, I'd start with REX first since the freezes are internal to FSX. Even if REX was uninstalled, some settings made to FSX may not have been changed back be it in the Registry or a config file somewhere. I'd exhaust that perspective first.

If it's external to FSX then it really becomes a pain.

Looking back at your original post...... I'd have to consider a hardware problem as well especially when it wouldn't turn off when the power button was pressed and held down.

I've had the power button problem happen 3X in my lifetime:
    1. The third time was recently with that bad motherboard. The power button problem was one of the later symptoms.
    2. The second time it happened was two years ago when my Antec Truepower II 480 PSU went bad.
    3. The first time was with a P3-733 pc back in 2000. That one I couldn't figure out. But, it was a Win98SE/W2k issue since Linux Mandrake 6.0 (and later XP) worked perfectly with it.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; 12-21-2009 at 03:12 PM.
    2.8ghz AMD Phenom II X3 720 BE 4th Core Enabled/Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-U2DH/A-Data XPG 8gb DDR3 1600G/Sapphire 1gb ATI HD 5770/500gb WD Green SATA 3.0 HDD/Diablotek 650w PSU/Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit OEM/FSX SP2/X-Plane 9.40RC16/Catalyst 9.12/SB Audigy 2 Value/Logitech Z-2300 2.1 speakers

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    I don't have REX (yet). Maybe someone here is experienced in REX-specific issues.

But, I'd start with REX first since the freezes are internal to FSX. Even if REX was uninstalled, some settings made to FSX may not have been changed back be it in the Registry or a config file somewhere. I'd exhaust that perspective first.

If it's external to FSX then it really becomes a pain.

Looking back at your original post...... I'd have to consider a hardware problem as well especially when it wouldn't turn off when the power button was pressed and held down.

I've had the power button problem happen 3X in my lifetime:
    1. The third time was recently with that bad motherboard. The power button problem was one of the later symptoms.
    2. The second time it happened was two years ago when my Antec Truepower II 480 PSU went bad.
    3. The first time was with a P3-733 pc back in 2000. That one I couldn't figure out. But, it was a Win98SE/W2k issue since Linux Mandrake 6.0 (and later XP) worked perfectly with it.
    One person if you hold down the power button for 7 seconds it just shuts down the computer and it worked. I was just playing mw2 and it froze and I waited to see what happens, it froze for 5 or so seconds and the screen went black then my monitor said "no signal", yet the computer was on. Then it worked again.

michaelvvmm, didn't know you were talking about AMD stuff here, so hopefully Pekto can be of more help than myself.

That said, my old FS computer (now my work computer) had a single core Pentium 4 650, which was 3.4 GHz. and 2 GB of memory. After flying a while in FSX, I went with a Core 2 Duo E6700, which is 2.66 GHz and 4 MB of memory. Incredible what a difference the Core 2 Duo made, even when the GHz was less.

Now that is out of date, way out of date actually, but it runs FS without many issues at all. I originally had a couple 'out of memory' issues, but increased my RAM by 2GB, and have never had a problem again.
    Last edited by bkeske; 12-21-2009 at 06:59 PM.
    Brian W Keske

One person if you hold down the power button for 7 seconds it just shuts down the computer and it worked. I was just playing mw2 and it froze and I waited to see what happens, it froze for 5 or so seconds and the screen went black then my monitor said "no signal", yet the computer was on. Then it worked again.
    Hmmm. I got those symptoms too before. Just wondering what's your exact motherboard manufacturer and model.

Better yet, what kind of capacitors are at the back between the cpu and the ports? Are they the newer solid state ones or the old "coke/pepsi can style. If they're the latter, they too may leak/bulge someday or perhaps earlier.

I noticed while checking out every single AMD motherboard at newegg.com that some with nVidia chipsets (eg nForce) still use the old capacitors. That's why I went with one that used AMD chipsets (780, 785, 790) and moved to the Gigabyte brand.

If the capacitors aren't this style then I guess you're okay. If they are, expect problems later on.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

9. Default

Thats bad for me, I have that style (I guess thats what I get for getting a cheap board) about when will they break?

Thats bad for me, I have that style (I guess thats what I get for getting a cheap board) about when will they break?

Mine was a top-notch board from 2005:

MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum (nForce4 Ultra)

I started getting some "weirdness" with the power button after two years. The board finally malfunctioned completely two months ago. With a budget board, I don't know. It could be sooner.

The tops of such capacitors should be straight or curving slightly inward if they're in good shape.

If they're starting to go bad, the tops will start to bulge first followed by the sides. Then, they'll eventually leak.

My motherboard is mainly at the bulging top stage. It actually still posts. But that's about it. Try to load a Windows or Linux OS and the pc spontaneously reboots. Then the cycle starts all over again. Sometimes the power button problem will manifest itself.

The only OS that boots up is my Amiga OS on an Amiga Forever DVD. That's not much use to me though since it's mainly for nostalgia.

I'd replace that motherboard with another that has the smaller solid-state capacitors. Try Gigabyte. They understand capacitors quite well as part of their shameless self-promotion.