Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 Scenery Addon Installation Bug Fix

Default Windows 7 Scenery Addon Installation Bug Fix

I don't think this has been posted yet here, so I thought I'd place one for you guys.

Wanted to give you guys the fix for addon scenery installation when using Windows 7 (32 & 64)

So, you got some new scenery and go into your "Scenery Library" and click "Add Area", you select the scenery folder that you should and click ok, then it goes into the sub folder with "scenery" and "texture" and you click ok again, and it says "Nothing matches".. Confused you try again, and again.. Well here's the solution.

Due to a Windows 7 bug, the scenery won't add properly because the OS thinks it needs a "file" not a "folder.

1) Open your "Scenery Library" as usual.

2) Click "Add Area" as usual

3) Navigate to the scenery addon folder. This is where it changes

**** Do not click "OK"! Click anywhere in the white area of the "scenery & texture" folder

It should act as the Ok button and add the scenery for you. If it does not work, back out, and do it again.

2. Default

If "Click in this area" doesn't work, you can also try this:

Follow the steps above until the "Click in this area" step (shown above).
    In the "Directory" line just below "Click in this area", delete the last part of the scenery directory path and click "OK"

In the case above, you would delete from the last "/" to the end of the line so: "/Fly Tampa-HongKong_LC" would be removed. Leave the rest of the path alone. Make sure the "look in" field at the top is unchanged and is still showing "Fly Tampa-HongKong_LC" (or whatever YOUR scenery addition is), then click on OK.

-dc4bs

Very nice additions guys! Thank you very much

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Excellent advice and very timely, thank you. I actually meant to be clearer about which program was giving me trouble. It's adding scenerey to FS9 not FSX at this time. This FSX info is golden however as I am about to install FSX as well as FS9 now that I have a system that will run it.

After a quick read on these answers I believe they may apply to FS9 as well as FSX anyhow. I'll try it out to night and advise.

I must say, the thoroughness and speed of these replies has left me dumbfounded. I'm new at forums although having flown extensively with FS9 and it's precedents for 10+ years and I intend to make good use of them in the future.

Busy watching the Olympics here in Vancouver in the mean time . . . Go Canada GO!

This should be a sticky because it's going to keep coming up.

Everyone adds scenery and will have this question, sooner or later.

Maybe there should be a "how to fix it" section of important stuff and this
    could be the first sticky there?
    Intel Core i7 975 Extreme (3.86GHz)
    12GB Corsair Memory
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 285
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Archammer View Post
    I don't think this has been posted yet here, so I thought I'd place one for you guys.

Wanted to give you guys the fix for addon scenery installation when using Windows 7 (32 & 64)

So, you got some new scenery and go into your "Scenery Library" and click "Add Area", you select the scenery folder that you should and click ok, then it goes into the sub folder with "scenery" and "texture" and you click ok again, and it says "Nothing matches".. Confused you try again, and again.. Well here's the solution.

Due to a Windows 7 bug, the scenery won't add properly because the OS thinks it needs a "file" not a "folder.

1) Open your "Scenery Library" as usual.

2) Click "Add Area" as usual

3) Navigate to the scenery addon folder. This is where it changes

**** Do not click "OK"! Click anywhere in the white area of the "scenery & texture" folder

It should act as the Ok button and add the scenery for you. If it does not work, back out, and do it again.
    I did all this and it wasn't working till I figured out why. When you get to step 2, hit OK! Don't double click the folder with your mouse! It won't work when you click in the empty area then. So just hit OK when you click on the folder you want to add, then click in the white area!

7. Default

Thanks 4 the info

Quote Originally Posted by ericabad1980 View Post
    Thanks 4 the info
    Have just installed FSX on a new computer running Windows 7 - 64bit and still unable to load scenery. Have followed the previous posts to this problem without any luck.
    Am trying to add on a folder "Berlin" and the last screen shows as follows;-
    Look in : Addon Scenery
    Name : Berlin
    Directory : s\Microsoft Flight SimulatorX\Addon Scenery\Berlin
    Scenery area title : Berlin
    When I now click on the white area as posted, the Directory and Scenery area go blank i.e. they get removed.
    Have also tried removing the last slash between\Addon Scenery\Berlin - still nothing happens - the scenery is not being added and does not show up in the Available Scenery Area.
    Any help appreciated, or have I missed something?
    System
    Intel Core i5 3GHz - 4Gb memory - ATI Radeon HD5670 W7 Home Premium 64bit
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by orsova View Post
    Look in : Addon Scenery
    Name : Berlin
    Directory : s\Microsoft Flight SimulatorX\Addon Scenery\Berlin
    Scenery area title : Berlin
    Yr Berlin folder needs at least a subfolder "scenery" to be able to add it. The scenery subfolder cannot be empty either: at least one BGL in there.

Greetz,
    Wim