Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Severe Graphic tearing in FSX?

NE Scotland, beside the current 617 Dambuster squadron

Default Severe Graphic tearing in FSX?

OK ... I do have the final version of Win 7 through legit means and am allowed to install it and activate it on the 22nd, so that's what I'm doing.

What I'm experiencing is very severe vertical spiking of scenery in green area's ... IE, forests, woods suburban areas, it does not happen at sea, or in desert type area's as in Groom lake default FSX Acceleration scenery.

It happens mostly while panning in the virtual cockpit and also in outside view, there is no way i can quickly pan from from left to right in the above scenery types without vertical spiking .. if i jerk the hat button around (hardly ideal) I can lessen the scenery spiking and tearing.

Win 7 Home premium x64 is my OS.

Hardware is ...

OCZ Vertex 60 GB SSD just for Win 7, Velociraptor 300 GB just for FSX, Raptor 150 for some games and swap file for Win 7 and a 1TB storage drive.

Motherboard is a Gigabyte UD5, CPU is an I7 920 clocked to 4GHz, 6GB of Corsair DDR3 ram, suitably set up for the overclock (Its rock stable and this is not my first ever overclock) the PSU is a Corsair HX1000 and soundcard is the Asus D2X Xonar PCI-E.

The Graphic card is a BFG GTX285 Nvidea 1GB VRAM, this was bought on Nick Needhams advice , as at the time of writings he swore blind these cards or even lesser Nvidea cards were the best graphic cards for FSX. This was tried on latest and most recent Nvidea drivers.

I've followed his updated articles to the letter and using NHancer exactly as he specified, as well as all the other tweaks, checked, double checked and triple checked ... I still get graphic tearing, the 285 is not overclocked, I never overclock graphic cards.

I've even ran the CPU at stock speeds, same problems.

Any idea's anyone? can provide screen shots if needed?

And yes, V-Sync is enabled as he specifies.

Oddlly enough, (Since I bought the GTX285) Nick N now says that the new ATI 5870's are fine for FSX, prior to this build I had zero problems with a 4GHz E8400 with an ATI 4870 that he says are no good for FSX?

Anyone want a cheapish GTX285 1GB? Its 100% fine with everything else.

Looks like I'm going back to ATI with a 5870 very soon.

If you think about it, nobody else who has a GTX285 has posted a problem like you are having. So, I would doubt it would be the card, unless it is defective of course. Have you tried running FSX without using NHancer settings? I know with my GTX260 I could never get good results using his settings.
    Just a thought.
    Bob G.
    Intel i7 7700K 4.5 Ghz, GTX 1080 SC 1TB 7200RPM HDD, Samsung 500Gb SSHD, 750W PSU, P3DV4, Windows 10 64 bit Home Premium.REX,GEX,UTX. UTLive

Quote Originally Posted by M31 View Post
    OK ... I do have the final version of Win 7 through legit means and am allowed to install it and activate it on the 22nd, so that's what I'm doing.

What I'm experiencing is very severe vertical spiking of scenery in green area's ... IE, forests, woods suburban areas, it does not happen at sea, or in desert type area's as in Groom lake default FSX Acceleration scenery.

It happens mostly while panning in the virtual cockpit and also in outside view, there is no way i can quickly pan from from left to right in the above scenery types without vertical spiking .. if i jerk the hat button around (hardly ideal) I can lessen the scenery spiking and tearing.

Win 7 Home premium x64 is my OS.

Hardware is ...

OCZ Vertex 60 GB SSD just for Win 7, Velociraptor 300 GB just for FSX, Raptor 150 for some games and swap file for Win 7 and a 1TB storage drive.

Motherboard is a Gigabyte UD5, CPU is an I7 920 clocked to 4GHz, 6GB of Corsair DDR3 ram, suitably set up for the overclock (Its rock stable and this is not my first ever overclock) the PSU is a Corsair HX1000 and soundcard is the Asus D2X Xonar PCI-E.

The Graphic card is a BFG GTX285 Nvidea 1GB VRAM, this was bought on Nick Needhams advice , as at the time of writings he swore blind these cards or even lesser Nvidea cards were the best graphic cards for FSX. This was tried on latest and most recent Nvidea drivers.

I've followed his updated articles to the letter and using NHancer exactly as he specified, as well as all the other tweaks, checked, double checked and triple checked ... I still get graphic tearing, the 285 is not overclocked, I never overclock graphic cards.

I've even ran the CPU at stock speeds, same problems.

Any idea's anyone? can provide screen shots if needed?

And yes, V-Sync is enabled as he specifies.

Oddlly enough, (Since I bought the GTX285) Nick N now says that the new ATI 5870's are fine for FSX, prior to this build I had zero problems with a 4GHz E8400 with an ATI 4870 that he says are no good for FSX?

Anyone want a cheapish GTX285 1GB? Its 100% fine with everything else.

Looks like I'm going back to ATI with a 5870 very soon.
    Ultimately the 4800 series is good as well now. Whatever the last few driver releases have been... as long as I use the AA and AF settings inside of CCC instead of in game I am good. There was a time when ATI drivers would not do clouds in FSX without huge drops in framerates. They resolved that though. If AA is set in their console instead of from within the game.

In Vista I have to use ATI Tray Tools and Force Vsync though in the form of an FSX saved profile. I get some screen flashing though when I bring up the radio or a tool tip comes up. Someone said disable tool tips. I have not tried that yet. For now I have a second boot drive with XP on it and that's fine too. vSync works without any other apps like Ati Tool Tray or d3doverrider.

Been flying through clouds and all that jazz and have been very happy with almost no effect at all on my framerate. ATI drivers did not like FSX's own brand of AA. Caused HUGE dips in framerates. Stick with the CCC settings.

Oddly enough, the smoothest experience I get is with frames locked at 30. Even though I can maintain locked at 40. Almost Jitter free at 30 in my case. Load upa flight and enable vsync and then experiement in a turn in a big city with different framerate locks.

DX10 Preview is buggy BTW and not all items in FSX get AA applied. This is a DX10 thing.

Oh and I have gotten smoothed out just a touch by using the affinitymask tweak for multicores. Did not speed anything up but appears to have prevented some of the occasional jitters.

Charles.
    Last edited by cvearl; 10-18-2009 at 12:35 PM.

Lightbulb

Try NickN's suggestions at http://www.simforums.com/forums/foru....asp?TID=29041

Make sure you read through the nHancer section.

You most likely will have to turn on V-Sync and Triple Buffering.

Quote Originally Posted by bgets View Post
    If you think about it, nobody else who has a GTX285 has posted a problem like you are having. So, I would doubt it would be the card, unless it is defective of course. Have you tried running FSX without using NHancer settings? I know with my GTX260 I could never get good results using his settings.
    Just a thought.
    Bob G.
    Hi, yes it has occurred to me there may be a problem with this card, however it is fine in other sims and games? I have followed Nicks guide to the letter, especially as regards Nhancer ... but I suppose mileage does vary?

I'll try adjusting some settings, and try without Nhancer, but I think I'll put the 285 in my E8400 rig and get myself an ATI HD5870 or 5890 2GB once they are out ... I've always had best luck with ATI cards, the 4870 was fine for me in clouds in FSX too.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by cvearl View Post
    Ultimately the 4800 series is good as well now. Whatever the last few driver releases have been... as long as I use the AA and AF settings inside of CCC instead of in game I am good. There was a time when ATI drivers would not do clouds in FSX without huge drops in framerates. They resolved that though. If AA is set in their console instead of from within the game.

In Vista I have to use ATI Tray Tools and Force Vsync though in the form of an FSX saved profile. I get some screen flashing though when I bring up the radio or a tool tip comes up. Someone said disable tool tips. I have not tried that yet. For now I have a second boot drive with XP on it and that's fine too. vSync works without any other apps like Ati Tool Tray or d3doverrider.

Been flying through clouds and all that jazz and have been very happy with almost no effect at all on my framerate. ATI drivers did not like FSX's own brand of AA. Caused HUGE dips in framerates. Stick with the CCC settings.

Oddly enough, the smoothest experience I get is with frames locked at 30. Even though I can maintain locked at 40. Almost Jitter free at 30 in my case. Load upa flight and enable vsync and then experiement in a turn in a big city with different framerate locks.

DX10 Preview is buggy BTW and not all items in FSX get AA applied. This is a DX10 thing.

Oh and I have gotten smoothed out just a touch by using the affinitymask tweak for multicores. Did not speed anything up but appears to have prevented some of the occasional jitters.

Charles.
    Hi, I'm really inclined to just wait a little longer for a 2GB 5870 or 5890 and go back to ATI now, the GTX285 is still a good card and runs other games and sims fine, so it could go into my E8400 @ 4GHz rig and I'll sell on its 4870 card.

I'd not been using DX10 preview BTW.

Also, with Win 7 supporting DX11 as well as Aerosoft's forthcoming sim, the ATI 58** series seems the way to go and I guess I wont be happy until I have one

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by McFlysky View Post
    Try NickN's suggestions at http://www.simforums.com/forums/foru....asp?TID=29041

Make sure you read through the nHancer section.

You most likely will have to turn on V-Sync and Triple Buffering.
    Tried all that mate

Its odd, since FSX has been released, I'd tried it with a succession of home built rigs, the first had an AGP X1950, then GTS8800 then HD4870, all with no real graphic problems ... now that I build a killer I7 quad core rig just for FSX with Nicks (at time of purchase) recommended card, the GTX285, the problems are worse!!

He now seems to be recommending the new ATI 5870 cards and I'm very likely going to try this as soon as I can.

Cheers.

V-Sync issues usually involve horizontal tearing, not spikes. In my experience the spiking is an out of memory issue. See the attached for the solution.
    Bruce

https://www.flightsim.com/fswiki/index.php/OOM_Error
    [email protected] 4.5Ghz/ 16 GB Gskill DDR3 1600/Nvidia GTX460 1GB// CH Yoke/Pedals/Throttle/TrackIR/Win7/ Fsx Deluxe SP1 & SP2

"Don't let fear or good judgment hold you back"

This can easily be fixed for the 285GTX:

Let this be the first two lines of your scenery.cfg:

[Bufferpools]
    poolsize=490000000

And gone :-).

IIRC, at the time of writing NickN was speaking of current OS - not W7.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast