Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clicking on menus from toolbar in FSX causes crash to Desktop

Quote Originally Posted by remind View Post
    Hi all,
    I search forum and couldn't quite find a post similar to my problem.
    Now and then during a flight, I can go to click on a menu option from the toolbar in FSX or just right click on screen and for e.g. change view.
    Then FSX crashes to Desktop and restarts itself.
    I cannot repeat this error, it happens randomly, doesn't matter what afct I am flying or where in the world I am etc.
    There is one possible thing I think is somewhat consistent, is it appears to be after approx 30 or so minutes of using sim.

It happens either on my Windows 7 OS or Vista ( I am running a duel boot)
    I have changed video card drivers. Tried 4 versions.
    I am using FSX deluxe with Acceleration.
    I am hoping others here have had similar if not same problem and have sorted out a fix.
    Not a major problem but it is annoying to have to wait for it to restart while during a flight.

TIA
    Phil
    hey, not to change the question but, how is windows 7 working for you? as for your problem, i dont really know ill look into it and see what the cause is

2. Default

Using Win7-RC, that menu crash bug is the ONLY problem I've had with running FSX so far. There have been a few fiddly installation things but that's a separate topic.

I've gotten used to doing almost all view changes using (S,A,F9,f10,shift(1-9),etc...) during flights and have 0 crash issues.

Also, Any time I DO need to use the menus, I make a save first, then right click...

-dc4bs

Default Clicking on menus from toolbar in FSX causes crash to Desktop

Hi all,

Been to busy to check if suggested fix with that dll helps or not, going to test it out now.
    I checked those links, seems this menu clicking issue is happeing to a lot of people.
    So it is hard to blame it on a certain video card or driver.
    I post later how I go with suggestions.

As for query on Win 7, I have been using it since Beta came out ( have a Technet subscription)
    I am quite happy with it, I cannot compare with Vista exactly as I am runnign 64bit version of Win 7 RTM, where as my Vista isntallation is the 32bit.
    Maybe it is the extra 4gb of ram 64bit is using, but I foind programs including FSX load a lot faster, even loading flights in FSX.
    I've actually timed it, they load in 1/3 the time they do under Vista.
    My only minor issue with Win 7, that there is no mail program included, e.g Vista had Windows Mail and XP had outlook express etc, i've heard this is because they want people to use Win live, but for pop 3 email, I wil not use that unsecure program.
    I have Office, so not a problem, but it's just one minor issue I don't understand why MS did it. ( I sent them this feedback during beta trial)
    As for drivers and software compatability, it is miles ahead of Vista, especially 64bit, as most will remember when Vista first came out, getting drivers was a nightmare, 3rd parties have been more on the game for Win 7 from my experience.

Anyway, another issue with it is, well it's not a Win 7 issue, it is a FSX issuse, Win 7 has DirectX 11, now FSX only has a DX10 preview.
    I would love to see a new patch for FSX or a new version to take full advanatage of at
    least DX10. Am I wishing for to much?
    I just feel FSX doesn't fully ultlise DX10 cards etc, so we are not getting the performance we deserve.

Anyway that is my rave for the day!!

Cheers
    Phil

Hi Bob G,

No that didn't help
    Although this time it wasn't anything to do with me clicking on menus etc, I was flying a flight from Stanstead to Zurich and while on auto pilot, while I took a break form it about 30 to 40 minites into flight, system just rebooted.
    Yet I cannot find any event or error event in WIn 7 Event viewer.
    All I find is "system shutdown unexpectly" well that tells me a lot!!!
    It doesn't appear to be a over heating problem, as I have Everest, which one can check system tempatures for cpu etc. They dont change much, although as system rebooted, I of course cannot say 100% it is not that.

However doing some search about the UIAutomationCore.DLL, I found this thread at avsim forums.
    There appears more to it that just placing that dll into FSX main folder.

Check it out.
    http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?=...c=249211&st=25

If I understand what they are saying there is you have to regsvr32 that dll into Win 7
    Bit lost what that means, but I shall read more.

Regsvr has to be done via a cmd prompt run as a admin, in the FSX folder.
    It reisgers that dll.
    I'll try that tomrorow.

Thnks Phil
    Last edited by remind; 10-07-2009 at 06:11 AM. Reason: additional info

Quote Originally Posted by remind View Post
    Hi Bob G,

No that didn't help
    Although this time it wasn't anything to do with me clicking on menus etc, I was flying a flight from Stanstead to Zurich and while on auto pilot, while I took a break form it about 30 to 40 minites into flight, system just rebooted.
    Yet I cannot find any event or error event in WIn 7 Event viewer.
    All I find is "system shutdown unexpectly" well that tells me a lot!!!
    It doesn't appear to be a over heating problem, as I have Everest, which one can check system tempatures for cpu etc. They dont change much, although as system rebooted, I of course cannot say 100% it is not that.

However doing some search about the UIAutomationCore.DLL, I found this thread at avsim forums.
    There appears more to it that just placing that dll into FSX main folder.

Check it out.
    http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?=...c=249211&st=25

If I understand what they are saying there is you have to regsvr32 that dll into Win 7
    Bit lost what that means, but I shall read more.

Regsvr has to be done via a cmd prompt run as a admin, in the FSX folder.
    It reisgers that dll.
    I'll try that tomrorow.

Thnks Phil
    I just put it in my FSX folder and it fixed it. I don't know about your situation though

Yep, seems to be okay your way of just putting it it in the FSX folder, I was clicking on menus for over 30 minutes, no CTD, but sim or PC is still not happy, gets to as I said about 40 or so minutes of flying and it just reboots.
    I'll have to test it using Vista and see if same happens.

Not too sure what is too hot a temp for CPU's, but when FSX is running they are about 44 to 46c

Phil

7. Default

I don't have access to a Vista OS box.

I tried simply copying the uiautomationcore.dll from the win7-RC "C:\windows\system32" folder into the FSX home directory and just doing that seems to have fixed it for me. Have not had a menu crash since.

NOTE: I have FSX installed in a dedicated partition but that partition is mounted on the empty folder "C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Games" and has no drive letter associated with it. This way, I was able to install everything at the default path while gaining the benefits of a dedicated partition (50 Gb partition 0 on a 2nd drive).

No idea if that has any affect on my results.

-dc4bs