Thread: Computer Shuts Down while FSX running

Angry Computer Shuts Down while FSX running

The bug's coming now. I never had this problem before. I've been running FSX more than a year and half till now, I got a major problem.

While running FSX, computer just shuts down. It happened a number of times.

After that happened, this was what I did (each shutdown, a new problem occur):

* Rebuilt fsx.cfg because it was corrupted.
    * Installed update video card drivers from Nvidia official website, hard shutdown corrupted my video drivers
    * Reinstalled Sound Card drivers, it went corrupted due to hard shut down by FSX

Despite all that, the problem persists. FSX shuts down the computer. Completely black out.

My system config:

* Memory: more than 3.5 GB
    * Windows XP SP2
    * FSX SP2
    * Nvidia GEForce NX8500GT video card
    * Creative Xi-Fi Sound Card

I fly payware A/C such as PMDG 747, MD-11, Captain Sim 757.

Default Trouble Shooting Shutdown

This could be many things so you need to be methodical in fixing it.

1 run a temp monitor to make sure your CPU is not overheating.

2 If 1 is OK, what Power Supply are you running, it too can overheat and cause shutdowns.

3 If 1 and 2 are verified OK check your video card for overheating.

Sounds like a hardware issue. To add what Jim said, check your HD for errors and bad sectors - might be starting to fail. Heat would be the first place I would investigate. Have you given your rig a good cleaning lately? Those dust bunnies add up quickly.
    Regards, Kendall

Had a similar problem, flying along fine and all of t a sudden, screen goes black and the computer is frozen. Have to hold the power button to shut down and restart the computer. When you say you upgraded the video drivers, are you sure they are for your OS. I was on an upgrade kick and that was the problem. I had gone to 186.something drivers and they were hanging my computer. When I reverted to 185.85 drivers, the shutdown problem went away.
    Also, if you haven't done so, upgrade to FSUIPC 4.5.26. The 4.520 version was also causing some hang-ups. As soon as I upgraded that to the newer version, not a problem since (knock on wood).

Quote Originally Posted by JimPadgett View Post
    This could be many things so you need to be methodical in fixing it.

1 run a temp monitor to make sure your CPU is not overheating.

2 If 1 is OK, what Power Supply are you running, it too can overheat and cause shutdowns.

3 If 1 and 2 are verified OK check your video card for overheating.
    Hi. I run MSI double core center and it says CPU at 45-47 C when idle. Now is that hot?

Quote Originally Posted by Irocx View Post
    Sounds like a hardware issue. To add what Jim said, check your HD for errors and bad sectors - might be starting to fail. Heat would be the first place I would investigate. Have you given your rig a good cleaning lately? Those dust bunnies add up quickly.
    Yeap, I just bought a special vaccuum cleaner for PC.

Quote Originally Posted by mcarvela View Post
    Had a similar problem, flying along fine and all of t a sudden, screen goes black and the computer is frozen. Have to hold the power button to shut down and restart the computer. When you say you upgraded the video drivers, are you sure they are for your OS. I was on an upgrade kick and that was the problem. I had gone to 186.something drivers and they were hanging my computer. When I reverted to 185.85 drivers, the shutdown problem went away.
    Also, if you haven't done so, upgrade to FSUIPC 4.5.26. The 4.520 version was also causing some hang-ups. As soon as I upgraded that to the newer version, not a problem since (knock on wood).
    Yes, so sure cos I ran the update right from Nvidia website.

I read somewhere that there is a utility that you can run to wipe out all the video card drivers. Do you know about that?

I am using FSUIPC V4.3. Now is that obsolete? If i upgrade to 4.5.26 can I still use my exisiting registration?

Thanks for help.

Please define shut down - FS freezes but you still hear sound?

FS freezes and sound is garbled?

FS disappears and you wind up back at the desktop?

Screen goes black?

System reboots?

Nothing works?

How long before this happens?

Same timing every time?

Same flight or different flight?

More info on system would be helpful.

Get a copy of OCCT (freeware) - and run it for an hour - see what happens. If it runs for an hour - it's not heat.

Quote Originally Posted by vgbaron View Post
    Please define shut down - FS freezes but you still hear sound?

FS freezes and sound is garbled?

FS disappears and you wind up back at the desktop?

Screen goes black?

System reboots?

Nothing works?

How long before this happens?

Same timing every time?

Same flight or different flight?

More info on system would be helpful.

Get a copy of OCCT (freeware) - and run it for an hour - see what happens. If it runs for an hour - it's not heat.
    FS does not freeze, the computer just shuts by itself. No warning no nothing.

The system does not reboot, I have to reboot it.

Not the same timing, it happens I guess when the plane is about to touch down in densely poulated scenery.

Different flight.

The system is runnnng on AMD CPU processor, mother board is MSI K9N Neo V3, Win XP SP2, FX SP2 (no acceleration). RAM 4GB, Video Card is MSI NX8500GT ( i think it is 128 MB), Creative X-Fi Exreme Audio Card.

I'll try OOCT, Thanks for your suggestion and comments. Have a good day!

Quote Originally Posted by fahmey View Post
    FS does not freeze, the computer just shuts by itself. No warning no nothing.
    If by that you mean powers down - that is definately a hardware issue - most probably heat related.

Also try running with the case open and see if that changes anything.

use compressed air AND a vacuum to blow out any filters in the system including the graphics card, if it has one.

OCCT should tell you somehting.

Good luck!